Anybody know why the river hasn't dropped yet??

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by jagdoctor1, Jan 3, 2009.

1. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    They usually empty the canals here in Blythe and the river goes pretty much empty on Jan 1. This year the canals didn't start dropping until the 2nd and the River was low but higher than it had been in a month or more on the first and second. It's the 3rd now and the river is a little lower but still holding. Anybody know what's going on? I am thinking if they don't drop it this year like they all do we may get better fishing out of it next year!

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Happy New Year to ya Chris.... been a while since I seen ya...

Have you been out to the lower drain, or just fishing at home? LOL :wink:

Got some thoughts on the water releases.... The Delta pumps are restricted by some new law and that effects the aquaduct flow.... Diamond Valley lake is down, and lots of other lakes as well.... So maybe the water is needed down stream and that is why.... Some water for LA comes out at Havasu, with more water comming to LA via the All American canal. Some LA water actually goes thriogh the mountains from Palm Springs...

Im sure that Riverbudd55 may have some answers, but unitl his update, You might check out the river flow chart at these sites.:cool2:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/az/nwis/current/?type=flow
    Real-Time Data for Arizona_ Streamflow

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/az/nwis/uv/?site_no=09429100&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060
    COLORADO RIVER BELOW PALO VERDE DAM, AZ-CA

This infor is just what is happening now, I don't why..

Bayrunner Ray

3. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I check in but don't do alot of posting. I am a desert boy. When the weather turns cold I don't like being out in it. I do more prospecting in the cooler weather when the fishing is harder. Then I switch back to fishing when the fish start getting more active. I am getting the itch though. Might have to put some poles out. Been fairly warm days.
    I am hoping they don't drop the river and if that happens then that will be a big break for the fish. They are used to getting all crammed into that channel together for 2 weeks. If that doesn't happen maybe the fishing will be outstanding next year!

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Looked at some charts this morning and It looks like the flow is slowing down,,,
    Have you seen any evidence of the level lowering??

Good to see you on here,,,,:wink:

5. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    riverbud posted some pics from this last week and it looks like the river is almost dry.

6. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i drove through blythe today. stopped at mayflower. canals were almost no water. river has bars showing. main canal running, but most of the smaller ones were down to less than foot or so looked like.
    gary

7. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Wow on 12/27 in the AM think I could have crawled across the river. But that was before the draw down, Chris, I know what your saying about the water in the past has always dropped on the !st except the last 2 years when they opened the gates a few days before the 1st. There is no doubt when they open the gates up cuz all the crap that has built up behind the dam gets let go. Seen huge logs come down stream and just tons of sandy silt. this year they did the draw down on the 2nd at the palo verda dam and the 5th up at the Indian diversion dam in Parker, by Sat Am the canals were pretty much empty, was up by the dam a few years back hunting along the main canal when they opened the gates and the water was running backward out of the canal and emptying back into the river above the dam and im sure thats where a lot of the silt comes from.

If I were to guess why they changed if ya work a man on a Nat'l holiday ya pay them double time in most cases and the idea of the draw down is to get work done on the canals so it most likely saves them some $$$$

8. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Well I can say this.. I went and did real good on bait today thinking that old Snagged2 was coming down. His plans didn't work out and he'll be a few more days. Anyways i went and cut up a bluegill and put in 2 poles. After about 2 hours a thought occured to me... This is January..... My fishing license is no good. Woops. Hope no one else forgot about that lol. That is about the only time I see F&G out and about around here. Glad I didn't run into them today.

Oh.. and not a single bite at either the river or backwater spot I tried.

9. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Get legal man,,,, I don't want to have to run my stuff and yours too!!!! LOL:smile2: