Anybody know if there have been any studies?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by veryama1975, Feb 3, 2008.

1. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Anybody know if there have been any studies on hi-vis versus low-vis? I've seen studies (in In-Fisherman) with trotlines where they show which hooks were most successful. I would think that they could do something similar with fishing line: just alternate hi-vis leaders with low-vis leaders on trotlines in different waters with different water clarities. Something like that would be really helpful.

2. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    what kind of study are you looking for? does low vis draws more strikes vs high vis? which color line is most visible to the fish under different conditions? or something else?

high vis can differ from region to region in the north east high vis is generally flouresent blue, the gulf coast generally prefer pink or clear, then there are some that prefer high vis yellow which once it hit 20 feet or so appears to be white. for the most part fish can see contrast so if you line is dark green in clear water it will stand out to them against the sky.

3. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Hi Mark. You're right that it might make a difference what color of hi-vis we're talking about & what the color & conditions of the water are. I guess what I'm basically saying is I want to know if line color or visibility matter to catfish. I've heard a lot of people say that line visibility doesn't matter to catfish because they "aren't line shy." I've heard others say that it does matter & that you should at least have a clear leader. I'm just wondering if there is any scientific evidence one way or the other?

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    really i dont think cats care what color your line is,there not to line shy.Carp on the other hand would be a different story.

5. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    t have used all kinds i dont think cats care

6. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    well i can tell you this for sure i will never use hi vis yellow on the c&d canal again. i couldn't figure out why i couldn't catfish in the ship channel (45ft) with hi vis yellow but i could on clear or green, but hivis yellow would catch fish on the flats. then i learned that the university here did a study and discovered hi vis yellow appeared white in dephs beyond 20 feet and at some point i forgot how deep it was but the line almost has a white glow.

7. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Thanks Mark. I tried to give you reps & accidentally hit the enter key too soon:) What I was gonna say was that is the kind of thing that I'd like to know because I think the hi vis would help my casting but I don't want something that will scare away the fish. So far as you know then, hi vis green would be good at any depth? Also, if you have a link to any studies like that I'd appreciate it.

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I dont think it matters to cats. If they will hit bait on a trot line with heavy nylon line....they aren't too line shy in my opinion:cool2:

9. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    as far as visibility goes and how a catfish (or any other fish for that matter) reacts to it depends on a lot of variables.

certain colors of line "disappear" at different depths because the different wave lengths (colors) of light can penetrate water to different depths. if the water is muddy or at night, very little light will penetrate so i don't think color would matter much. if it's crystal clear, anything but maybe fluorocarbon will be visible. (something i can't quite wrap my brain around is how a red hook is advertised to attract fish and red fishing line is advertised to disappear under water...*shrugs*):confused2:

another big variable is how pressured the fish are. if these fish see a lot of fishing pressure, they may be more "line shy". in which case clearer or less visible is better. heck, i'm sure there are some places in canada that don't see any fishing pressure and you could toss out a fork on a piece of rope and probably catch a northern pike.

if the fish are particularly aggressive one night maybe seeing a little blaze orange line wouldn't bother them, other more sluggish nights it might.

a lot of guys get around this visibility problem by using a hi-vis main line and a low-vis leader. i use 50lb mono or fluoro for my leaders.

bottom line is experiment. if you have multiple rods with different line configurations and do it over multiple trips out, see what works for you. see if you can pick up on a pattern. :wink: