Anybody got info on Goat Rock on the Chattahoochee

Discussion in 'GEORGIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by brother hilljack, Feb 18, 2009.

1. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Drove up to Goat rock to day and looked around. Could not see too much of the lake, but the ramp looked really nice:wink:.

I am planning on hitting it for some catfish in the near future, but would like to collect some info. Anybody go any good info on this lake or where the hot spots are.

How close to the Lake Harding dam can you get and how deep is the water around both dams?

2. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    It is hard for me to believe that no one is fishing or has fished at goat rock.

3. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Still waiting for Goat Rock info???? Somebody please help

4. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    See brother you should have stayed in Ohio where we help a brother out.

5. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    I ain't got no idea about it or even where it is

6. mark2256

mark2256 New Member

State:
    Now in Alabama
    Hey Bro,
    I just moved from Columbus and really gonna miss Goat Rock.:sad2: I was just learning it when I got transferred. I talked to one one the locals that was fishing about a mile from the dam in the channel in front of that bay looking area with the camps on it. He said that it's one of the better spots. It's about 26'-30' depending on the water level. Caught a couple of nice 5-6 pounders plus some smaller ones. Had my line broken once it was a nice fish. Also he told me about where Mulberry Creek comes out is another good spot. Not much boat traffic the couple times I went, just about had the lake to myself. Be careful close to the dam, lots of rocks. Never tried fishing there. Let us know how you do.

7. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for the info brother. I will check out those places. I have heard nothing but good things about the lake

8. papasage

papasage Member

State:
    Fitzgerald, Geo
    i have fished harding a couple of times but not for cats . this was crappie trips . i have a frind that crappie fish up there lives 10 minutes from the lake harding . he runs a produce stand and sells boild peanuts . you probabley see hem there around columbus . he could tell you where the deep holes are in hardin and goatrock .he was on the GON frunt page holding a large stringe of crappie . he also does a guide service for crappie . his cell # is 334 448 8860.

9. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am going to be fishing Goat Rock quite frequently in April. The Hilljacks will be holding an event here in May

10. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Still looking for Goat Rock info. I will be heading up that way sometime next week

11. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Finally going to launch the boat at goat rock and fish for a couple of hours. Nothing too serious, just a familization run. Hoping to catch a couple of fish with my wife. Let me know if anyone else is fishing goat rock today or this weekend. I hear there are some real good channel catfish up there.

12. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    water was way up at goat rock today and the wind was creating some pretty big waves!! Did manage to get one small Channel cat in the boat. Hopefully, I will have better luck in the future.

13. BFrith

BFrith New Member

State:
    Beulah, Alabama
    Yeah, We went up to goat rock this weekend and a lot has changed since I was there in the past.found some good holes through out the river with a little help (a lot of help) from my Mentor.We were there when they opened the gates and was a lot of fun. Up near the dam I saw one boat pretty close, and the other small plant has markers to let you know how close you can get. I didn't catch anything but my Mentor was knocking them out.

14. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Burt, keep us posted on your trips to goat rock. I will try to learn as much as I can from you guys! Hope you get on a big one soon

15. BFrith

BFrith New Member

State:
    Beulah, Alabama
    Hey Shane! Went to goatrock this morning and caught some good cats. They were big to me but eddie said they were little ones so I just got to keep it up until I git the big one according to Eddie's specs.
    I never dought what he tells me.

16. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Heading up to Goat Rock on saturday. My partner and I will FINALLY get a chance to go check out the entire lake. Once I get it mapped out good, then I will be able to learn how to fish it. Sure is going to be hot and that weather should get the fish to moving about. Shad are going to be real shallow, so I am sure the cats will follow them. May even try to get some drifting in. Its been awhile for drifting, so I will have to get my act together on that also.

Long story short......................saturday is a day for learning and if possible, some fishing!

17. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    good luck to ya brother

18. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks Eddie, I am going to need it. I hate fishing a body of water for the first time! Worse yet, I hate fishing lakes, but that is a skill I need to develop.

Have you had any luck with bait this week?

19. macdaddy

macdaddy New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    Good luck its seems to be a nice little lake. I liked it for my 1st. time there. It had a good current flow down thru about half the lake and we caught fish so I was happy. Found a few hole down in lake I will fish again but may set up on them different next time!!!!!!

20. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    Not much luck on skipjack. I was going to goatrock tomorrow but I need to go for bait instead. I will go for bait and let you know what I come up with:cool2: