Anybody see the changes to the '10 regs?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by smhmc6, Jan 5, 2010.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    One of the changes for this year is that harvesting blue, channel, and flathead catfish using archery tackle is legal in waters without a length limit :Mad:. This pretty much means its legal on the rivers, cause I don't know of a lake or pond that doesn't have a length limit. I think most of our waters are murky enough that the number of catfish taken with a bow would be relatively low, so I'm not sure it will have a terrible impact on things. However, its just one more step towards classifying catfish as "non-sportfish." If that would happen then that would cause a huge impact on catfish (no length limits/ creel limits). In my opinion it just kind of shows KDWP attitude toward catfish and its not "selective harvest."

2. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I guess one good thing is that they changed the rule that said you can't use bait over 10 or 12 inches or whatever it was. Well atleast for shad. You can use whatever size shad you want now.

3. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    There are several lakes that don't have a length limit on blues, channels and flathead. :Mad:

4. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    :Mad::Mad: I just wanted to make a post to join in with the new angry face! LOL :Mad::Mad:

5. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Well now what will help them to prevent and conquer the zebra mussle. If they don't have a length limit on the mussle eaten blues. Then it s the white perch. ok that rolls over to the blues and the flatheads. Channels follow suit and eat all of the above.:Mad:

6. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    That sucks for sure . :Nop:

7. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    lmao !!

8. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Unfortunately Milford Lake is one of them:Mad:

9. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    " Take the outdoors for what it is , Gods gift that you will love and care for forever" To bad the damn KD of Worthless P _ _ _ _ S don't look at it this way.:Mad:

10. CBurns87

CBurns87 New Member

State:
    Topeka Kansas
    I want to join in too....i didnt even know that you could shoot a catfish using archery...but i want to do the mad faces along with you:Happy:

:Mad::Mad::Mad::Mad::Mad::Mad::Mad::Mad:

11. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I havent looked at the regs, but that does suck. Ive seen some videos of bowfishin for flatheads and they were very productive chasin them in the shallows with a spotlight. Hopefully it doesnt become very popular.
    Doesnt seem like its beneficial at all. Whose side are they on???? LOL!

12. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'm not for bow fishing for catfish but I honestly doubt very many people are going to be doing it. In the end I don't think it will hurt the populations much. Seems like trot lining would be a much more productive way to harvest catfish. Don't get me wrong I don't plan to trot line or shoot catfish for that matter.

13. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I wouldn't underestimate how many people will do it. They wouldn't have changed the reg if several request hadn't been made to do it.

14. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    im gonna noodle em, hook em on my trot line so they cant move far, then shoot em with my bow, nail em to a tree on main street, and go home

15. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    now i love bowfishin BUT i aint gonna shoot no catfish, its been legal in PA ever sine i can remember, i had oppertunities to shoot em, just never have. pity to see kansas goin in that direction, seein as most bowfishers just throw what they shoot up on the bank and leave it for the opossums and raccoons. oh ya and heres my mad face:Mad:

16. sand rat

sand rat New Member

State:
    kansas
    I just found out about the new bow fishing reg. yesterday myself.:Mad: I just about lost it, I don't lose my cool very often, but this one had me really up set. When all it takes is a few people to approach KWP and change a LAW for their own personal FUN, that could have a detrimental impact on a sport fishery that impacts all the people in Kansas is just WRONG.

I bow fish,and shooting a FLATHEAD or any other cat is WRONG,WRONG,WRONG. :Mad:Their is no CPR with a bow. We all like to catch BIG, BIG, catfish, at least that's why I catfish, and in Kansas those big, really big fish are few and far between.

Their is plenty of REALLY big carp and gar to keep any good bow fisher happy. Why our BIG CATFISH?

It has taken me a LIFE TIME to learn how to fish for these BIG catfish!!!!!!!!! Their is no challenge, no learning, no dreaming of the DAY, when I finely hook a record, with a bow. Its shoot and KILL for 5min of fun. Hell lets just use explosives, big firecrackers sounds like a fun time. Bring back the old telephone method, that sounds like good way to get decimate big cats. Open up snagging, now theirs a real sport.

Personally I think, its just my opinion, but this LAW is one that needs to be REPELLED stopped dead in its tracks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sand Rat

17. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    You have said what I feel. The word is "repeal" I think...

18. Charlie365

Charlie365 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I thought the trend was supposed to be for KDWP to work harder at "listening to the public" and increasing the open communications on both sides. Why wouldn't they publish new regulations that are being considered as part of their public meetings to get everyone's input BEFORE they enact a new rule??

Seemed like this was pretty much the way they handled the "hand-fishing" as I remember they were asking everyone to provide their input and comments. Don't think that happened in this case.

I don't think pursuing any gamefish should be legal with a bow. There is a general regulation against "wanton waste" which I think would make it illegal to just throw them on the bank to rot IF KDWP wanted to enforce it. And with a bow shouldn't they have to have a hunting AND fishing license both??

So I guess I disagree with both the new regulation AND the way it was created !!

Charlie

19. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Who is suggesting these rule changes? or a better question is who are they requesting change the rules. If it just takes a few I think we could get some big things done if we just knew where to start... just about forgot the mad face:Mad:

20. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I sent an email off to the head of the Kansas Fish and Game lets see if they get back with me.

Here is mine! :Mad: