anybody had any catfishing luck recently in eastern NC?

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by CatSlayer715, Nov 2, 2009.

1. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    Well the last 5 times out or so, ive gotten skunked. only a couple bites but no takers. mostly on the neuse in goldsboro and kinston and on the tar in greenville. ive always had good bait (live and cut eels and bream) and still came up empty handed. anyone in the eastern nc (an hour or so from greenville) had any luck on descent sized cats (blues/flats)?? I dont know if its me or the fish just aint biting, but im starting to get frustrated. i havent made my way to cowpen yet but plan to very soon. but like i said, ive put in at the 117 ramp in goldsboro, and the 70 ramp in kinston and port terminal in greenville. Ive fished good structure, descent temps, good current, etc. and still no fish. HELP ME OUT OF THIS RUT!

2. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC

3. karaep

karaep Member

State:
    Greenville, NC
    David,

Last month I've been catching blues and flats in the Neuse. Fished the Tar out of Hardee Creek (Port Terminal Road) one night and caught three flats. The problem I've always had with the Tar is catching fish with any size. I know bigger fish are there, I'm just always battling with gar.

You don't have to go all the way to Cow Pen to catch nice cats in the Neuse. Once the state is finished with the ramp at Maple Cypress you can fish there. Also try Pelican Landing near Pitchkettle Creek. You can also put in at Gaskins Landing (membership required) on Contentea Creek and fish the creek and the river.

I'm planning to fish the Neuse one evening/night this weekend and will let you know how I do.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I don't know about up your way but I've finally started catching some so maybe the bite is starting to pick up. The water temps are getting right for the blues to start eating good. It'll get better, just gotta keep going.

5. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    call me what ya want, but have NO idea where any of those places are. lol.. i dont even know what town they're in. lol mind helping me out?:confused2:

6. karaep

karaep Member

State:
    Greenville, NC
    Maple Cypress, Pelican Landing, and Cow Pen Landing are all off River Rd.

The easiest way is to take Highway 11 South out of Greenville and turn on 118 East near Grifton. Follow 118 to River Road. There are faster ways to get there depending on what part of town you live in.

You can use Google Earth for directions and also to help find possible fishing spots on the river by locating bends in the river, creek mouths, and slues.

There is no substitue for doing your homework and spending time on the river.

Good luck David

7. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    thanks a ton bud. im going to try it out soon! probably next weekend. Im in Mooresville right now in a hotel, waiting to go on Norman with Mac. Im sure i'll get some pigs tomorrow!

8. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    ok you answered my question in the pm i sent you with this post

9. karaep

karaep Member

State:
    Greenville, NC

Good luck, get you a good one.

I'll be on the Neuse sometime after church tomorrow, maybe from 3:00-9:00pm, or until I get cold.