Anybody out there use a mosquito trap?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by cheapNdisgusting, Jun 16, 2009.

1. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Really that is what they are called. I went to a Graduation party last weekend (not 6th grade, not GED) for a neighbor that made it ALL the way thru high school.

With all the rain we've had, the mosquitos are thick. There weren't any there. I asked about it and Herb said he rented a mosquito trap. I thought he was joking. He showed it to me. It had a 20lb propane tank like a BBQ grill (see the attachment). It had a fan and catch bag, and Herb said he put it out Thursday (party was Sat.) and had to empty the bag 3 times Thurs. two times Fri. and once Sat. This thing really worked. It also caught what we call deerflies. I WANT ONE.

If anyone has any experience with this type of thing I really want to know more before I buy one. I know they are about $300 but a couple nights outside is worth it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Haven't seen one Russell. Sounds like the ticket. If it gets deer flies it is worth it for that alone.

Tell ya what, buy one and when you come to visit this summer drop it off here for awhile and let me test it.

It however has been so cold here all summer that mosquitoes have all moved down to you.

3. cheapNdisgusting

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    The one Herb rented wasn't exactly like the attachment I posted but very similar. I"ve never seen one before that. If you Google "mosquito trap" there are several diferent kinds. I can't go outside at dusk there are so many. It kills them instead of repelling. They are supposed to lure and catch the females with CO2 and heat. This thing really did work, and no chemicals.

4. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    I just bought one about a month ago and it seems to work for me. It is not one with a bag, but it has a sticky tape trap that surrounds the unit. It also comes with an attractant. In a month of use, I have definitely seen a reduction in the amount of skeeters around the yard and the sticky trap is definitely full. I am not sure how much I paid (the wife bought it) but seems to do good by me. We will see when they really come out in July and August.

5. cheapNdisgusting

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Thanks, does it get deer flies also?

6. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    Not sure about the deer flies---I don't think we really have them up here in Philly. But everything on the trap are skeeters.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've seen them,But the high price steered me away. I use a buglight with a pheremone attractant. It works good enough for me.