Anybody here doing any snagging for spoonies?

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by Believer, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I live in IL & was snagging on the Mississippi over the weekend. I didn't get any spoonies, but I did snag a flat head that weighed about 15 #

Eric

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Our season in Missouri is from March 15th to April 30th. So it will be a while before I can get back out there. We have one of the best areas in the country to catch them, between Lake of the Ozarks and Truman lake. Our state record is 139lbs. plus. My largest to date was a 102 pounder,they are fun!

3. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    You can also snag in Mo. from Sept. 15 - Dec. 15, but only in the Mississippi river.
    I live Near Hannibal & have been thinking of trying at Saverton dam.

Eric

4. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I think i'm going to hit the IL. side of Saverton tomorrow :cool:

Eric

5. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    close to snagging time is it? I live In Burlington Iowa might have to go out this sunday and try it

6. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Well, I went out for a short time today, but didn't really do any good. I think the water needs to be a bit cooler, but i'll keep going anyway. If nothing else, it's good exercise! :)

Eric

7. davesoutfishing

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    lol yea that it is I will be going out sunday or monday

8. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Make sure to report back. :D

9. macfish

macfish New Member

State:
    Monroe City, Missouri
    macfish here - Believer - I'm originally from Quincy but since 1999 live in Monroe City. Lots of great fishing all around here: the reregulation dam, Salt River, Mark Twin Lake, Hunnewell Lake and of course the Mississippi. I've never tried snagging for paddlefish/spoonbill. I've got some gear that I think could do the trick but I'm not sure and of course I do not have an Illinois license. I'd have to have that to fish from the Illinois side. It would sure be interesting. Are many spoonbill actually taken there any given year? Jonathan

10. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    We snag spoonbill here in southeast Kansas on the Neosho river which pours into Grand Lake, Oklahoma. The season here is in the early spring when they run upstream to spawn. The state is pretty lenient with the season dates. If the water isn't right during season they will extend season until the run occurs and the water goes back down. On Grand Lake the spoonbill are usually schooling up in deep water during the fall and winter. When they begin staging in preparation to run in early spring they start catching them closer to where the Neosho and Spring rivers converge at Twin Bridges and pour into the lake. By the time the spoonbill get here the whitebass run is half over, and when the water goes up during that timeframe it brings not just the spoon bill and bluecats, but the wiper and more flathead as well as more shad. It's a mixed bag after that when you fish. You never know what you'll catch out there for about a month after the water rises and falls a couple times in the spring. Snag spoonies when the water is up...and cut shad and fish when it recedes. The fishing here on the Neosho is very seasonal though. In the spring it's as good as it gets anywhere...but by July...the water recedes for the last time and the now shallow Neosho can be walked across from rock to rock in some places. All the fish go back to the lake and don't come back until next spring.

11. davesoutfishing

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    any luck with the bills yet?....the wife and I went out last sunday caught alot of snags and one perch real windy out

12. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Not yet, but i'm planning to go out today for a little while. Maybe i'll get lucky.

Eric

13. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I went out for 2 hours today below the dam @ Meyer, IL & didn't even hit a fish.
    Another guy came along about the time I was quitting & said that he snagged some spoonbill there last weekend.

Eric

14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Hey all you spoonies.I am curious as to how you snag them.Not a detailed description and what do you do with them.I used to see some dead ones in Tenn.I believe and they are an interesting fish.I dont think we have any down here in NC/SC or at least I havent heard of any.Are they edible?Just curiuos.

15. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Excellent eating JIM,
    I use three 10/0 treble hooks and a 10 to 16 ounce weight depending on the current. My largest has been 102 pounds. If your ever up this way in season Jim give me a holler.

16. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I use anywhere from a 8/0 to 12/0 treble hook also. I use to throw up to eight ounces of lead but found out at least where I snag two ounces will get hung up a lot less at the low water dam I fish. I would probably use more lead if I was still stuck snagging from shore but it's less dangerous and less crowded on the water. They will have people snagging shoulder to shoulder in the spring here. Fights will break out and you never know when eight ounces of lead will come flying from the other side of the river. :eek: I've eaten spoonbill several times but even taking out all the red meat which there is a lot I still don't care too much for it. We have a place here in Oklahoma that they get stacked up so thick almost every cast you can snag one. They are lots of fun to catch especially when the smallest fish you catch is only 25 pounds.

17. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I don't fish from the bank, boat only. If your going from the bank 2 ounces and up will work. What ever it takes to make your cast. The way we cook ours your tongue will beat your mouth up waiting for it to get done, they are good.

18. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Spoonfish,

You'll have to post they way you cook those spoonies. I love just about any kind of fish but I just can't handle the taste of those spoonbill. I found out all that nasty red meat and spoonbill guts does make for some pretty good cut bait on the jugs. :D

19. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Hey Spoonfish, as a guide i'm sure you have some good stories of you or you clients catching monster spoons. Would you care to share a few of those on the other thread I started? I know i'm not the only one who would love to hear them! :)
    I've never snagged from a boat, it sounds both fun and dangerous. I may have to try it in the spring!

Eric

20. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Thanks guys for the answers,sounds like fun but what fishing isn't.