Anybody from the Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte area?

Discussion in 'LOCAL FLORIDA TALK' started by veryama1975, Apr 3, 2008.

1. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    I'm going to be in the Punta Gorda area for a few weeks & I wondered if anybody could give me any pointers on where to find the cats. Are those canals that are all over the place any good? Wouldn't mind fishing in the bay either if I could catch a good sized fish.

Thanks for any help.

2. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    I live here, just north of port charlotte. Got some questions for u.

When are u going to be here? Have u been here before? Do u have a boat to use while u are here? Would u like to use mine?

Send me a PM if you like.

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I hope to come down in December to the Englewood, Rotunda area. Heck do you even have cats down there? The Redfish, and Snook is good down there. Are Gill nets legal down there or just cast nets?

4. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    My wife is from Arcadia which is inland from there. The Peace River is in that area and I have went with my brother-in-law and caught some nice fish. Everything from catfish upriver to reds, snook, mangrove snapper, etc. down towards the coast.

5. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Sorry I didn't respond earlier...this is the first time in days that I've been online. I've been out trying to catch fish.

At first I got a saltwater license because it all seems to be saltwater around here. I've mostly just caught a few little hardhead catfish but I did catch a little bonnethead shark the other & boy did he taste good! I could only afford a 3 day license at the time so I haven't gotten to fish in the bay as much as I'd like. I sure would love to catch & eat a 3 or 4 foot shark. The one I caught was only about 18" long but he sure fought hard for such a little fish.

By the way, I don't know why so many people that I've talked to around here talk about hardhead (saltwater) catfish as being inedible trash fish because I fried one up & it wasn't too bad. I'll admit I didn't like it nearly as well as regular catfish but it wasn't bad...I actually think it tasted better than the little redfish my daughter caught. And NO that's not just sour grapes because the little squirt

6. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Sorry I didn't respond earlier...this is the first time in days that I've been online. I've been out trying to catch fish.

At first I got a saltwater license because it all seems to be saltwater around here. I've mostly just caught a few little hardhead catfish but I did catch a little bonnethead shark the other & boy did he taste good! I could only afford a 3 day license at the time so I haven't gotten to fish in the bay as much as I'd like. I sure would love to catch & eat a 3 or 4 foot shark. The one I caught was only about 18" long but he sure fought hard for such a little fish.

By the way, I don't know why so many people that I've talked to around here talk about hardhead (saltwater) catfish as being inedible trash fish because I fried one up & it wasn't too bad. I'll admit I didn't like it nearly as well as regular catfish but it wasn't bad...I actually think it tasted better than the little redfish my daughter caught. And NO that's not just sour grapes because the little squirt caught a much bigger fish than her old man. lol

That was last weekend. This weekend I bought a 3 day freshwater license. I've tried the Peace river in Arcadia and Gardner but I didn't catch a single thing. I just lost a lot of liver to some little nibblers. I did get to see some beautiful country though.

We just got back from the Miyakka River State Park tonight. I didn't have much luck fishing but we did get to see a lot of wildlife & a lot of beautiful country. I got to see some alligators pretty close up...but safely from the dock or bridge. I don't think I'd want to bank fish at night there. I especially wouldn't want to right now because it's mating season for the alligators.

7. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Shawn! Good to see you again brother.

8. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    Matt, PM sent. I have a small shark in my fishbox that just fills the bill for your eating. Lemon. Call me.

Shawn, Pm sent.

9. reeftank

reeftank New Member

State:
    iowa bettendorf
    you dont have to have saltwater license in florida just if you are fishing from a boat i got one for years untill i found out :angry:

10. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    If I'm understanding you correctly, does that mean I don't have to have a license of any kind to fish from the shore or a pier around the harbor? If so, I sure wish I'd of known that. I'd of been out fishing tonight, most likely.

11. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Non-Residents DO have to have a saltwater license in Florida. Only residents can fish saltwater without the license and then there are certain restrictions.