anybody seen primers for sale?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by massa_jorge, Jan 18, 2010.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i am trying to find primers to reload for my .30-06. i think that takes large rifle primers. does anyone know who has any in stock? also i am considering sierra game king bullets instead of the pro hunters i normally shoot. is there that big of a difference, or should i stick with what i have? thanks.

2. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Primers can be tough to find, but they are becoming available. Just check with you local reloading store. As far as the two Sierra bullets go; they are the same, one just has a boat tail. The boat tailed bullets fly a little flatter, but don't hold together as well at impact, though Sierra hunting bullets are not known for their penetration anyway.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jordan,I ain;t looked for any primers in two years ,As my buddy at work has a FFL, and gave me 3,000 for a Christmas presant in 08. I use the pro hunters in my son's 7//08 and the Gamekings in my 243 now,I havent shot a deer yet with my newest loading in my 243 yet. I'll let you know how they work with it. I have been shooting Speer 100 gr SPBT in it with good results. Most people around here swear by ,not at Sierra bullets,

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I shot a small deer with Sierra Game King BTSP bullets this year at close range. Death was instantanious, and it went all the way through. It's heart and lungs were actually hanging out the other side. Not saying good or bad because I was only 20-30 yards away. Will have to pop a few more before I "swear by it". I think they are good for deer, though. Mabe not so good for bull elk like in NJ CLAD's avatar. Jeezus!

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i hear ya matt! elk are in a class by themselves, then there's NJ_CLAD's elk! awesome beast for sure. i have shot some big deer and hogs with the pro hunters and have yet to recover any bullets. i guess i will stick to them. short, if any, blood trails. i will keep looking for some primers. it was good to see midway had every type of powder in stock, maybe primers are next. a lot of stuff seems to be coming down lately. i actually found 2 armalite .223's for $750-800 today. thanks for the replies guys. i have a buddy who is loading for me, i just have to buy components. STILL haven't jumped off the deep end into reloading. thanks again.

6. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    I'm finding primers, sp to lr. 28 to 40 per K. Depending on which store, Nashville, TN area.
    www.wideners.com had some last I checked. But add hazmat 22.50 to order.

7. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    2nd the Widener's. Ordered 5000 lrg rifle on Wed and sitting on my doorstep on Friday. These are Wolf brand, seem to be the easiest to find for about the last year or so and do a good job on going bang!

8. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    I have been lucky enough to start seeing primers in stock at my local gun stores. The big box stores don't seem to have any thing in stock. Prices are going from 26 to 40 a thousand. Even the powders seem to be kept in stock and at reasonable prices.

9. airdrop

airdrop New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    www.powdervalleyinc.com they have a good sellection of powder,primers, brass , bullets. Nice folks in kansas , it's wholesale retail . I've used the serria game king in .270 an there good .

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010