Anybody know what this is?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Mac-b, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I was on my way home from a guide trip when I saw this boat. It was 30 plus feet long, all wood and appeared to be power by a steam engine. Note in photo that there is a rectangular metal box mid ship with a stack.

2. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Mac
    You might check with Humphrey Bogart he used to drive one like it . The African Queen I think is was.

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    No idea of the name, but it sure is a nice looking outfit, would be a nice ride on a hot day, nice pic.
    Randy

4. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Paul, I was thinking the same thing when I saw it.

5. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    It does look like it has a boiler on board.
    Fuel keeps going up we will have to get something like that or a solar panel and a bunch of batteries.

6. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    From the apparent lack of smoke, I'd say she was a sheep in wolfs clothing..I may be wrong..but its still purry neat..thanx for the pic!

7. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    That's a CLASSIC,......But I don't think they had steam engines.....think they had a two cylinder gas engine....Great pic..............

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I wouldnt be surprised if it was a propane fired steam engine.

There are all different types of genre boat people as there music listeners.
    Homebuilt steam engines are one of them.

9. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    mac theirs one on the fontania about 14ft long the oner says three sticks of wood will go about 3hrs at 11mph keeps boat at fontania resort if your every in that neck of the woods check it out.

10. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I could very well be wrong but to me it looks like one of those inboards made back in the 50's or so and it has it's own grill on it.
    Yes, it's definitely a classic but I gotta tell ya, the LABOR involved in keeping all that Mahogany clean and pretty looking is IMMENSE! And if you have the money to pay for it, trust me, your better have several dozens of $100 bills!! And that does not include the work upkeep on the engine and it's components!
    That's my 2 cents worth.
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post and Opinion]]]]]

11. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I believe it's one of the "Al Gore" "hot air" inverter engines.... either powered by natural methane, or in a picnch.... hot air collected from evaporators under the seats.....

bayrunner ray

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC

Mac, you have more pressing things to be concerned about.
    I've seen where Lake Champlain has evidently shipped of some of its kooks to the LKN.
    An LKN monster site has popped up on the good ol internet.
    I would go over there and report your sighting of this unidentifiable object.:big_smile: See what they have to say.

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    You can still build a boat for and have a steam engine installed.You can get the boilers to run on wood,coal,fuel or propane.You can also use electric,gas or small diesel and build to look like steam driven.

House bound and interested in small steam craft,I have been researching them for several years.Interesting.A couple of years ago,The Ford dealer in Effingham Co. Ga.was selling a electric boat much like the old steam launches.

Last I read,the original old African Queen of movie fame had been restored and was located at Key Largo Florida.

My father had worked as a young man and help build some of the Old Mahogany inboards for the wealthy in Mobile Ala.before WW 2.They "Steam bent" and formed the wood in strips according to him.A lot of labor went into building boats that way.I remember him helping someone restore one of the old "Speed Boats" us kids called them.If I remember right,that one had a Flat Head Ford V-8 in it.

I love you Brothers and sisters.peewee

14. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i have seen an old chris craft that had lines like that, but i can find no pics of it

15. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Mark J, I thought you were kidding about a LKN monster web site, but you were not. I google and found www.lakenormanmonster.com. Now I am going to be a little more careful out there on the water with a monster prowling around. Heaven forbid that one of those 100 pound Ark. blues they mentioned on their site would partake of my bait some day. That would be a heck of a test of my Abu. 6500 and Ugly Stick. :smile2:

16. sneezer

sneezer New Member

State:
    pa.
    Was that picture taken in the Newport News /Norfolk area?

17. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Sneezer, the photo of the boat was taken on Lake Norman in the Piedmont section of North Carolina.

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    There were probably several models, but here are some pics of a scale model of a ChrisCraft barrelback speedboat.

Attached Files:

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You know, I've seen some of those barrelbacks go for a 1/4 mil.

I'd love to build something like that from scratch just to say I built it.
    Restoring one I couldnt get into as much as I could a new build.

Alot of those old Chris Crafts it seems are sold by the pound according to the asking and selling prices.:big_smile:

20. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Mac, I figured I thought enough of you to warn you.
    I dont know what I'd worry about more on LKN. The monster or the people that believe in one enough to build a website about it.:big_smile:

Your good fishing days are soon to be disrupted by those boats towing those big sonars and those fool documentaries made for television.

I got a creek you can come fish in. Nothing to worry about.
    The Baptist preacher that swore on the bible he saw a lion down there got run out of the county. Atleast thats what I suspect. Nobody knows where he is. He just disappeared.