Anybody got a report?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by Catfish_Scooter, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I havent been able to get out in a few weeks, was just seeing if the cats were still biting. I may go tomorrow and try to get bait cuz i'm totally out.

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Man its been quiet in the Tennessee section lately.

3. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee
    I know I thought that myself. Cmon' guys wheres them fish at?? This is supposed to be heavy feeding time for the fish!:eek:oooh:

4. festus

festus New Member

This ain't exactly Middle Tennesseee, but I went fishing at Melton Hill Dam five days in a row last week, did fairly well on small eating fish from 2 lb to 6-1/2 lbs earlier in the week, got one that was 29" long, didn't weigh it, but caught it on a crawdad. The best days were Mon, Tue, and Wed, Thursday was really slow and I only caught one 10" channel and a 9" largemouth bass and a few bluegill on Friday.

I talked to one fisherman down there Friday who says the best spots around my neck of the woods for lunker catfish is below Watts Bar Dam, below Ft. Loudoun Dam, Kingston Steam Plant, and Bull Run Steam Plant. The only problem is the steam plants are probably not going to generate this winter. :sad2: :embarassed: This guy knows what he's talking about because he showed me several photos of big muskies, paddlefish, and catfish on his cell phone camera.

Yeah, folks, it really is getting quite slow on here lately, get the fishing stories coming back. :wink:

5. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    going tomorrow, hopefully I'll have some stories for yall.:006:

6. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    I have been hanging out in the HI section.

7. festus

festus New Member

Better stay out of the HI section, Jugger, or they'll try to get you HIGH. :wink:

8. 01ssrms

01ssrms New Member

State:
    TN
    Made it out this morning on Old Hickory from the Avondale boat launch. I was really suprised by how low the water was. I did catch 2 channels in the 2-3 pound range and had a few bites, overall pretty slow though. But I got the last skipjack out of the freezer which makes the wife happy and you couldn't have asked for a more beautiful morning on the lake. I got down to the boat ramp just as the heavy fog was starting to lift and there were about 20 turkeys walking in the grass beside the lake.

Have a great one guys.

9. festus

festus New Member

....I drove to a culvert in a park on the Melton Hill Reservoir, got there right at daybreak. Thought I needed a break from fishing dam tailwaters. 2" to 8" shad were swimming around most everywhere, I just tied on the smallest dipsey sinker I had in the box with a treble hook about 6" above it, started snagging the small shad and would throw them in with the light weight. There was a good current running through the culvert and it would get calm, then change directions. I hooked a nice bass, looked to be about 4 pounds, couldn't tell if it was a smallmouth or largemouth, but it jumped 3' out of the water and threw the hook. Tried a live 4" bluegill on bottom for quite a while with no luck. Tried 2 to 3 nightcrawlers threaded onto a hook for a while, got about a 13" largemouth bass. A few minutes later I hooked and landed a 17" largemouth. Talked to some old timers and they say there's a lot of 20 pound + blues come out of this area, then some are just too big to handle. While a bunch of us were standing by the boat ramp BS-ing, a 4' muskie slashed at something over in a cove. An older guy in his 80's caught about a 10 lb. carp on a shad minnow.

I thought I'd change lakes, and drove to a similar area on Watts Bar Reservoir about 35 minutes away with culverts and current. Tried bluegill fillets, nightcrawlers, shad minnows, nothing happening, caught a 13" largemouth on a Roadrunner jig, along with some more bluegill and redeyes. Finally right before dark, the white crappie started hitting. In less than half an hour I had 7 keepers ranging from 10-1/2" to 14-1/2", all hit large tuffie minnows. All I had was a lightning bug flashlight, didn't bring any lanterns or I'd have hung around an catfished some more. At least I have 7 more good crappies filleted in the freezer and some cut bait for tomorrow.:wink:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  10. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee
    Looks like the bass are really feeding. Anyhow thanks for that great report I will try and bring somethin good back to the thread tomorrow when I go. But for now lets hope I get into some fish!

11. festus

festus New Member

I got to the culvert on Watts Bar Reservoir yesterday morning right at daylight, fishing with three rods. This is where I caught the largest catfish of my life over 20 years ago, about a 40 lb. blue. Had cut bluegill on one rod, nightcrawlers on one rod, and large tuffie minnows on another rod. In less than 10 minutes I had 2 keeper crappie and a 14 inch largemouth. Didn't have a bite on cut bait all day at this spot, but continued to catch bass and crappie at a slower pace all day long. Right before dark, the crappe started hitting again. I ended with a total of 9 for the day, again anywhere from just over 10" to 14", and released about 5 just under the 10 inch limit. Talked to an old fellow who leases some land on the eastern shore, and he said TWRA had caught and transplanted a 102 pound sturgeon out of this hole about two years ago, and that certain times of the year muskie, sauger, and striper may also be caught. I'll definitely be back.

So right after dark I moved to a spot called Walker Landing, this spot will be familiar to Mr. Frank Craddock who posts on here. Lots of folks clean their fish here and dump the scraps in the water, so I thought maybe it would be baited up beforehand. I had a big hit on a big strip of bluegill fillet on my old surfcaster rod, and out of confusion, I tried setting the drag in the front instead of the rear drag. I didn't stand a chance. The rod bowed and the line popped. My other catfish spinning rod has a front drag, it was completely dark and I was fishing by street lights and a small flashlight. Hung around till about an hour longer and caught about a 5 pound blue. Again a productive day, but only one catfish. :wink:

12. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee
    Better one than none!:wink: WTG on the catch!