Anybody have a zebco 808 magnum?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by coltsfan, Dec 2, 2006.

1. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    just wondering if it is a good reel or not. whats your opinion of it.thinking about getting one for my dad for xmas.

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    My 6 year old son caught a 6 1/4 lb.Red Fish with one while Saltwater fishing in 1972.We were in a boat and were able to chase the fish as he fought it right by himself.Both he and the Zebco 808 are still fishing and working fine.Both have been spooled many times by large sharks and such.I also have a 25+ year old 888 bought so that my younger son could fish that is doing as well and has been used the same.peewee

3. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    bumping this up .anyone else?

4. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Kevin I have one that I bought in the 70s its no telling the catfish caught on ITjust cean and oil every now and then :0a18:

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I can't remember if it was a 808 or 888 or what. But it was a Zebco (cause I loved the 33's) and it was stainless and the largest one they made. But I only got a few trips with it at the river and it wouldn't cast right or reel so I pitched it. Wasn't even one season.
    One of my fishing buddies got one (stainless) like mine that had no drag system at all. It was direct drive also no reverse. I know it was a zebco 8 something. The 3rd or fourth time out he hooked a flatty that snapped his 30lb line and broke his rod into 3 pieces cause of the no drag or handle reverse. I don't know if thats the same reel or not that you're talking about so you might want to hold one before you buy it. See if it has a drag and such. hope this helps.

6. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Yes, the 808's and 888's have drag.

Nice good reliable reels. Not a winch, but a reel

7. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I've always been a Zebco fan. There you are PeeWee; was wondering.
    Been missing yer posts. How ya healing Pastor? Old bones fitting together?
    Good place for us old farts, in a big pile of Zebco parts....
    :lol:

8. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    by my grandfather on a Zebco 202 and caught quite a few fish with it. I don't have any in my possession now but I'd buy another Zebco not necessarily a 202 but a Zebco none the less in a heartbeat. They are very good reels!:big_smile:

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio

I was just saying I have seen a model that looks like those two that had no drag. I couldn't understand why they made a reel like that. I had never seen one before. The one I had did have a drag system.

10. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have the "new" (2006) Zebco 808 Magnum reel. I caught the 20# flatty in my picture with it on a 6'6" ugly stik. It has a good drag for a spincast and selectable anti-reverse with bait clicker. Comes spooled with 25# line. The new ones are much stronger and better built than the older styles. As long as you land the fish properly with the rod and not try to crank it in with the reel it will last forever. The new Prostaff 888 is a step above the 808 Magnum also. I feel most people expect to much from spincast reels and try to crank in big fish as fast as they can without playing the fish by pumping the rod and reeling on the down stroke. Zebco 808 and 888 get A+ in my book.

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I seem to remember being told that some of the 808 & 888 type reels were made with out drags for Bow Fishing around 1970,plus or minus a few years.I saw quite a few Zebco's strapped to bows.Shooting Gar off of the Fort Pulaski bridge was quite popular then.They use to hang a disabled Vet friend off of the side of the bridge so that he could participate.I think that they stopped it because most of the traffic would stop and watch,which backed up traffic clear out to and on to highway 80.I could chunk a spear or gig with the very best,but was never much with those "New fangled" weapons like a Bow.peewee-williams

12. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    I've got several 888s that I have used for years. ( I think they are about the same reel as the 808s) ? I still use a couple of them when I do an all nighter and the fishing is slow . I cast out everything I have and that includes the old Zebcos. Only trouble I have ever had with them is I put spiderwire on one for awhile and it wore a notch where the string rubs as it comes off the reel. Only one that ever did that and I'm sure it was the spiderwire that did it. They have a good drag system and as long as you keep decent string on them they cast like charm. Not a thing inside that will rust, all stainless and brass so all I ever do to clean em is take the cover off and blast em with a garden hose, add a dab of grease to the gears once a year and a couple drops of oil now and then and they are good to go. Biggest thing I caught on one of them was a thirty something carp and he worked the drag hard but it did fine. Caught dozens of 10/15 lbers and a few 20s on them, no problems ever.If you like spin casters, they are good for the money. My wife won't use a bait caster so I keep the old Zebcos in the boat for her too when she goes along.