Anybody hunt Public land?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by flatheaddundee, Nov 28, 2005.

1. flatheaddundee

flatheaddundee New Member

State:
    Madison,MS
    Does anyone here hunt public lands such as NWRs, WMAs, or the like?

2. crane

crane New Member

State:
    Paragould, AR
    That's all I ever hunt anymore. I live in NE Arkansas and got tired of getting blamed for cutting fences and littering so i started hunting public land. I have to contend with a few more hunters but have had better success on public land than private, probably because I have more room to roam and hunt new stands everytime in instead of hunting the same stand over and over on small parcels of land.

3. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    i do access to private and leased land but my favorite spots are on some wma's down here we have a ton of wma's to choose from but it can be annoying when people walk through your hunting area,it's hard sometimes not to tell em' off but there just like you trying to find a place to hunt,you just got there first.......

4. flatheaddundee

flatheaddundee New Member

State:
    Madison,MS
    I hunt the Panther Swamp NWR in mississippi and I know that there have been monsters taken off it. I just started hunting it this year and I get into the most inaccesible places I can find, ain't seen any big ones yet but I'll keep ya'll posted. I think hunting on public land requires a lot more SKILL and EFFORT to get a good deer. Got any tips for selecting a public land to hunt?
    P.S.- when you kill big ones consistently with a bow on public ground you can consider yourself an expert in my mind.

5. hookeye

hookeye New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Used to hunt the Tranquility wildlife area in southeastern Ohio quite a bit, It was a good area to hunt as it was not getting a lot of pressure due to it's location. I have been hunting the Taylorsville wildlife management area here in Ky for the last 3 yrs, found it best to plan hunts through the week to avoid a crowd. There are a great many good deer there and you must be at your best to take em, due to the extreme weekend pressure they see. It gets real tough after gun season as they have a quota hunt every year and it takes the rascals some time to calm down after all the shooting.

6. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Deer hunting is expensive enough already and I won't pay for a deer lease and currently don't have the funds to have my own land so public is all I hunt. We have a lot of WMA and Corps land to hunt around here so there plenty of places to hunt. There is also a lot of Bow Only sections of WMA land near me and there's decent populations of deer in them. Since they don't have the pressure of rifle and blackpower to deal with the population is good. This is also one of my favorite places to Bowhunt during rifle season. The deer on the other parts of the WMA where there is rifle season feel the pressure of the gun hunters and come south to my Bow only section of WMA. I also access Corps public hunting thats really only accessable by boat. This keeps a lot less pressure on these woods.

7. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    every once in a blue moon ill hunt Russel Sage wma in northeast louisiana. about once a decade it produces a monster B & C class buck however i really dislike public hunting lands. too dangerous and the odds of taking a deer arent as good as where i usually hunt. am tho considering bowhunting D'arbonne nwr next fall.