Anybody fished the Rapp lately?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Moon Cat, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Moon Cat

Moon Cat New Member

State:
    Upper Marlboro, Maryland
    Im trying to fish Sat. 7/22 at night im wondering what the bites been like. Im hoping the weather will hold out with out to many T-storms. Catfish Queen will be with me so im hoping for good weather. Ill be in a 20 ft. dual console Sea Hunt If you need extra bait or want to talk catfishing.

2. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Not for sure at this time as the wife has been a little upset with me tonight. I have a bit of tree trimming to do tomorrow and the pay is gonna depend on the fishing. I f I go to the R$ap it will be around the edge of dark and I'll

3. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Please don't regard my fishing knowledge in comparison to my computer skills. I'm just about stupid when it comes to computers. My boy and me may be on the Rap tomorrow night depending on the outcome of todays' work. Hope to see you out there soon regardless. Later for now---jonnycat

4. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Chris Hicks down at Hick's landing said that the bugs have been unbearable at night. I hope it is breezy for your trip. Good luck! Where are you putting in?

5. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I use Hicks everytime I go on the lower end as I refer to it. The upper end is Fredericksburg to me and I use Little Falls ramp up there. The ramp ay Port Royal Fish House is so long and steep, I just don't care for it anymore. The little channel is shallow at best and my motor don't have hydraulic trim so it can be a little troublesome on Low Tide. I've had pretty good results the past few trips down there but nothing real big. Don't know when I'll be back out because of so much going on. The water temps on the James were 89-90 degrees on Wed night from Deep Bottom to the 95 bridge in Richmond. I suppose the fish are in the deeper holes where water temps are somewhat lower. I'm hoping for next week one evening maybe on the Potomac out of Ft Washington or Belle Haven. Just hate to leave my truck around those populated areas. Hope to see some of you on the water soon. Later for now---jonnycat

6. Rapp-Catter-06

Rapp-Catter-06 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    i went out last saturday night and caught 10,8,21,36. It was a nice night and yes the bugs were terrible. I could barely see when the lights were turned on. The fish I caught were in 25-35' on big gizzard shad chunks. I tried eels as well but couldn't get a sniff. The bite was ok. Caught a lot of small fish and the four mentioned above were the biggest.

7. ears

ears New Member

State:
    *Required*
    jonnycat if you like to fish all night pohick bay is the safest place around to leave your truck overnight. They lock the gates at night so you cant leave til morning and you have to tell them you're going all night but there is nothing and nobody around to mess with your truck.

8. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I have heard of the name Pohick but am unsure as to how to get there. When the weather cools down this fall I will be fishing from Marshall Hall opposite Ft Belvoir. It is probably no safer than any place else but it is a daytime only ramp. Not sure how the enforcement of the hours are kept. I am able to leave after my children get on the school bus. All three are in high school now so I can be on the road by 7am. Takes me about an hour and a half till I'm on the water and getting comfortable. Had pretty good luck down there from Thanksgiving till the end of Feb of this year. Come on cold weather. Thanks for the 411 on Pohick. I'll be sure to find it and use it too. Later for now---jonnycat

9. Moon Cat

Moon Cat New Member

State:
    Upper Marlboro, Maryland
    We fished the Rapp Sat night the 23rd. We had to off the river around 9 0r 10 .Lots of big T-storms. Fishing was slow . We went back on the river around 2 am. Everybody I talked to said fishig was slow also. We went out of Hicks. I like Hicks because the have porta johns, and the water is deeper around the ramp than at the fish house. I would use The Fish House ramp more if the dredged the channel. The guys at the Fish House are very help full If your not familliar with the river. We caught one fish all night 17 lbs. on cut shad.

10. Rapp-Catter-06

State:
    Virginia
    They are getting ready to do some major work with The port royal fish house. They are going to dredge out to the channel extend the ramp and peir and add a 14 slip commercial peir. I like the shop but have issues with the launch. There just isn't enough water to get out to the channel with out the risk of tearing up your prop.

11. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I wish the ramp was better at the 301 bridge(Port Royal). It is to steep for me to feel comfortable launching like I normally would. Do you guys usually go down or up river from Hicks? Are you fishing in the $5 hole?

12. Rapp-Catter-06

State:
    Virginia
    From hicks there are good holes in either direction. if you want to try further down from hicks there is a free ramp at wilmont in king george. There is some pretty good fishing there and it's not far from the ramp. I usually launch from Hicks and most of the time go down river. The deep holes below hicks hold some decent fish this time of year. The five dollar hole area is good but it's a bit over fished this time of year. If you go down river you will most likely be all alone. Fishing out of wilmont has always treated me well lots of 30's and 40's down there. I may be sneaking out there tomorrow night.

13. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I agree with you about the 5 dollar hole. How far past the 301 bridge is Wilmont? I am not familiar with the name. Do you ever fish the Mattaponi?

14. Rapp-Catter-06

State:
    Virginia
    Wilmont is 9 miles down river of the 301 bridge. Its a decent ramp plenty of water there. On a really low tide it's a bit shallow around the dock but it's still accessable. I have a 19' center console and have never had any trouble with it. There are a few spots in the bend just below the ramp where the bank has slid into the river bringing with it trees and parts of the old road leading to the ramp the "land slides" hold some good fish. It's horse head point on the map. I have fished the mattaponi up to the indian reservation we caught plenty of fish up to 30 pounds. If launching from west point I would suggest going around the point and under the bridge into the pumunkey. Just as many fish there only bigger.

15. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the info. When I put in on the Mattaponi it is usually in Walkerton. I have had good results there. I don't think it gets fished very hard. I just sold my aluminum Basstracker and will take delivery in a couple of weeks on my new boat (Carolina Skiff 1780DLX). Until then I will be on dry land. Where do you live Rapp-Catter?

16. Rapp-Catter-06

State:
    Virginia
    I live in Fredericksburg. Good luck with the new boat. Other than the birth of my children I can't think of many joys greater in my life than the day I pulled my new boat home.My boat isn't so new anymore!! A good cleaning is in order.

17. crricha13

crricha13 New Member

State:
    Danville, VA
    where r yall talking about fishing now?

18. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Rapp-catter, I live in the Burg also. The anticipation is killing me. I guess the wait will make it better when I do get it.

19. Rapp-Catter-06

State:
    Virginia
    I fished it last saturday night the water was 87.6. Caught four fish between 10 and 20 pounds but nothing to brag on. Plenty of white perch in the river I caught about a dozen in the cast net and used them for bait. There must have been a tournament out of port royal because there were a lot of boats out there. I may try some salt water soon.

20. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Okay, admitting my ignorance and great curiosity...

What is the $5 dollar hole? :embarassed: