Anybody use drum?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Wanderlei, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Wanderlei

Wanderlei New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've just got into catching my own shad but I can usually catch a lot of big drum. Does anybody fish'em live or cut up? I went down to the Muskingum last night with Shad for the first time. They got beat up for the most part. I got 1 channel 2 misses and 2 tied me up on something. I hate cutting line.:angry: I know shad don't live long. But does it matter if they are dead in the water for let's say an hour or two. And then I cut'em up. The coon was my fishing buddy for the evening.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    i've tried them once i didnt get any but i didnt use it long and it was hot and during the day. i say anything you get outta a spot theyt will hit

3. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    welcome to the boc alan!!

4. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have fished them live and cut. I have not had much luck live, but I didn't have much luck on anything those times I tried them live. I have had good luck on them cut.

5. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Welcome to the site Alan. You're gonna like it here. Have tried cut drum only a few times with little success but i'm sure it could work.

6. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I had to stick with the Triangle, i'm not talented enough for Drum.:smile2:

7. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I've used them cut on the GMR and I've always had luck.
    I've yet to try live, I'm sure I will very soon. :eek:oooh:

8. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I have tried them alive and after they die then cut up. I have a lot better luck on them cut up. I only use the mid section. Never had luck on the heads or the tail.

I can catch 6-8" drum pretty easily on just a nightcrawler and on an ultra light rig its fun. I do this while I am waiting for something big to hit my other poles. I put them on ice and freeze them for a later date.

9. WhoJosh

WhoJosh New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    I've had luck on both cut and live durm. I actually got my PB flathead on a live durm. I've been trying new spots with drum, cut and alive, and haven't had any luck. It seems i only catch cats on drum in my old spot on the GMR.

10. ambassadeur

ambassadeur New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I tried them a couple times. I feel like they don't kick around and struggle as much as bluegill or Israeli Carp do. But they're natural forage so using them is worth a shot