Anybody on to crappies yet?

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by Catmeister, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Catmeister

Catmeister New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i was thinkin about going to mark twain or somewhere soon to try and get on some crappie and I was just wondering if anyone has been on to any very well yet?

2. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i went last tuesday and caught 6 that was over 9 inches[which is the legal length here] and many more that were to small.hope to find more this weekend.;)

3. FAT_CAT

FAT_CAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    We got a bunch of them last weekend in TN. Couldn't really tell you where they were holding as we had to adjust depths a few times during the day. Some were really into the minnows, and a few of the bigger guys were taken on pink road-runners.

4. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    A couple of weeks ago a buddy of mine and I were trolling little jigs around brush and were doing pretty good. Haven't had time or resources to properly target them since, but I know that they should still be on.

5. SeaArk1

SeaArk1 New Member

State:
    Sedalia, Missouri
    I have been on them all winter. Have lots of spots at Lake of the Ozarks and fish very often all winter long. My efforts this week have turned to catching walleye though, but have ended up catching more crappie than eyes - go figure:cool: I will be turning my attention to Truman is a few more days. Good Luck!!

6. shadow

shadow New Member

We have been on them all winter also. Right now they seem to be holding at about 10 feet in the brushpiles.

7. Addicted2Cats

Addicted2Cats New Member

State:
    West Chester, Ohio
    I went fishing for them with my friend last Friday using minnows at a place known for big crappie (12+ inches). We diddn't have any luck, but it was while a coldfront was moving in so that may of had something do do with it.
    It's never the angler right? :D

8. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We did ok at Kentucky Lake this weekend caught about 30 nice crappie all weekend, a bunch of yellow bass too and a few other things. We had a great time out and didnt think we had too bad a day for not knowin the lake.

9. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    caught 2 other night on live minnows. both were undersized, but at least i know theres still crappie around here. btw, is there a chum that will draw crappie?

10. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Cathinbiguns and I went out crappie fishing this evening. didn't do to good they seemed to be scattered around pretty good. I did manage to catch a six pound bass searching for them though and we caught 3 keeper crappie, should be better next weekend if the weather holds.

Attached Files:

11. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    We have been catching them for about a week now. They are not biting hard yet, but the water is warming and so is the bite.

12. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    I caught a bunch this weekend while catfishing here in the Carlyle Lake spillway. I had two poles out for the cats and I used my ultralight with two feather jigs and a bobber. They were hitting the jigs like crazy over here on the Illinois side. Almost most every cast out I pulled one in, as soon as I popped the jig a couple times they hit the lure hard. I use feather jigs for popping, grub lures for normal reeling in, and live minows with a bobber.

13. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    We're onto them up here in central Indy. They are in their pre spawn staging areas tight to cover. Live minnows is the way to go.

14. ratred

ratred New Member

State:
    mississippi
    Starting to move up to the shallows on Ross Barnett Rez. The peak of the spawn should be next weekend with the water temp increasing and the full moon this week. I've already done pretty well prior to this recent cold front.

15. Stevej

Stevej New Member

State:
    East-central Mississippi
    22 of about 35 legal fish I caught this morning in about 3 hrs. Lake Okatibbee MS.

[​IMG]

16. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    When the dogwoods bloom is the prime time. The dogwoods are in bloom here now and the crappie are biting. The ones we caught yesterday still had a ways to go before spawning though.

17. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    16 keepers out of around 40 fish today. 10" to 14 1/2"
    Lost quite a few. Bite was light and the fish were in 8ft of water.
    Pete

18. RiverOtter

RiverOtter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I know down in the Ozarks they are hammering the crappie. The guy who runs the mom and pop tackle shop i go to said that people are catching limits everyday. While my friend and i went bass fishing our dads went and caught 23 crappie on about 30 minnows. Nothing huge but it only took them a half hour. Up here in Quincy, Illinois we havent caught many yet. Some people are getting some here and there but not hard yet. I think i might go out today (Wednesday) and find out for myself.

19. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn