Anybody know...

Discussion in 'TEXAS RIVERS TALK' started by renji2476, Jun 24, 2008.

1. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Seeing that I am just a battery and pfd away from putting my flat bottom john boat in the water I will be new as to picking places to fish. Before it was wherever I could fish from the bank but now I have options and just need to know what those options are?:confused2: Can anyone give me some pointers on what to look for or what kind of structure to look for on rivers since I'm gonna be new at this?:crazy: Anything will be helpful and greatly appreciated, thanks!!!:cool2:

2. slowhand

slowhand New Member

State:
    Texas
    If rivers are your target to fish Your in Waco 30 miles west of you is the town of Clifton, try the bosque river it is loaded with big flat heads.I fished this river a few years ago and ended up with 21 flatheads over a 2 week period. I have family that lives there and they catch flatheads all the time. I am planing a weekend trip back in there myself. Also check out Lake Aquilla for channel cats but beware there are lots of hidden stumps at Aquilla. Lake Waco has some good flathead fishing right in your back door.

3. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    Congrates on the boat!!

I'm probubly not much help but I can tell you this much.

I fish the Blanco..it's crystal clear here so I'm learning by slowly cuising and noting where I always see fish. I noticed the channel cats feed all hours of the day and seem to usually be near good structure..not little rocks but if there are some big 3ft high rocks..there will be channel cats down stream of the rocks and under them.

Also sharp bends in the river seem to attract fish. Maybe cause of the depth changes.

I learned alot the other day when I chummed. I think chum could be a great tool for you to learn where fish are. Try chummimg different areas/structure and you'll know within an hour or two wheather or not there are fish there.

Some good boaters knowledge for you:
    Always take your time when docking and dropping in. Every guy on here can admit to some real dumb things they've done at the ramp cause they were excited and in a hurry. Take your time and come up with a simple process that you will do the same every time you drop in and pull out. That way you wont mess up. Back when I lived in FL my older brother got some beer and sat me down at a busy dock and we sat and drank a few while watching the idiots totally mess up. From dragging there lower unites accross the cement to forgetting the drain plug and filling there boats full of water. Only after that would he let me use his boat. LOL
    goodluck.

4. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Thanks!!:big_smile: The funny thing is that I am not "new" to catfishin' its just that I am new to boat fishing!:eek:oooh: I am going to be excited when the time comes to get the boat in the water but I am glad that I am a check list kinda person (I know that I will forget something if I don't do a check list) and I always make sure that I calm myself down so that I get it right!!:roll_eyes: I am really very excited and taking every bit of info that I can get and holding onto it like it is gold so thanks guys for all your input!!!:smile2:

5. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    Jesse,I'm really glad to read your post about your boat, I know the feeling well as I'm sort of going through the same. The past year my son and I have been using our boat a bunch! I bought the thing back in Jan of '05 and it sat in the back yard for a long time. I hurt myself in April of '05 and hadn't been able to do much much less haul a boat (and get this) paddle the boat since I had not registered the boat and couldn't use the little t/m the guy gave me when I bought it.We've done a lot of paddling this past year and funny thing is I now have it registered and I STILL have to paddle it b/c the t/m dies all the time. Don;t get me wrong, I'm not complaining I see it as a way for my big behind to lose weight and get excerize and best of all it makes for a real interesting fishing trip when it's windy, lolYou should see us though, paddling around all bad a** in our boat with a fishfinder!! Best of luck,Rubes

6. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Say Bro, how far are you from Waco? Just thought that it was funny b/c I had the boat in the backyard for a few years!!! I had this boat and never had the money to get it in shape to use till last week that is when I resealed the rivets, bought a trailer, and got it registered :cool2::big_smile:. The only thing left is the battery and the life jackets like I said. Anyway since then I just can't seem to get my mind into anything, I just can't wait till I put her into the water!!!:eek:oooh::big_smile::eek:oooh: Tell me where about your at that place sounds real familiar.... is it by San Anto?

7. slowhand

slowhand New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hello Jesse, Im about 60 miles from Waco just off Hwy 6. Will be fishing Lake whitney on sunday. Whitney has extra large sun perch that are a load of fun on light tackle. Ill try to get a pic of what we catch on here so you can see them. Lets try to get together at Lake Waco some time and tell fish stories.

8. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I plan on going to Whitney on the weekend of the 18th. Plan on camping with the family and catchin' some big perch sounds like fun!! What do ya use for bait? I just taught my son how to cast a spinning reel and I am sure that he would love to out fish Dad again!!!LOL!!!:smile2: He beat me last time we were there 3 to 1 on some strippers that were chasing a school of shad close to the bank but this time we gotta jon boat that we can use!:eek:oooh::smile2::eek:oooh: Maybe if I can figure out what and where to fish well be able to catch some keeper fish! He saw the article in the paper and said and I quote "That's not fair that guy caught those big stripper and all we caught were little ones!" This coming from a 5 year old!!:smile2::eek:oooh::smile2: Boy I think that I taught him well!!!:smile2::wink::cool2: Hit me back or pm me and we'll see when we can wet a line together!!

9. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I have a 14 ft. john boat myself.I think that is one of the best boats in the world for river fishin.Be careful though when out on the lake with it mine almost went down this winter when the white caps got too big.The back of my boat was filled up with water in a second, almost the worst day of my life.If your going to be fishing river or creeks look for smaller creek that feed into the larger ones.Big bends in the creek and log jams make great place to fish.I use to fish trot lines back home and I would sit mine by the small creeks running at angle across the big creek and I always caught plenty of huge fish.Hope this helps bro and I hope you catch some good ones.

10. seattleman1969

seattleman1969 New Member

State:
    Texas
    If you go about 30 miles east you have the Navasota river where it flows above Lake Limestone... lots of BIG yellows in there. Give'er a shot!