Anybody out there tried strawberry doughballs!

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by Fishnhuntforever, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    I was on catfish Ed's site and he uses strawberry doughballs with good success. There quite a few 20+ taken with these homemade doughballs. I was wondering if anyone else had tried them? How does everyone feel about a sweet bait versus something that stinks?

2. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    try soaking some chicken breast in strawberry as well. you will get some good resutls with that as well.

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Never tried it but hear good things about it. Good luck if you do.

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi david and welcime to the Best catfishing site on the web. And yes Strawberry doughball works great for me in lakes and impoundments. This is my recipe. one small pakage of jello strawberry gelatin,1 cup of yellow corn meal 1/3 cup oatmeal 3 tablespoons white flour pinch of salt 1 tablespoon of vanilla. now in bowl mix all dry ingredients togather and set it aside. now bring 1 cup of water to a boil and mix the vanilla in the water. while the water is boiling mix the dry ingredients into it and stir constantly it will get stif and continue cooking for about 45 more seconds. now turn it out on a pice of wax paper and let it cool a bit and form it into a large ball and then wrap it in a damp towel and you have your strawberry doughball. now I use small treble hooks number 3/4 and I use no weight and let it set on the bottom with the bail open or spool disengaged so as the carp can pick it up and run then set the hook there a blast to catch.Hope this helps! Good luck Bigcatman0816.:big_smile:

5. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    i have tried a recipe similar to this and it is great for carp. The jello makes it easy to cast.

6. Fishnhuntforever

State:
    Northern California
    Thanks for the information! I am looking forward to trying the recipe. The strawberry doughballs have produced 20+ cats at Clearlake.

7. Jebbie

Jebbie New Member

State:
    TN
    This sounds a lot like what I do. I don't know of this site you talk about. I start off with half a box of either cheerio's or something of the kind like Alphabets. (I've tried Lucky Charms in the past and had bad results with it) Half the time I use store brand cause it's cheaper. Then I put it in a blender with about half a can of Strawberry Fanta, I never used a store brand strawberry for it, but it should work the same. Then I mix in just a smidgen of vanilla extract. Proceed to blend it nicely, if it gets to thick add a little more of the Fanta, if it's too moist add a bit more cereal. and let it sit in a ziplock baggie for about a day in the fridge. I've gotten creative with this over time by adding a bluegill or the left over minnows of the day. Makes enough for about a day or nights worth of fishing.

I've had to replace the house blender because of this. And it works well for me.

8. Fishnhuntforever

State:
    Northern California
    Thanks for the recipe I will have to put that in my arsenal for the future!

9. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    get a box of Special K with strawberry cereal. Grind in a blender and add some vanilla extract. Enough water to make a stiff dough. Says the carp just love it. You could take the next step and and an egg to the dough and then cook balls of the dough like carp boilies. They will stay on the hook and not dissolve.

10. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I Use Strawberry Jello In Alot Of My Baits,whether It Be For Carp Or Cats

11. BamaCats

BamaCats New Member

State:
    Alabama
    sounds like some good recipes, gonna have to give them a try adn see how they work down here in the deep south. :lol:

12. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    My oldest sons first cat was caught on strawbery dough balls .

13. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I believe if memory serves me correctly and this has been years ago,but I think my grandad used stuff like that for carp back in the 1960's and man he come home with some huge ones!--------------pk powell:smile2:

14. georgiamike

georgiamike New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have never made dough bait before but here is what I am thinking of trying. Mixing some bread with some strawberry cool aid maybe adding some garlic and a little water and make into a big ball. Seems like most of the recipes if have seen use oatmeal or cereal instead of bread, why is that?

15. firefighteremtb78

firefighteremtb78 New Member

State:
    IL
    we had a secret family recipe made with strawberry jelloand we would come home with enough carp and cats to last all year. For some reason I cant get my mom to give me the recipe though

16. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    You need to talk to your mom and get that recipe so you can share. Hahahaha