Anybody trap for crayfish, aka crawdads, mudbugs

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by tncatfishing, Feb 1, 2008.

1. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Thinking about building some traps and start trying to catch some crawfish. We have a farm that runs along the cumberland river, and have a good size creek that runs through the farm, gonna set out some traps their before to long, And probably going to also set out some small trotlines this summer where the creek opens up to the river. Can a good amount of crawdads be caught in tn waters.

2. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I would imagine so, crawdads(crayfish) have been everywhere that I have been. I used to trap them in Iowa a bit, but since moving to NC I've been unsuccessful. Not in getting them, but keeping the otters from ripping the traps apart to get them before I check them the next morning!

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Growing up I used to just wade out and catch em by hand or by net. I used to have a minnow trap that I never caught anything in. Then again I didnt know what I was doing back then either. Hmmm.....Thanks for the memory, you just solved something that was perplexing me of late. Ohh by the way, theres some good plans on making your own traps.

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Mark I would think you should get as many as ya wanted from where your describing, we set smaller mesh box traps for them here in S Il, about the same type water, also around here never overlook the mud holes and field ditches, they are better around here anyway, and you can also size the hole in the trap to kid of give you a size on what your catching. Meaning we like them up to 3-4 inches and not much bigger for bait, so we make the entry hole a bit smaller than the store bought trap comes. also Seine them here around 1st of may depending on water and weather, out of the sloughs, few hours of that we usually have several 5 gallon buckets filled, then to the tank at home, just build some mesh screens that stick out of the water a bit and keep the water moving (Filtered) and you can have bait all year long, with little work in the spring.

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I use a craw fish drag. And have caught 100+ per hour. Used to drag them and sell them in the spring time to white bass fisherman. Got 5 cents each for them and now there15 cents each. That is around 1 to 2 inches long. Need to find someone in Lower MS.that I could get a truck load at They sell like hot cakes here from now unit end of April.
    Pete
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/crawfish drag/crawfishdrag03.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/crawfish drag/crawfishdrag.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/crawfish drag/crawfishdrag02.jpg

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent

7. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    if you have a walmart with sporting goods department try there. or cabelas or bass pro they both would have them. or buy minnow traps and modifie them. just gotta make the whole bigger. i catch them by the thousands in the summer there good eatin to. they really like rocky bottoms so you might want to throw some rocks in if the bottom is sandy. the best bait you can buy though is bacon its oily and lasts a long time. if you have any more questions send me a message. my name is zeb and my user name is montgomery#1. good luck and hope you catch a bunch. talk to you later.

8. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    mariofish to tncatfishing what is mudbugs:crazy:

9. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    View attachment 36045

We're going to have a bumper crop this year. You can get beau coup commercial traps down here. The mesh size may be too large and let "bait " crawfish out to grow larger for a meal another day.

10. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    YOU SHOULD CATCH AS MANY AS YOU WANT

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Pete, I've never seen crawfish drags in use; do you simply scoot it along the bottom, and what kind of bottom do you look for?

12. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Jerry you pull towards you. Stick it our as far as the handle will allow and then drag it back toward you. The front edge scooting across the bottom.
    Mud or what ever will work. Jerry look for side ditches or old ponds that are not deep. Or a old creek run that is say 1ft deep or so. Muddy the water and then you start catching crawfish. They go down in the ground or hide in Grass. And when you drag a few times go get the water muddy. Then they come out to feed.
    It works great.
    Pete

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    How easy is it to catch the small ones there? Say 1" to 2"? Also do you ever use crawfish pots there to catch them in?
    Would love to find a place to catch a load and bring back here to sell LOL
    Pete

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Thanks for the info, Pete.

15. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I just made me some homemade box traps outta some spare small chickenwire, they have two sides to crawl up fall in and never get back out, i made a spot in the middle to hold cans of tuna, catfood or whatever i decide to put in there, but the canned catfood works the best for me. I just drop'em in and within 15-20 mins i have 50-60 in each trap, i dont eat'em or anything, mainly just sell them to local bait shops...

16. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    Crawfish are a huge "aquaculture" crop. They are raised primarily for consumption. We have"Pond" raised crawfish where often rice fields are flooded after harvest and they feed on the decaying stubble. "Spillway" crawfish feed on plant matter as seasonal flood waters rise thoughout the bottoms. Early in the season, they are very small but grow rapidly until mid-May or so.(depending on water levels). As the water levels return to natural bayous, the shells become very hard and they return to make mud burrows.You'll see "mud stacks" in the summer coming out of the ground.

Crawfishpots? All commercial guys make their own using wire. The wire is much like"poultry" wire and coated sections joined together small wire rings.
    My hat's off to the commercial guys catching them. It's hard work moving a boat through the flooded bottoms with a go devil dodging balls of snakes-gators- in the cypress trees. It's alot easier to buy them from vendors along the roadways or at packing plants.

17. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i always catch crawdads with my mesh minnow trap, i think they get stuck trying to get to the trapped minnows, you can pick up a mesh minnow trap anywhere, i got mine at cabelas, throw some bread in the bait pocket, come back and their should be as many crawdads as minnows. ive also had more luck with seining them with a 4x4 seine in a small creek.

good luck

18. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i just catch em by hand reaching under rocks and up in the tree roots here at the local pond

19. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    When I was able. I could take the crawfish drag I posed the picture of. And catch a 1000 per hour and some times up to 3000 per hour. These would average 1 1/2".
    Hard to do that by hand.
    Pete

20. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The best way I have found to catch crawdads is by saining them in faster moving water, so that when the rock is lifted, the current helps sweep them into your sain. This is most easily done with two people. I also catch a lot of crawdads in my minnow traps if I leave them in too long.