anybody use rooster tail for rainbow trout?

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by will21190, Aug 5, 2008.

1. will21190

will21190 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ??????????????????????

2. carpet1

carpet1 New Member

State:
    Ash Flat,Arkansas
    I have But I have better luck with a Rebel crawdad.Rooster tails are a good tho.

3. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Yup got a box with about 20 different patterns. When I fish Upper Redfeild Resevoir it's all I bring for tackle.

Richard

4. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Not much that you can't catch with a roostertail!:big_smile:

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have two mounted that I caught on Yellow Rooster Tails.My single best all around lure for North georgia and East Tennessee was the 1/32 Panther Martin Fly in Gold/Orange and Gold/Yellow.Trout of all sizes and species loved this little bitty lure.I also fished it and Rooster Tails of all sizes in black water rivers and swamps for all fish with success for many years.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

6. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    I use blue fox super vibrax. Rooster tails work good to. Stockers have a thing for silver or gold spinners. For bigger trout i use a 2.5" rapala countdown minnow.

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    rooster tails work for about everything swimming. i also used mepps and blue fox spinners a lot in mountain streams.

8. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    First of all William welcome to the boc!
    I use roostertails for trout, they work really well. I go down to Ky a couple of times a year to kayak and fish the cumberland river and a couple of other places. I tore the trout up with an orange and black roostertail the last time I was there.

9. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I have a small tackle box full of roosters, mepps, anglias and all sort of spinners, spoons and whatever trout concoction made. Ya never know what they will hit. One day Copper and the next yellow and black. After trout season I can cast a lure into a coffee cup at 25 yards.

10. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    I was about ready to tell my best trout and rooster tail fishing trip!!!!! But that Ozzy lol With his new baby pic just want's me to go sleepy:roll_eyes:

11. PuterrMike

PuterrMike New Member

State:
    Mohntana
    I like to use wolly worms(fly fishing) they bite on those like there is no tomarrow. In some spots, redants are good.
    For store bought baits, Balls of Fire work well too. Put three or four of those on a 10 hook, and let it run downstream for like ten seconds, close the bail and bring it in, then do it all over again.
    I got my state limit in 15 minutes doing that. My step dad at the time, got furious cuz I ddnt listen to him.. kept telling me close the damn bail and let it sit. Needless to say, I got our family's limit in a total of an hour, and we ate well for lunch and dinner.
    When fishing for rainbow, go early in the morning til around 10am. Feeding normally stops then til later afternoons. If they don't strike on baits you use, in 35 minutes, use a mepps 0 spinner, gold, then go to nitecrawlers and let it sink til its about 2 feet off the floor.
    It works!
    Post your results.

12. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    If I am not throwing night cwawlers black/gold blade or white silver blade rooster . I like the panther martins just ain't bought one in 20 years and yes roosters will catch multiple salt water species too the hooks don't last long .