Anybody run hogs with dogs?

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by jlingle, Sep 4, 2007.

1. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I've got a buddy who recently got a few hog dogs & we're kinda learning as we go. Do any of you guys have dogs & run the hogs?

2. WOOD18

WOOD18 New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    I DO BUT IT DON'T WORK VERY WELL BUT WE'RE TRYING.

3. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!! I'm looking for someone who knows what the heck they're doing. You and I are the rookies here, I need professional help.

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    First.If you got hog dogs,they know what to do.If they don;t,they ain;t hog dogs.Best if you can find Some one experienced to go with and learn.If you are catching hogs,you will need "Trail","Bay" and "Catch" dogs.If you just want them to "Bay" so that you can get them to hold until you arrive,many dogs will do.They just need to learn to trail,run and bay.You do not want a dog that will fight the hog for a Bay dog.You will find a fighting dog "Gutted" by a hog before you get there sooner or later.Some will,some won;t.I came up catching hogs with the old open range law in Georgia.The worst part was turning that mad hog loose after you got through with it.The dogs have to get it tired of running or just fighting mad before they will bay.Rat Terriers,Treeing Feist and Mountain Cur often make good bay dogs for Hog and Bear.So do Catahoula Leopard dogs.Stay away from the white,white face and glass eye ones as some claim that they have up to 80% chance of being deaf and will pass on the gene even if they are not.I accidentally came up with a Beagle and a Springer Spaniel That would chase a hog that would run,bay a hog that will bay and bring a hog that will chase them right back to between your legs.Great meat dogs,but almost got me killed.I indistinctly killed a Boar with a .22 Ruger as it was inside the end of my shotgun barrel so that I could not use it.We have thickets waist to chest high where you can not see your feet and that is a favorite place for hogs to bay.More men and dogs have been maimed and killed by hogs in these thickets than all the rest put together.Same goes for Bear.Avoid them at all cost.Also remember that the dogs and the hog ain;t worth your life or even worse leaving you with being a cripple like me for your family to take care of for the rest of your life.I personally know of it happening to two different very experienced hog hunters about 15 years apart.One crippled,one dead hog hunting.Both had families to support.Remember that your dogs will have to be penned securely for the rest of their life or destroyed as they will attack domestic hogs as quick as wild ones.I remember a young man having to pay for over 40 40-60 pound Shoats that his "Catch dog"killed when it got out.It is a hard,brutal dangerous way to hunt.Dog,doctor and vet bills are expensive.Can you really afford it?Have your sewing center order you a spool of black silk thread,get you a assortment of small curved needles from Wal-Mart craft department and practice till you can sew your dog,your buddy and yourself up in a bind.Get you a bag of the big old fashion "KOTEX MAXI PADS' and carry 3 or 4 with you and something to tie them on a leg or around a torso with.They don;t make no better for keeping man or dog from bleeding out before you can get to help.Now as hogs do root in and eat feces,get your Tetanus shot.A scratch from a dead hog can kill you without it.Now if you still have the fever,have fun.You also could join the Marines,ask for Boot Camp at Paris Island,SC. in July and get paid for having about the same kind of fun.Luck.Let us know how you make out.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

5. WOOD18

WOOD18 New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    PEEWEE, sounds like you know how to tell a story. Let me tell you about our experience the other night. Turned the dogs lose and walked a ways before my older more experienced dog sniffed the hogs out. My two pups acted like they wanted to go but were afraid. Me and Jerrod got to the area where she was trying to get one bayed and got the two pups closer and they took off but I don't think they ever exactly found them. The older dog was all over the place chasing hogs. I think we walked right through them. We decided it would be better if we backed out and waited to see if the older dog was going to bay one. Finally she got one right up pretty close and one of my pups went to her as she yelped when she got hit. I guess that hog took off and never would stop. All of the dogs ended up coming back, one of the pups got a pretty good scrape I don't think sshe ever got into the action but she sure was inquisitive about what was going on.
    My pups are Kerr with a touch of greyhound, my older dog is Kemmer Kerr. The pups had seen a hog before in a bay penn and loved it, they bayed them hogs till they give out. one hog got lose and my pups beat the Kemmer to it.
    I think i am going to have some fun with this thing. It might actually get me in shape and slim me down, and I will have some stories to tell.

6. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I had a uncle who caught hogs,cut their tusk,carried them out the swamps,and neutered them.If they were alive 3 days later,they were wormed and inoculated.About 1 out of 5 old Boars and even old Bulls will "sulk and die" when cut.Shock maybe?They were then fed corn to fatten and to flush out as a hog will taste like what it has been eating and it will feed on a rotten carcass.It also got rid of the strong Boar taste.The hogs were then sold to butcher.Others around did the same.People trusted me to catch and hold a hog while they tied and I could flip and tie a hog if someone else held.Always needed help to tote these hogs out,but few were or could be trusted to hold or tie.Most will turn loose and run when in trouble.This gets every one hurt worse.Ain;t many that will still hold or tie while a hog is cutting or has cut them.A dead hog was failure,and is often only fit for cooking for dog food.A small piece of flesh sliced off and thrown on a hand full of fire will tell you if it is fit to eat by the smell.If you are use to hogs,you can tell by the smell of a live hog at times.If your dogs ran up on a drove of hogs,they were lucky.Mostly they all run.Sometimes they will gang up and fight.This can get you and the dogs in a heap of trouble.I have even seen domestic hogs do this to dogs when they use to put hundreds in a fenced corn field to "hog it off".I helped catch hogs because I liked and cared for the poor folks that did it because their families needed the money.I never took a cent.I did often work for or help folk when they needed help with stock."I had a knack for it" I was told.It was not done for sport.It was often done at night as we all worked during the day.Farmers and sharecroppers don;t have days off and often work days and nights for weeks at the time.People would call that wild hogs were raiding their fields at night,Like I said.If it gets too expensive,there is always Paris Island SC in July for the same kind of training and then they will send you off where the "thrills"are even better.The Hogs too will have guns.You can get the ultimate thrill if it is the danger that you are after.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

7. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I don't have dogs to run hogs but a buddy found a place in Corsicana TX. It's a 20 acre maze field full of hogs. My advice to you is be careful. A few weeks ago some guys were running dogs and lost 4 to the hogs. That must have been a big boar.

8. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    guys, Yall listen up to Mr. PeeWee. He knows what he's talking about. I've hunted hogs most of my life, grew up between the Red and Sulphur Rivers in ne Texas, back in the day before hog hunting was cool. I've never been seriously hurt hunting. Do most of my hunting with bow these days and truly, have had some close calls, mostly when I was packing my bow with my buddies that have hog dogs. Had a big boar in a creek bottom a year or so back that way bayed by my firends 2 dogs. HE called the dogs off (which is rare) and the boar looked and me, and began coming up the slope for me! I made a spine shot about about 12 yards MUCH TOO CLOSE. I have a good buddy that has been cut up badly by hogs. Don't overlook a young, fast boar that might weigh only 125 pounds, especially one with tusks. They can do more damage as a big boar, maybe more because they are fast as lightning.
    Remember what PeeWee said about boot camp. Well, he's not kidding. I've been there too Peewee, on the west coast at MCRD. I suggest unless you're willing to learn hog hunting with dogs from a pro, stick to stand hunting over corn or some of OLE LUKE'S WILD HOG PASTE as bait! Good hunting to you, Luke Clayton

9. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    Luke,

I'm an aspiring hog hunter in east Tennessee. Will your paste be considered a "bait" or an "attractant" by the game warden? Shooting anything over bait is illegal in TN, even nuisance hogs. If it will be considered an attractant, I'm very intetrested in it.

Keith

10. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Bubble Head Luke.I am very familiar with Paris Island though.Thanks!I do worry every time I hear "Hog Hunting".I think that few really realize the danger.Few now have ever been blindsided by a unknown hog coming to the rescue of the squealing one you are tied up handling.Surprise!Surprise!You never ever know with a hog.I once came up on a sow nursing pigs on the river bank while quietly easing along fishing with the wind in my favor.She saw or smell me,jumped up and mashed a pig.The squealing pig drove her crazy.She bailed off that 3 ft.river bank and came swimming for my boat.I was in a small wooden boat made for paddling.It was everything that I could do to keep the boat from turning over as she attacked it for over 100 yards downriver.She took chunks out of the cypress sides.Hog attacks were not uncommon in those days when fishing the Savannah River Wildlife Refuge.I have been on my back after slipping,rolled on my side and drove my fist down a 300+ lb. sows throat while swinging at her snout.Probably saved my life.I could feel her gullet around my arm way above my wrist.She backed off and ran off after her squealing pig that caused it all.I had scrape marks from under my arm pit to the tips of my fingers on both sides of my arm.Two hours later I was scratching this old sow again as she was just a big pet.I had my old Jump Boots cut through for 7 inches once and I was only scratched.Yes I do worry about hog hunters.You seldom ever hear of them being injured or killed in the news as you do drownings and gunshot.It ain;t news.I really do believe that the keeping of some of the worlds most poisonous snakes is far safer.It was for me.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

11. CatfishJohn.612

CatfishJohn.612 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I used to run dogs here in texas with a good friend of mine but gave it up because of way too many close calls. Some of which I or my buddy had barely escaped injury. PeeWee is right on the money about the hogs busting out of the brush in response to the squells of other pigs. I once came a little to close to a 350lb boar that rushed me from behind when we were breaking our catch dog off a smaller hog. He had busted out at a dead run straight towards me from about 8 yards away. He would of cut my left calf if it was'nt for my gators. I ended up putting a 300 grain .44 JHP in his right ear at point blank range on the 4th charge. Also we ended up losing 2 dogs to that big boar that nite. Now I just play it safe and stand hunt them. No sense in pushing my luck.

12. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I went to college in Magnolia Ark, next to la. Have done some dawg huntin and it's quite exciteing to say the least. In my opinion there are only 2 kinds of hog dawgs, good ones an dead ones. They don't call em "poor mans grizzle" for nothing.

13. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    In my opinion there are only 2 kinds of hog dawgs, good ones an dead ones. They don't call em "poor mans grizzle" for nothing. that's what michael vick said about fighting pit bulls also!!!!!!!!

14. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Yea but he didn't take the same chance right alongside his dogs like the Hog Hunters and Texas Cattlemen who used "Dawgs" in the Texas brush and hills.The "Texas Lacy"is a fine example of such a stock dog from Cattle & Hogs to Turkey drives.Do you reckon the same screen writer wrote "Poor mans grizzle" that wrote "I'm your huckleberry"?One for a public comment,one for a movie line?People do hire folk for such,just like the movie did.Those Georgia boys where "Doc".came from did not and still don't try to bull manure some one to death.Anybody that wants to know how old "Doc." was raised can go to a Valdosta or Cobbtown Georgia pool hall and slap some one.They leave the smart mouths to the screen writers and the cowards who fight animals.If the Michael Vick's of the world had half the gut's of their animals,they would be in a ring somewhere fighting another man till one died.And yes I do believe that such still goes on and that wealthy people like Michael Vick go to the countries that have it for it.Not in the ring mind you.That takes guts.He can kill,but he cain;t join up and take a chance on him getting killed.Does seem to be a epidemic with this disease.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

15. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Anyone who would run a dog against wild hogs would abuse their own children. I care a great deal for my dogs and I would never train them to hunt a hog and be able to watch my dogs get killed.

Such "sportsmen" would also bee seen gleefully cheering on at a dogfight or cockfight with fists full of money. Immorality is the same in every language.

16. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Easy fellows, i just made the statement of good dawgs. Never said a word about Vick and his pitbull fights. And if one of you don't think a feral hog isn't a poor mans grizzle, wade on in on one bayed in a briar thicket an catch him. Let me know how that comes out.:smile2:

17. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I've hunted feral hogs in west Texiz, Mississippi and in Arkansas... they're all too mean to sic a good dog on. I was satisfied to sit in a tree or in my parked pickup while in hog country.

Any man that will get in the brush with them either got a vacuum under his topknot or cajones big enough to hide behind.:smile2:

18. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I've been twice in TX, very exciting hunting for hunters and dogs. But I noticed that the hunters love their dogs and will do anything to help them if injured. Glad to say we caught hogs both times and no dogs got hurt. I know it's dangerous...BUT when hunting hogs the dogs really seem to love to do it, it's fun for them. And the dog has a chance to run the other way if they so choose...they are not in a confined area. So I don't think it's really a fair comparison, a fighting dog has no choice - fight or die! and if injured, easier to put em down.

mike

19. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Well,I beat my kids butt when I thought they needed it.If you can't train a dog,you will surly get it killed.If you can't watch your dog die,you surly need to stay away from people.I watched my 13 year old Brother bleed out in the bed of a pickup truck with his throat cut from ear to ear when I was 16.I had seen a lot more people dead,dieing and various stages of decomposing before him.I knew human anatomy way before high school.That is life.If you can't handle whatever life hands you,stay away from it.It will jump on you ever chance it gets.Never caught hogs as a sport.Never new it was.Some call Golf a sport and yet cripples like me can ride around in a cart and play it as a professional.P poor excuse for a sport.I helped catch hogs and sewed up the men and dogs because I was needed.It was a way of life and helped feed their families with the hogs and the crops it saved.Never went to a animal fight in my life or let anyone have one of my animals that I knew did.Man wanted to buy my game Roosters for such.Good price.I told him no.He said he "would be back,I would sell".I said"over my dead body"He said "that can be arranged".I told him to "leave and if I ever saw him on my property,I would kill him on sight".He said that "he was kidding".I told him "I was not".I called the Sheriff and reported the conversation.It must be the vacuum under the hat.This was not a sport.Stock had been handled this way for 200 years in this country under the open range laws.These young folk are the ones hollering sport.As I said,It was brutal hard work for man and dog.No more no less.They train dogs to attack dangerous people and sniff out bombs.Why is this OK?It is perfectly legal to have them shot,blown up or executed by the vet or pound if you no longer want the dog.Yet you think it is wrong for the dog to take the same chance as a man with a hog?It all may be wrong,but it is all legal.Looks to me no more no less morally wrong to shoot game as a dog.Both feel it the same when shot.I have never been shot,though it was not for the lack of people trying repeatedly.People who have didn't like it.I ain't judging anyone.There are already two many doing that with no experience whatsoever in my opinion.I am afraid that people are going to get hurt or killed with this craze as I call it.They did back when folk were very good at it with a lot of experience.Somebody better be very good at holding someones guts in till they can get them to a hospital.This will happen sooner or later.I love you Brothers and sisters.peewee

20. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Easy Albert. I know you wouldn't say things like that about me on purpose now, would ya? Hope not. I'm not a child beater, nor a dogfighter. But I am getting into the sport of hog hunting with dogs. There are dogs specifically bred to catch and/or bay hogs & there is plenty of products out there to help protect them during their hunts. Yes, they get hurt occasionally (I'm learning) but that isn't the name of the game.