Anybody notice this too?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by SkiMax, Oct 19, 2006.

1. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I have noticed over the past couple of years that there seems to be a connection between the ease of catching bait (mainly shad) and how the catfish bite. I catch my shad in a creek off the Ohio River and sometimes there are in there by the millions, but sometimes i can throw for an hour to get 10-15 nice shad. While this is frustrating this seems to be when the catfish bite the best out of the river? anybody else notice this? maybe it is because all the shad have left the creeks and the catfish are actively feeding on them. just wondering if anybody else has noticed this....

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Can't really say,cause I can't seem to catch them(Channels) this year no matter what I do. Maybe next year.

3. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    i have seen a direct correllation between baitfish leaving and predator fish showing up. whatever baitfish you notice all the sudden vacate, is what you want to use for bait, because theres a reason for em getting the heck outta Dodge.

4. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    yeah, this is more of the shad being in a shallow creek (less than 3 feet throughout) and then the fish not biting on the main river. But when the shad don't seem to be in the creek-the catfish are biting on the river. it's the same concept just a little different. but thanks for the input!

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Max, I have noticed similar instances of the kind you stated. If you can fish those mouths as the baitfish are starting to leave the creeks and sloughs, you should have good luck. The thing is to catch them just right and that is a feat in itself. Vern