Anybody fish...?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by ironorr, Oct 2, 2006.

1. ironorr

ironorr New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Hey guys, I have been curious about two lakes in my area and I was wondering if any of you have ever tried them. Morrow Pond in Kalamazoo County I have heard has some nice size channel cats. Also, Sand Lake in St. Joseph County is supposed to have some decent sized flatheads but lack in quantity. I'm probably going to check them out, but has anybody tried these waters out and had any luck?

2. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    ironrr,

Welcome to the BOC and thanks for posting a question to us michigan folks. I personally have not been to that area but here on the BOC, there is near-legendary talk of the flatheads of St Joseph county, Barrien, and Cass. We're probably going to target that area next summer.

You're in one of the healthiest flathead populations in the state, if not THE ONE with the St Joe river so close by.

Trust me, if you stay with us on the BOC, we will have many many questions for you in the near future. As for now, the flathead and channel fall feed is ON. Go after em near deep spots in the rivers and near crags where there are deep spots near and use live bait- eventually you will get the size and quantity you're after.

Once again, Welcome and please stay- There are michigan men who dream of fishing the locations you are near. Perhaps you may be able to asist us as a scout or guide when time draws closer for the BOC to locally gather in your area. When that happens then you will meet the amazing group of michigan folks who make up this crowd. Ya always eat well, you often learn a lot, and even better, we're all out to get some big big fish and share their pics with the rest of the USA.

Sal

3. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Georg-

A lake with just a few big flatheads is a low percentage fishing trip, IMHO. They can go where they please, and unless you have a boat and a map of all the underwater structure & debris, you could sit there waiting for a bite for a long time.

I have heard, though, that Sand Lake has good bluegill fishing, probably because the flatheads keep the numbers down.

Do what you want, but if I were you, I'd be hiking the banks of the St Joe River, looking for deep log jams that I could fish into from a reasonably comfortable spot on the shore. Most of the 30+ pound flats on the Master Angler list come from the SJ, (though a lot of them are in the "catch & keep" section).

I'm coming down next May to spend a weekend there, keep in touch and we'll find us a good spot!

Tony

4. ironorr

ironorr New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Sounds like solid advice guys, thank you! It looks like I'll be getting acquainted with the St. Joe. Thanks for the great welcome!:big_smile: