Anybody fishing around Girard? Let's go!

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by catinaldatime, Dec 27, 2007.

1. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    I am on the water more than I am on land. I fish mostly around Sangchris or Coffeen, sometimes Otter and any body of water that isn't froze and has fish. My main goal of fishing is big flathead, I have caught a couple little ones lol, so far, but who knows what the future holds for me and my rod.:wink: So, anyway, if anyone in the area wants to fish, let me know.

Attached Files:

2. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Charlie, Good to meet you here. I use to live in Nilwood back in the early 70's and knew lots of fine folks in Girard. I fished Otter lake back in those days. Caught a flathead in the spilway and back then didn't know the difference in one catfish from another....lol. Didn't have a boat back then and fished several areas around the lake with success. I look forward to more of your posts here.

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I fish Sangchris quite a bit.. I've probably seen ya out there :smile2:

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Howdy Charlie, fish Sangchris some, mostly Coffeen this time of year, since it is out the back door about 10 miles, it has been bad low all year (as most places) but starting to get a little more water in it, yea the docks are almost floating again lol. Stripers been hitting before the cat around the hump up on the north side as you round to head into the hot water arm, you know on the point where the train tracks stop while they are unloading.....
    Randy

5. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    yea i know what point ur talking about across from tha dam right? i do alot of drift fishing with live bluegill,it is real affective for bigger fish,yes water is really low,we got stuck last weekend we backed up and our tires went off the ramp into the rocks,we sat there for good 1hour trying to get the thing unstuck ,this guy ends up pulling us out,im going back this weekend throw a couple rattle traps then about 430 ill set up for cats well gotta go thanks for responding hope to see yall, PEACE

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yep thats the spot, net some shad up on the no boat line in the ditch, they are there may need to let the net sink 5+ feet down but they are there most all the time. Hey just for future reference, you can go up to the park shop there at the ramp and one of the guys will assist on the ramp, usually someone is there until 5 every day, if there not they are out running around some where. Brad usually is around. It has been terrible all summer, it is a good thing they added the rock there about 4 months ago, or ya would have been in the prop wash hole :eek:oooh:!

any way the striper have been ripping the shad around that hump (probably an island by now) can't keep the shad on bottom long enough for the Flathead to eat because of them...LOL! nice ones been running in the a.m. 8-10ish it seems through the week

7. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    Maybe there is noone around my area... that's a bummer.. looking for some local fishermen just to go fishing with... anybody gonna hit the BOC in 2008? My wife and I are gonna make arrangements to go, looks like a good time and it shouldn't be too far for us.:smile2: Look forward to meeting everyone!

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yes there should be several, don't forget there is an Illinois gathering at Carlyle and one at rend lake, in the threads, then the National, You heading down to the uncle sci-fi this weekend? several going to that also.

9. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I'm in Sherman (north of Springfield) , We can hook up and fish Sangchris if ya want

10. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    I'll have to find the threads on those get togethers, I did not know about them, greatly appreciate it. Is there a thread to tell you the basic functions of the site to help me get around easier.
    Yah, sounds good, I went to Coffeen last night, not a lot going on, caught a 8lb. channel, drifting bluegill. I fish Coffeen a lot, cause I have a fishing buddy over there with a boat, mine isn't able to be put on the water right now so when I go to Sangchris I usually fish the bank. Caught a couple nice channels about 2 weeks ago there, about halfway down the hotditch. We've hooked into flathead in the hotditch but I think the big one is right across from the dam, almost going into the west mouth. I don't know Sangchris as well as Coffeen.

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Bottom of the home page has a help and info section that will help ya out, BOC MEMBER GATHERINGS will cover the gatherings,

Were there many on Coffeen last night...LOL, hows the main launch looking???

12. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    Okay, so I found the Rend Lake in the threads but can't seen to find the Carlyle Lake gathering in the threads, :embarassed: Sorry to bother you guys with my junk , I need to take some to read the library, I checked it out and didn't see any basic info on how to navigate the site, maybe I'm in the wrong department all together ,, lol. :roll_eyes:

13. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    Hey I greatly appreciate all your help, is catstock the carlyle gathering?

14. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    Yah, not many on Coffen either, LOL... just a couple of knuckleheads, I think he said his name was Charlie,,, lol... as for the launch... it's horrific... if anyone goes there do NOT let your back wheels go off in the rocks stay on the concrete... it's bad trouble on the North and South launch. You can't even dock your boat on the north ramp. No water at all. You can launch but All I got to say is be careful if you go there.

15. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    well other than a raft or canoe, I can't imagine anything being launched at the North ramp at all. Last week the water was still 3-4' from the bottom of the dock :crazy:

16. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Charlie, sorry Im not on here a whole lot lately but Im right outside of Modesto. Ive been looking for someone pretty close to me too. lol! Ive fished Otter alot and Terry park too. Ive heard from a couple of guys and the fisheries guy here in Macoupin county that there should be some really nice flatties in Terry park. Dont know if youve tried it there but it may be worth a shot. Ive fished Sangchris once but didnt have any luck, I really dont know what Im doing when it comes to flatties, yet! Ive never done any cold weather fishing but Id like to. Heck we're just a stones throw from each other. Let me know if you want to hook up anytime! Im starting a new job tomorrow down in Cahokia tomorrow at Midcoast Aviation and Im not sure of my shift yet but Ill fish whenever I can. Got a good wife here, she never cares if I go fishing, or when! Let me know whats up or pm me. If youd rather talk Ill get you my #.

17. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Charlie. Bearcat here. I live about mid way between sangchris and coffeen. I can see both stacks from my house. Would like to fish sometime.

On the Carlyle gathering. Catstock is it. Hope you can make it.

18. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Weatherman calling for 58 Sun.. Rain Sat and Mon.. If it doesn't Rain Sun, I may have to try to hot ditch area at Sangchris for some Flatheads.(55lb'r was caught 2 days ago). Prolly go Bank Fishing, if anyone interested (???), I'll post more later this week...

19. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Gonna be down at the Uncle sci-fi this weekend, may be interested in a trip after that, we get a nice decent day of no rain,snow,sleet,or hail ya know :wink:

20. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I may be interested in a day on Sunday, Tim, if you head out. I could use the help of someone who knows the lake. Let us know what the plans are and Id probably meet you out there.