Anybody know anything about fishing Alaska?

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by jlingle, Feb 22, 2007.

1. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I'm going to Alaska the last week of June and going fishing. I've got a buddy up there who's stationed at Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage. He's originally an Okie too, so he doesn't know just a whole lot about fishing up there either. I went up there and we fished in '05 and had a good time, but all the places we went, we just ended up staring at the back of people's heads. Man it was crowded!!! I know there has to be more to Alaska than crowded streams and rivers, and I was just wondering if any of you folks know anything about fishing up there and could give us some tips?

My buddy hasn't been there the whole time, he just got back a few months ago from a stint in Iraq. If he'd been there the whole 2 years, then he'd probably know a little bit more about the fishing, but...... anyhoooo.....

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Jerrod

2. FishinginDavenport

FishinginDavenport New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Wasnt lucky enough to be stationed in civilization like he is. Was stationed in Galena on the banks of the Yukon River. The Yukon is very heavily silted. We would go off on some of the sloughs and had 48 inch Northerns on almost every cast. We used nothing but spoons. We ran out of those and then started throwing anything in the tackle box. We still caught fish. It was the proverbial "fishermans dream".

The best bet is to look in the phone book for Anchorage and check on some guide services. Dont waste your time and money trying stuff if your friend isnt a fishing type. Use someone elses experience and tackle and have fun rahter than leaving frustrated. You may only go there once so do it right the first time and you should have fish stories to tell the rest of your life.

3. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    go fishing for huge halibut and salmon let me know how it is cause would love to know and if you go to fish in the streams i would carry nothing less than a 44 mag with ya for the bears

4. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Jlingle;

That time of year the Kings sould be really running in the Kenai River Between the towns of Kenai and Sterling. These towns are located on the Kenai Penninsula. The Sockeye(reds) Salmon won't run til after the 10th of July down there but they are a riot and the best eating of all salmon. If you fish where all of the tourists fish you are going to be 3 or 4 deep. I never did that when I was there but you have to know that the fishing gets lots of people up there that time of year. If you want to catch a BIG King, I would suggest getting a guide and fish the kenai River out of Soldotna, AK. It is located 1/2 way betweem Kenai and Sterling on the river. But getting a guide that particular time of the year can be tough. I have a Good Friend that are Guides on the Kenai River and he is the Best Guide there is in my opinion. If Fish are being caught he will get you on fish. You can PM me your Phone # and I can give you more scoop on the fishing. The biggest Kings in the world have come out of the Kenai River.

My 2 Cents;

Gene

5. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Gene, I can't thank you enough for the info you provided me today. You were right about Jeff, he's a hoot. Anyway, I'm pretty excited to try the spots that you told me about and the techniques that you told me about as well. It's really nice to talk to somebody that's as eager to help out another brother as you are. That's one of the reasons that I love the BOC, because of folks like you.

Anyway, I guess I'm more excited than ever to get to Alaska now. :roll_eyes:

6. tfabry

tfabry New Member

State:
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    All I can tell you about Alaska fishing is I WANT GO TOO! GOOD LUCK

7. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    That sounds like sound advice to me. I also want to go there for pike they are somewhat of an untapped resource there