anybody killin them quail?

Discussion in 'Bird Hunting' started by massa_jorge, Dec 30, 2008.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    found a few new areas to hunt quail while deer hunting. i have killed 40 or so bobwhites in 4 trips. not the best i ever did, but better than last year! i have yet to even see a covey of blues while hunting. they are all over the roads, but i don't hunt like that. anybody else getting into them?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've been out a time or two,Jordan. The birds didnt have a good spring here,They just arent around. Gotta have spring moisture or they dont raise baby's.

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well richard, back in bow season there were quail everywhere. the dumb ones have been thinned out by now. about 5 years back we had the best hatch i have ever seen. we limited out for several trips in a row, on public land. this year has been average so far. i am not complaining though, i know a lot of folks don't have the opportunity to eat these birds unless they buy them.

4. kansasoutdoors

kansasoutdoors New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Sure wish I could find some quail hunting like yall are talkin about! I haven't shot 15 of them in an entire season for at least 5 years or so. If someone would be interested in trading a TX quail hunt for a KS pheasant hunt, let me know. Even if it is for next year, I'd like to get something set up for better bobwhite hunting.....I miss it dearly!

Do most of you guys use dogs when you're quail hunting in TX?

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I surely miss bird hunting. We were awash in quail in the late 80's in Missouri. Moved back to Virginia where the quail have crashed. I understand its about as bad back in Missouri. Sad indeed.:sad2:

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i guess i will head out in a few hours. hopefully the wind dies down. i'm going to get festus out and run him ragged. if it's too windy the scent will be everywhere and he will start messing around. i'll post pics if i get into them, i'll report regardless!

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well, we walked 3 miles in, 3 miles out. busted one covey of maybe 15 birds 100 yds from the truck and i got ONE haha. the news said the wind was going to all but stop, but it was pretty bad all day. i don't know if the wind was keeping the dog from finding birds, or if it's time to back off of this spot. don't want to kill em all, have to save some for seed! with how dry this winter has been so far, we might only get one hatch this year... usually we get 2 or 3.

8. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Quail population is down every where I dont know how they can come backall the things against them. We have the fire ants the hogs and some times the hunters. The outfitters around here hunted them alittle hard. I think they need some help with maybe stocking some and give themayear and see htw they do it is realpoor here in Knox county. Thanks Sam Davis

9. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Ya it is pretty bad out here too. I can remember when I was younger (I'm 31) when we would walk the field behind the house and shoot a limit in under 3-4 hrs. Not anymore, you could walk every fence line in the county and still couldn't touch a limit.

10. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    When I lived in Missouri in the late 80's I hunted every weekend in Scotland County. I keep a hunting journal, I looked back today and saw that from 86-89 I did not get a limit of birds three times in four years. I spoke to one of my farmer buddies out there over Christmas and was told the quail are almost gone, as are the once abundant pheasants.,,,Gone. Turkeys however are climbing out of the woodwork.

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Just to keep things in perspective. Quail and Phesants are very cyclic ,They have highs and lows mostly depending on moisture. some to depredation.Here we dont have the depredation so much as the moisture problem. I have seen years where quail had as many as three broods,and on the downside not a single one. I have 400 acres that I consider my own,It actually belongs to my family ,we hunt quail HARD only on the last three weeks of season here. Our season lasts for three months,so they get hunted very hard all season. I choose to only hunt the birds on my land occasionally during the season ,then hunt them hard on the last part ,as the winter will take a toll,and they only live approx. 9-13 months anyway,That way ensuring only the best survive. I have noticed that in the last few years I may have screwed myself as some years even though we dont hunt them,they fly at least 60 yds ahead of us ,on a flush.:wink:

12. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    The last confirmed sighting of a quail around here was in a stinkin bobcats mouth.:confused2: When i was a kid momma raised and trained bird dogs and we had alot of birds. They are all but extinct in tis area now.

13. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    we were hunting them, in the early to mid 90's. Up in the northern counties they were good, we had a blast. But, it always seemed like we chased the same coveys around from year to year.
    Your buddy was right, turkeys are thick:eek:oooh:

14. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS

15. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    Some missouri boys from Saint Louis wacked em pretty good with me a few years ago. This goes down as one of our better hunts for upland birds and believe me,,, we have some good ones. That day every bird within five miles was laying up in knee high wind erosion strips about 20 yards wide between the peanut fields. Dogs were going nuts.

Attached Files:

16. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    You are correct sir. Quail population has sharped declined since '93. Many oldtimers said, "Don't worry son, nature has cycles." Well, I'm afraid to say this cycle isn't likely to change until we see some habitat changes.

17. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I hunt Henry county? east of Clinton, MO. and have a stable & healthy population of birds. I gave up completely on limit hunting over 10 years ago. Now only 1 bird on a covey rise, and only 1 single after the flush.

Here's my newest talent. Jake2008.jpg

Part of the habitat change that has occured right under our noses, slowly and continuously, is the "woodwork". We have more decidiuous growth, with denser concentration than before. That produces turkey and deer habitat, not quail habitat. To add insult to injury, we have more efficient farming, cleaner fields without broadleaf weeds necessary for feeding(insect growth)and loafing cover. Can't blame a farmer for trying to plow out a living.

18. Paraguayguy

State:
    Virginia
    I have had a hunting lodge in Paraguay since 1999 and am in the process of building a lodge along the Corrientes River in Corrientes Provice in North East Argentina not far from the Paraguay border. Ducks will be the focus but I will have a fine mixed bag operation with perdiz and martineta, (quail & grouse), and doves by the million. I met a nice man during my 2 year search and 1,000's of miles of driving to find the perfect spot for my lodge. These are pictures from July 2009. Giovanno has a small turn lathe business in Esquina and his passion is pointers. He has won the Argentine Gran Nationals two years in a row. I took him a shock collar in June. Lots and lots of birds down there so you can really make a dog. Perdiz and martineta are solitary and you only get double flushes towards the end of the season. Limit is 15 a day. I traded the collar for two puppies. I can't wait for next season!

Attached Files:

19. kansasoutdoors

kansasoutdoors New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Wow! What would a visit to that lodge cost a guy?

20. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    ohio is the same way just a few counties that season is open pheasant is the same way but turkey is everywhere