Anybody strictly fish with real bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by altcatmaster, Jan 2, 2010.

1. altcatmaster

altcatmaster New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I see all these posts about all these different baits, blood, garlic, dough, stink and all things imaginable. Is there anyone that actually uses bait caught from the waters you fish religiously? I catch all my own bait crawfish, minnows, bream and tadpoles I always thought Hotdogs, liver, gizzards and such were to eat and soap was fer washin...I keep bullheads year round so I always got live bait and keep dead ones froze for cut bait

2. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    yep thats all i use is live bait or cut bait. sometimes stinkbait in the backwaters for channels.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yes, I use all live or fresh cut bait. I tried bullheads, alive and cut, and never had a bite on them. I prefer shad.

Bill in SC

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I quit using stink bait years ago,nowdays its fresh shad,cut carp or minnows and occasionally small bluegills

5. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yep, Live,, kickin' and a swimmin', fresh cut, and/or nightcrawlers..

6. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Nothin' but LIVE or Freshly CUT:wink:

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I prefer shad or live black perch but don't limit myself to that. I'll try green persimmons if they'll bite it.

8. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    All I ever fish with is cut bait which I catch while walking up and down the river bank with a castnet or sabiki rig. All I fish for are blues and I only want to catch big ones. Worms and other baits are fine if you want to catch little blues and channels 5lb and under. Good luck.

9. nateD

nateD New Member

State:
    IN
    i use shad or skipjack, alive or cut. i also like blue gill and suckers. i have used stink bait but not much. only caught small channels on it. im not affraid to try any different bait though.

10. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    I use live shad, cut shad are live bream. If I'am taking a kid fishing i will use some secret 7 dip bait on 2 rods. It helps to keep them busy...

11. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I primarily flathead fish and use live gills. I don't even feel like fishing if all I have is cut bait....
    What's stinkbait?:roll_eyes:

12. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Stinkbait???? I'm all natural (except for those Cumberland River frozen skips).

13. niteangler

niteangler New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    All i use is live or freshly cut bait, every now and then chicken livers but have only caught small ones with the liver.

14. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    I very seldom will use something that is store bought, almost always it is cut or live bait. i prefer live to cut, as i target flats mostly and the live bait seems to do the best work. every once in a blue moon if the fish aren't biting and my fishing buddy has some, i will use some stink or bought bait more as a last ditch effort to catch a small channel or something to make the trip not a waste.

15. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    if im fattie flattie fishing i use live bream, live shad,live anything really...carp and 12 inch large mouth :)

blues, and channels id say cut bait works best, but the old school chicken liver does the job aswell as the trout chow i make up. blues love it!

16. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    I do have some Secret 7 in the boat, but it does not get much use except when I've got the grand kids at the tank at home. Mainly gizzard shad, some threadfin, and cut buffalo.

17. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    It's pretty much only cut or live bait for me. I have never had any luck on prepared baits. Livers of all kinds work REALLY well.

18. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    99% of the time I'll have live bait out on a couple rods for Flatties. I'll have fresh cut bait from my live bait that dies on another 1 or 2 for Blues.
    During the warmer months I usually don't even go if I can't get plenty of live bait to take.
    Winter months I'll use whatever baits are left over in my freezer...Shad, Skipjack, Gills, Etc.

19. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I mostly fish for channels. I usually use cut bait. I sometimes use live sunfish. I have no need for anything else.

20. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Live or cut bait. Nothen ses dinner served to 50+lb blues like a half pound chunk of fresh bloody carp fillet. I have used some prepared baits and store baits in the past like corn, livers and $20 side of salmon. Any more I just want live or fresh cut. Worms are still on the top of my list it always amazzed me how many 30+ flatts and blues I get on a ball of worms fished in a good spring time rise.