Anybody recognize this pic at dillon spillway

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by tspergin, Mar 2, 2007.

1. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    bass massy do you know this guy

2. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    i don't reconize the guy, but i do remember that summer. Water was very low that summer and for some reason i had really good luck with the flatties. That was the first summer i caught a flathead, and i caught probably around 10 on about a dozen trips. I was new to hunting down the big brutes and that was the summer i found the B.O.C while doing a yahoo search for Muskingum river flatheads, lol. that was before i caught my own bait, and i spent a fortune everytime i went out for a trip on the river. I can't wait to come home to visit the waters where it all began for me........

3. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    We will be waiting for ya, even try to save some flats for your next trip back lol. Are you having any luck figuring out where to fish the Altmaha yet?

4. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    whats up skip, i cant wait to come back home for some good ohio fishing. this time im gonna make sure it's not during the flathead spawn, and hopefully the rivers won't be out of their banks. Yeah i have a pretty good idea of what stretch I'm going to fish, which is supposed to have the highest density of flatheads in it. That part of the state is pretty remote and there isn't very much road access to the river as far as i know. The bioligist from the georgia DNR gave me loads of info though and said as long as the river is within it's banks there are sandbars on nearly every river bend, as well as plenty of submerged timber. I'm gonna call him in a few weeks and ask more questions, he seems pleased to answer anything i want to know. I'm also going to call for updates on water temp. im gonna make my first trip when water temp. is around 65. I think they will be moving around a lot getting geared up for the spawn.That is when i will rent some canoes with some buddies and float downstream to find a nice sandbar to camp out on for a couple of nights. That stretch of river is about 3 hrs. south of where i am at, I want to try to fish it atleast 5 times this year.

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Aaron when the water gets to 57 degrees you should be out there. Don't wait till it hits 65. By 65 to 70 they are holed up on whatever spot they picked out to spawn in. You'll have to be right on top of them to get hit. ( they have to stay put to protect their spot). They start to spawn once the water temp hits 70. But from 57 to 65 they will all be moving, searching for a place. This is the best temp to catch multiple fish as well as larger fish. With more fish moving around looking you have a better chance of connecting with one. Just look for long stretches with wood cover spread along the bank in 4 to 10 ft of water. You don't have to target specific logs, just find a 100 or 300 yard section with lots of wood and set up in the middle or upper third. The fish will come to you durring the pre-spawn. Remember to always put one bait on the bank in 1 or 2 ft of water. I have caught some 40lb range fish in 2 ft of water. WOOD, WOOD, WOOD. Make sure you let me know how your trip works out.

6. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    sounds like a plan to me........i hope i can find a bank spot along a nice stretch. I know there is an althamaha park, which is where the ga gathering is gonna be in may. maybe i will go check that out in a couple of weeks and hold the canoe trip off until mid-summer. Your knowledge and advice is always appreciated buddy. By the way i just saw your reply in the post about the shimano. I'm gonna go ahead and get one once my taxes come back. Kinda suprised me you had a spinning reel, i though you were a strictly baitcastin guy. again thanks for the advice skip.

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I used them for a year till I got brave enough to buy a 6500 Abu. Its all history after that lol.