Anybody here show steers?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by jlingle, Mar 10, 2009.

1. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Well, we're about to embark on a new family adventure. After showing hogs all my days, and one year of it with my kids, we're moving on to show calves now. It'll be lots more work, but the kids have shown me so far that they're up for it. We raise our own, so all I'm really gonna need to buy at this point is the show equipment. I've never drug a steer into a show ring in my entire life, but my dad knows a fair bit about feeding them out. We just have to figure out the daily routines necessary, as well as the show rituals of clipping & fitting. It'll be a whole new world.

I'm excited. While raising our show hogs, I got to spend every afternoon with my kids for the last 5 months. Yes it was expensive, but I think it was a pretty small investment for the quality of return I got. Not everyone gets to do something that fun with their kids everyday. The kids enjoy it as well, and I hope the show calves will be the same. They worked really hard with the pigs. I look forward to seeing their hard work pay off for them next year in the show ring with a steer.

2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Jerrod that's great , I was trying to get my son involed with it last year lol But now that his is A BIG 16 year old:smile2: he find's girl's smell better than cattle lmao

3. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Pretty cool ya get to spend decent time with the kids and pass on knowledge. They are learning something they can make use of for the rest of their lives. It gives ya an opportunity to know who they are and them to know you. It will help in the future.

4. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Our Ag teacher at the school teaches ours how to judge and takes them to the fair every year to do that as an assignment. If you needed info you could probably start there and and your local Ag teacher could help you out with any details you needed.

Glad you get to share something like that with your children...its good for them and you :)

5. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    Good call. My AG Teacher was a very positive role model for me. I learned so much from him. Thats a great place to start.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jerrod,Thats great. My daughter is doing rabbits this year fot the first tim. She really wanted a goat ,But I wont let her show any large livestock. The reason is that the county folks here are so caught up on winning and money that theyll spend whatever necessary to get the cream of the crop. Some have bought bull semen at 3,000/straw just to get a winning calf . I am doing my best to show my daughter that it aint about the money.:wink:

7. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    good luck on the showing , but more to the point the most important thing u r doing is spending time with your children ,sometime a lot of parents don,t do

8. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Richard, What kind of rabbits is your daughter raising? I raise New Zealand Whites commercially but never got into the show circut.

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Dean,She has californians,mini lops ,and we have two N Z bucks ,one was sexed as a doe when we bought her,but now there aint no doubt. We are in the mkt for at least one good breeding N Z doe for the meat pen bunnies,there have to be three rabbits of same color,all as close to 5 lbs ,without being over and a combined weight of 15 lbs for the trio. These make the salering here. If they are Grand ,and reserve grand.

10. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Anybody here show steers? Sure Have! I've showed cattle in 4-H back in my younger days. I managed to take 2 grand champions and 1 reserve champion in the show ring. Learned alot about the raising and care of cattle and had alot of great help from my father and some friends who taught me the ropes of showing cattle. The downside was selling the PETS after the fair and it was a sad feeling that lasted for awhile, but it was all good, when it was explained to me. Had a great time doing it and cherish the memories I had!!:wink:

Thanks..