anybody heard about this?

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by veryama1975, Mar 4, 2008.

1. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    I was driving by a local Michigan lake & there were people out snagging & spearing for shad. It was on the edge of the lake where a warmer water discharge had melted the ice. I didn't even know that there even were shad in Michigan.

The guy who snagging there said the DNR had released the shad there for forage for the catfish and pike that they had also released there. He said they were spawning already & that they were getting way over populated so that the DNR was "looking the other way" about the snagging & spearing. I don't doubt that they are overpopulated because there were hundreds of dead shad laying around the shore & in the water & hardly any of them were less than about 12" long.

What kind of shad were they? I've never even heard of shad this far north.

He also said that people were using cast nets to get the shad. Michigan DNR regs say that cast nets can't be used in any "inland waters"...basically they can't be used anywhere but on the Great Lakes. Since shad aren't native, can cast nets be legally used on them in inland Michigan waters?

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    In response to your post. I believe the shad you saw were Gizzard Shad. They are quite common in our lakes and rivers. I think the state record is around 3 lbs. A 12 inch shad isn't uncommon around here. They make great bait for catfish and the like. Also I signed the petition on Catfish Rescue. I support Catfish conservation everywhere. Thanks Matt.:big_smile:

Mark from Nebraska

3. ittybittykitty

ittybittykitty New Member

State:
    Belleville Michigan
    Cast nets are NOT legal. Shad are not legal to spear. The Conservation Officers will not overlook these violations. It is legal to use a dip net or minnow trap forcatching shad. Check the rules under legal fishing methods. Maybe I'll see you on the water this summer.

4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Should make for some big cats and pike once they start feeding on all those shad during the thaw?!

5. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Hey Phil,

I don't plan on doing it myself but it does seem like they are overlooking it. The area of the lake they are doing it at is right outside of town & about 25ft off a very busy road. There are hundreds of large dead shad all over the place. If they aren't deliberately overlooking it, they must be blind.

I'm thinking about going down there with a garbage bag & collecting a lot of them. I thought maybe if I vacuum packed & froze them they might make good bait this spring/summer.

What do you think?

6. ittybittykitty

State:
    Belleville Michigan
    I think you will catch a lot of cats on those shad. Some people like "soured" shad, I do best with ones I freeze as soon after they die as I can. I usually cut them up before I freeze them. As far as those guys not getting caught, we don't have enough Conservation Officers in Michigan.

7. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    How small should I cut them up before I freeze them? Is it best to cut them up to bait size pieces or should I leave them in bigger chunks so that they might retain more juices or "freshness"?

8. ittybittykitty

State:
    Belleville Michigan
    I cut mine into bite size pieces. I frequently put 2 or 3 pieces on the hook to give a large mass. I like lots of surface area on the pieces so lots of juice can flow out in the water. I try to replace the bait every 20-30 minutes. Hopefully I lose the bait sooner than that when the fish bite. Since I freeze them as soon as I cut them and keep them frozen as long as I can on the water, I don't think I am losing much. I often stick them on the hook when they are still frozen. I usually am using 3/0 or 4/0 circle hooks.