ANYBODY STILL FISHING?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by rwg, Oct 2, 2009.

1. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    Anybody still fishing? I know hunting season has started and the kids are back in school, but I know so of us diehards are still at it. I'm heading out sunday to my faorite sfl to make one more run after the channels. Will give some results on monday good or bad, would love to see what the rest of your are catching. Its been a little slow on the old web site
    this week RWG :big_smile:

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Still fishin.:wink: It has been quiet on here.
    Not doin a whole lot of catchin though.:smile2: Been WINDY the last few days, and they keep switchin directions.:sad2: Bite is almost non existant on the rivers. Thinkin about hittin a SFL somewhere myself this weekend. Supposed to be light winds.:big_smile:
    This fall is looking like it will be fast and I dont think there is much time left for the flatheads. Water temp was 63 last weekend in the mornin, warmed up to 67. Id bet its even cooler now.
    Now if we can just get a few days of consistent weather Id be set.:tounge_out:

3. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    Sunday is going to be in the 70s, hope the wind will drop, 'll go anyway, windy or not. did very well 2 weeks ago so one more time, still haven't got a goodone for my avitar yet but maybe sunday

4. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Roger, The channels are still biting in the lake's around me just not many over 10lbs got one at 12lbs the other night an got a 4 an 7lber last night only fished for a few hours seems they are in really deep water like 20+' Also I have switched over to bottom fishing.

5. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Joe4bigkats and I went to Tuttle today for my first trip in the new boat and caught some nice channels and lost a couple big fish to. We were catching fish in 14 to 19 1/2ft of water in submerged trees on mud banks. We also got shad for this winter and early spring. 3 casts with my 8ft net and 1 topped off to the rim 5gal bucket full. About 30lbs of shad I'm guessing.

Later,
    Chris

6. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Chris, Sounds like a fun trip thanks for sharing. How big were the shad??were they close to the bank?? If so maybe I can find them in my shad lakes around here throwin from the bank.

7. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Shelby I found them in a ft of water on a west bank. They are 5 to 8inches. The fish would only hit the heads today.

8. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Milford is slow right now too, but sure to pick up soon. I'll get 2 or 3 eater's each time, and a "smoker" every once in awhile. Been to windy to take the Toon out, but hopefully this weekend will be okay. Need to catch a couple of limits this weekend so I'll have enough to smoke for the mini.

9. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Very slow everywhere around Winfield. Got some nice hits, but only landed a 7lb Channel. Not giveing up till the fat lady sings.

10. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Chris way to break in your new boat.And nothing better than shad scales/slime the 1st time out either.

I need to get out and stock some up myself.

11. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    The winds stopped at about dark so Ashley and I went for an hour.
    Caught a 7 lb flathead on cut shad.

Attached Files:

12. Circlehook Jester

Circlehook Jester New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Outstanding Kyle! Love to see those flatheads caught! :smile2:

13. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Nice flat Kyle:smile2::wink: Have you caught any on live bait this year?? Thanks for posting the pic.

14. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Yeah, I have gotten a few on live bait. Cut has definately been the better producer, caught the 23 on a gut pocket.
    Almost always fished them together and cut is what got hit. I have gotten some nice ones on live though, a 19, 17, 16 and a few 13s off of the top of my head. I didnt post alot of fish.
    Most of all the other flatheads came on cut bait.
    13# is the magic number this year, I think I got 10-12 of em,.:tounge_out::smile2:
    Ashley got a 13# too a few weeks ago.:smile2:

Attached Files:

15. stubhub

stubhub New Member

State:
    mulvane
    i've just gotten back into fishing, pretty much just fish the small ponds, pulled a 6lb channel out last week.
    Where do you guys go to pull the big flatheads, or channels?
    The only big lake i've been to this year was Winfield and i caught a small channel and some small bluegill and sunfish, you guys fish rivers and lakes, or just where?

16. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Welcome Matt. Winfield Lake is a good place to get a big flathead. You live around there?
    I try to fish as many places as I can. There is some pretty good waters if you look hard enough.
    Come up to the Milford Mini and you might get a nice blue.:wink:

17. stubhub

stubhub New Member

State:
    mulvane
    kinda, i live just south of derby in little mulvane, 30 min south of wichita, so winfield isn't that bad of a drive, i go on the kdwp website and look at fishing reports to see where to get them, but i've seen only one place somewhat close with reports of catching up to 15 lb channel, and that's butler, and they've no reports on rivers. Just tryin to figure out where the big ones are.

Also, what setups do you use...rods, reels, line, etc., still real new, used to just go with my dad and it was all set up for me, so I'm learnin from scratch.

Thanks

18. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Id be willing to get with ya sometime and show you the ropes.
    Butler has some big channels in it. Nice little lake.
    Runnin out of time to catch flatheads and channels on the rivers around here.
    Biggest advice I can give is dont expect the big one to come easy.:wink:
    I use a little bit of everything as far as gear, some spinning, some casting. Almost all have 30# mono on em. M/H rods and kahle hooks, 5-10/0.

19. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Hi Matt, welcome to the hood. I'm pretty close to you, over between Derby, & Rosehill. Winfield, and Wellington are the closest, but actually it only takes an extra 10 minutes to get to ElDorado or several other lakes. 45 minutes in any direction will get you to some water. If you know someone who will give you access to the Arkansas, you can usually find a hole or two. Other than that we've gotta drive a ways.

20. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    Welcome to the BOC Matt. You'll find alot of river reports w/pictures as well as lake reports.

Nice looking yellow cat Ashley. Kyle how come you got a channel and Ashley got a yellow? lol.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009