Anybody own a Hi-Point C9 9mm Pistol?

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by catfishjohn, Sep 26, 2008.

1. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Anybody own one of these? Or does anybody know anything about them? I've read a ton of reviews, some good and some bad. For the price, made in the USA and the unlimited lifetime warranty it sounds like a really good deal. I'm looking for a cheap 9mm to keep in my tackle bag and for a home protection gun. Everywhere I've looked at them they are under $150 new, a lot cheaper than any others I've looked at.
    I'd appreciate any reviews and/or opinions on this gun.
    Thanks!

2. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I do not know much about the pistols but the rifles they make leave A LOT to be desired. The Hillsborough County Florida Sherrifs Office had Hi Point at the range during qualifying and they were trying to get the Hi Point 995-B approved for use.
    In 30 rounds down range the Sherrifs office stopped the process as they had over 50 miss fires and other jamming issues. The first gun to the line went through 3 hand pulls to properly chamber a round. Then after 3 rounds the trigger group cam apart. In the 30 rounds down range over 30% missed there target.
    My Brother in Law bought a 40SW-B and it jammed a few times he has shot it when I was there but that was when it was new out of the box and had not broken in yet. I don't know any more about it after that but I don't believe he has shot it much more either.
    I do not know if I would use it as a home protection weapon from what i have seen. I think you would be better off with a Taurus revolver or possibly a Kel Tec. I have shot several of each and they are good weapons for the money.

3. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    john, i have a hi point .380. they are not a colt or browning. they are a good gun for use in dirty conditions. i would never take my ruger and go where i take the hi point. i carry mine under the seat, on the floor in the ranch truck and in the boat where it might get wet and nasty. when i bought it i did not think i was getting an expensive gun. i got it for hauling around when the conditions were not ideal. i got mine for around $150 and it is worth that price. i have not had any misfires or jamming, but i do clean it very often since i do get it dirty and muddy. it is heavy and a little bulky for concealed carry except when bank fishing at night it can be concealed ok.

4. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I have the 380 also john and as tuff says no problems. I have it for the same reason. Talk to me before you buy one I can get them cheaper.

5. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I spoke with a friend and he said pretty much what the gentleman have said. The 380 and 9mm are pretty good knock around guns. The 40 is marginal and the 45 he said was iffy. In his words the carbines "would Not make a good tent stake". He was a gun smith that had several of his Colts there at the testing to get some new options cleared for use. He said the higher the power the more issues they have, evidently the recoil springs are a little light among other things.

6. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've never regretted buying good tools or guns. High Points are marginal at best. Save your money and buy a good gun.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    John,I can't tell ya much,I've been thinking about getting one just to use for plinking,so I can reload, for it, All I've heard was they re junk. But I don't take much stock in everything I hear. I might not trust it for protection ,but I'd use it for plinking till its broke in and then decide if it was making the grade as a self defense wepon.

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thanks everyone for your input. Its gonna mainly be a gun to pack around in my tackle bag and when I'm out in the woods and target practice with. I plan on getting a better one one of these days but $$$ dictates what I'll be getting now. I talked to my Dad and soon I'll have a nice little shotgun for the house.:wink:

Crab,
    I'm gonna try to get it in the next week or so. I'll holler at you and we'll figure out something.

9. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i have the model c in 9 mil.and i have had no problems with mine.it fires ever time i pull the trigger and at 20 yards i can hit a gallon jug most ever shot.i got mine back when they were under 100 dollars so you can see ive had it a long time.would i take it to a hand gun shoot no but at 10 foot im sure it will put a man or a bear down and thats why i carry it.ps never had cause to shoot either one and hope i never do.

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Another question. Is $125 too much for a used but in good condition Taurus .25 cal? I'm pretty sure its stainless and also comes with a holster and he'll throw in some ammo. Its my cuz so if its too much i'll try to talk him down some...:wink::smile2:
    I figure the .25 cal would serve my needs fairly well.

11. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    If its stainless and in good shape then I would be inclined to say that $125 is a good price for it.

12. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I agree. If you get it they used to make a 25 cal pistol load that had a steel BB like ball in the end. They did pretty well in a test I witnessed. Really close to the power and wound channel of a weak 380 round.
    I do not think they still make them but you can more than likley find them at a gun show.

13. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I dont know about the 25 but I have a 357 magnum Taurus and it has been good to me. Its also stainless,Ive had it a couple years now. Holler at me and you can check em both out.(357,and 380 high point)

14. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I hollered at you but you weren't there...:confused2::wink::smile2:
    The .25 is nickel finish. I've looked it up and it goes for around $200 new. Its just gonna depend on what kinda deal I can get on a hi point .380 or 9mil. I'm kinda leary, my cuz had 2 and he said they were both junk. I'd like to get the .25 but not sure if its enough gun.:confused2: I don't plan on using it for anything but maybe cans or bottles but self defense if the situation occurred. Hopefully that will never happen though.

15. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    when i looked at one the girl(that's right girl) behind the counter said they are pretty much a throw away gun if you use them all the time, for the price not bad if you have it for protection, but like the others have said not a colt or browning or ruger by a long shot--if just for protection keep it clean and hopefully you wont have to use it:wink:

16. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    S&W if you ask me.:wink:

17. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I know, If I had that kind of cash thats what it'd be.:wink:
    BTW, that Taurus .25 is made in Miami, not Brazil. :wink::smile2: I found that out on their site.

18. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    MY 357 is made here also.

19. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I got a Taurus 38 special revolver when a family member passed away. It was an older gun and was not taken care of and it had some issues. I contacted them and they said straight out, send it back. I did and when it was returned to me they had went WAY WAY WAY above and beyond, even replacing the wooden grips that were chipped and touched up the blue where some rust had started. All listed as "Warranty Repair".