anybody ice fish before.

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by montgomery#1, Jan 12, 2008.

1. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    has anybody ever ice fished for trout. if you havent give it a try.

some say im crazy for going ice fishing but the people who trust a cab driver are the crazy ones.lol

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have at bear lake in northern utah. the first time i was sitting on a bucket freezing, the second time we were in a tent like thing that blocked the wind and was much more fun. we caught cisco, trout, and channel cats on small jigs.

3. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I've said ones and I'll Say it again, the day we start ice fishing here in south Georgia is the same day I become a Mexican.a southern Mexican.LOL:big_smile:

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Never had the oppertunity before,Zeb. But my son and little brother did a few years back,Caught some nice truot . Had some gal walk by an ask if throwin them on the ice wasn't cruel to the fish ,to which my brother replied ,Well ma'am we usually like to smack em in the head first ,but its funner ta watch em freeze ta death. gotta love a smart comeback .:smile2:

5. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    well richard thats funny. ive always had some one say that thats crool but them idiots dont know what there talkin about. yeah that ice fishin is some fun stuff we catch bass trout and even cats. the cats average 3-4#s and they fight. if you get a chance give it a try once you arent cold and catch some fish you feel pretty dang good. but theres a secret to fishin through the ice use a ultra light rod not the ice rods. with a longer rod you get more leverage. cant beat the ugly stiks for it. not the fiber glass rods the graphite.
    thanks for the reply.

6. dookiechrist

dookiechrist New Member

State:
    utah
    hey zeb how are ya !?!? yeah , i've been ice fishin for trout.... love it!!! passionate about it!!! caught many, many fish through the ice and there truly are different techniques. i must disagree with the rod bit though, the shorter rods help with the finness and control. however the way i see it, what you use to fish with isn't nearly as importantant as the fact that you're GONE FISHIN'. as far as freezin' , yep, i've done it. been up stuck in the middle of blizzard with 70 mph wind gusts. i had to put my auger through the ice and tie my ice house to it and it still picked it up a bit(GOOD TIMES). then again, i've been out no bibs, no coat...just the sun and ice..that'll burn.. plenty of different types of fish caught but i still havent caught a cat!!!:0a18:

7. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I know one time I was fishing and the water through the rod guides would freeze up to ice crystals...that was sauger fishing on the Cumberland....and about the closest to ice fishing I've ever gotten!!:smile2:

8. dookiechrist

dookiechrist New Member

State:
    utah
    yep, gotta keep them poles dry..a frozen eyelet will put a damper on things. never tried using tip-ups though i dont think they're legal here ..wouldnt have to deal with frozen eyelets that way though..:0a18:

9. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    I ice fish on the average of three times a week if the ice depth remains 3"+. I primarily target Crappie & Rainbows.

J

10. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Last time it got cold enough, long enough, to get out on the ice in relative safety 'round here I was about 15. No auger so we used an double edged axe to hack the holes. Ya gotta love those good teenaged ideas! LOL!!!

Did catch some Bluegill and Crappie though. It was fun, but I definitely was not dressed or equipped for it.
    It doesn't take long to get chilly when you are keeping the holes open bare-handed.

11. IowanInTexas

IowanInTexas New Member

State:
    Texas now
    I used to ice fish in Iowa as a kid. This morning my limb lines was freezing up with ice as I took them up. But now it is 40 degrees here.

12. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    I used to ice fish a lot when I lived up north. I caught a lot of trout on the ice.

13. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Used to ice fish all winter when I lived in Alaska. We'd catch rainbows and landlock silver salmon....Man that was fun! As you can see from the pic, the ice was thick, usually 3 -5 feet.

Attached Files:

14. Keith@fishon

Keith@fishon New Member

State:
    Florida
    Ice fishing can be a blast or the most boring fishing in your life.

Currently in Florida but I grew up in Minnesota. I have fished sitting on a bucket in 10 degree weather and in 40 degree weather (nothing like the ice melting around you and having to run the four-wheeler wide open to make the gap of open water that forms from land OUTward to the ice's edge.. good times).

Also fished in ice houses ranging from tents to 6 hole models with aluminum siding, a cooking stove, and bunkbeds. That's living! I remember on Lake Mille Lacs they actually plowed the ice, making roads and putting bridges over any places where the ice heaves and makes ridges. I'm sure they still do. I think they had road signs out there, too.

Bluegills and perch can be fun, too. Walleye, too. But I gotta say I only truly enjoyed it when it was 30+ degrees in the spring. Sunfish and crappie bite is amazing when the water warms up. Sorry I don't know about ice fishing for trout because I never experienced trout before I moved to Florida and experienced speckled sea trout.

Now here's the real question: who has done spearing? Nothing like looking down into 10-15 feet of clear water (through a gaping 3' x 4' hole), as a 25 lb northern pike cruises in on your 6" wooden minnow decoy. Can't get to that spear fast enough!

15. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    We use to fish crappie through the ice, been a long time though, back when things like freezin to death didnt bother me. lol.
    Here's an ice fishin trick we use to use back in the day. Take along one of your yungens remote control 4x4's, a rubber band, and a bottle of schnopps. That way everybody stays warm and happy without having to get up and chase the bottle. Just hollar and here it comes,:wink:

16. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    i belive that tip ups are legal because these major fishing places like sportsmans sell them. so they probably are legal. try checking the proclamation.

17. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    man that sounds cool ive only caught silvers in the summer. in some parts of utah like the high uintas we get an average depth of 4+ feet of ice by december. except for this year. we still take the snowmobiles out on the ice though. lots of fun.

18. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    you need to try it before you nock it them small bows and even the big ones you can slam um every time i use my ultalight ugly stick and a small ratfinkee and i slay trout and small mouth bass at strawberry and you consistantly hook up. so you otta try it. they work really well.

19. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Actually once when I was fishing at the lake in my picture above I had a funny thing happen which I am glad I had a friend there to witness. I was sitting drinking coffee when my pole started jumping. I set the hook with my free hand. Usually I'll get them hooked and then set the rod down and fight them with just the line so I can quckly give them line if needed and I can try to keep it from cutting on the bottom of the hole, which can be tricky with really thick ice. Anyway, I was fishing with 2 holes about 3 feet apart, the fish pulled line all of the sudden and and to my surprise jumped straight up out of the other hole about a foot, line following and then went back down. Finally got him up, a nice rainbow...but we sure laughed about being ice fishing and having a fish still jump out of the water. :smile2:

mike

20. tkeyhunter

tkeyhunter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Parents were kind enough to leave the big city & retire on Leech Lake in MN.
    Have to call myself a little whimpy.... want the ice house. It's like watching TV inside the icehouse. You can see a crawdad on the bottom 15 ft down clear as HDTV. God bless mom & dad!