Anybody know what this is?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by RiverratSC, May 24, 2009.

1. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I saw in the newspaper today were Great Falls is have a Flopeye Fish Festival but what is flopeye fish?

2. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    he made the big time lol

3. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Well I'm not from that State but I did a googles search an this will help with your efforts to find an answer.
    htxp://www.flopeyefishfestival.com/

Replace the htxp with a t

4. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Heres a link to the flopeye.
    SC's Flopeye Fish Festival offers fun, funny name

The Associated Press
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] E-Mail [​IMG] Print Reprint [​IMG]Comments (0)
    [​IMG] Recommend (0)

Text Size: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

tool name

close
    tool goes here

GREAT FALLS, S.C. -- In South Carolina, a state with dozens of festivals, the Flopeye Fish Festival in Great Falls has to have one of the strangest names.
    The free festival featuring an auto show, vendors, musical entertainment and the like is Saturday at the industrial park just north of town.
    Its name came about 75 years ago.

According to the story, a local merchant used to sit in front of his general store and his eyelids kept closing. A woman who had never seen him wondered who the flopeyed man was. The name stuck and people visiting that section of town would say they had visited Flopeye.
    The town, on the Catawba River, also is a favorite spot for anglers, which provides the fish in the Flopeye Fish Festival.

5. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    I'm not sure!:smile2: I was told once there was a man called Flopeye that was like a cross between a gar and a carp! You know, Ugly as hell and aint worth a crap!:smile2: But you know how rumors are! lizzard man, Big foot and a flopeye! You can't trust'em

6. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

7. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    I could go there but I am gonna be the nice guy that I am on this one:big_smile:
    But that is right funny:smile2::smile2: and true:cool2::eek:oooh:

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <I'm not sure! I was told once there was a man called Flopeye that was like a cross between a gar and a carp!>

Well, I was always under the impression that a flopeye was a cross between "Flipper" and "Popeye", an ocean mammal that eats spinach. You just can't trust this internet information anymore! :wink:

Bill in SC

9. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I googled it before I posted to make sure it wasn't "ole boy" because know how much he is loved. Still sounds odd though.