anybody fish Rocky river?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by gamaCatsu, Jan 5, 2010.

1. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    jw, if any of you local guys fish this river?

Rocky River begins in Iredell County near Mooresville, North Carolina. It flows south from there into Cabarrus County, where it is the principal waterway in my county. The river continues southeastward to form the line between Stanly County, North Carolina, Union County, North Carolina, and Anson County, North Carolina. It empties into the Great Pee Dee River just below Norwood, North Carolina at the junction of Stanly County, Montgomery County

just wondering if any of you have had luck fishing this river? i go often simply because its rite behind my house, a stone throw away so to speak. ive caught several channels, bullheads, blue catfish. and its full of bream,rock bass. i have never actually tried to target the area for flatheads. ive heard stories from my 80 year old grandfather and his fishing buddies about how this river has BIG fish in it...simply because its not fished often.. has anybody had luck catching them or anything else on this river?

ive attached a picture of a google area photo of the river and the bend i fish alot with the kids. or if im bored and dont feel like driving 45mins to fish.... its really rocky just before the bend and after it, its really calm and smooths out.

deepest point in the bend is 12ft unless it rains alot but usually its 10-12ft.

maybe somebody can point me in the right direction when fishing this river!

Attached Files:

2. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    I travel across Rocky enroute to Badin. I've wondered too about the fish it holds. I've saw several cars parked at the bridge on Albemarle Road. There is a member named DAKATKILLA who has told of decent size flatheads that come out of that river. I may give it a shot depending upon safety of the terrain.

3. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    mason, which bridge are you talking about?? i stay in harrisburg.. and the only bridge i can think of is after hwy 485? i assume u travel 24/27 to hwy 52 to badin then? like i said my grandfather told me stories aswell as his friends...and i duno about gettin a boat on that river... i assume you prob could fit a 10-12ft jon boat thas about it. cause its really rocky and gets shallow in alot of places

4. mintaka

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    The 24/27 bridge outside of Mint Hill before Midland. When I go , I take Albemarle Road straight from Independence to the water tower in Albemarle. At this point , I keep straight on 740. In order to get to the upper lakes , I hit 49 straight out. Regarding 52 , I havent been down there in over 4 years. I did try to find a spot to fish in Harrisburg last year. I rode through a neighborhood in '08 off of 49 to the left before a used car lot. I saw a couple of ponds , but no way to acess the river.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  5. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    k gotcha.. i take 49.. straight to richfield.. next time your at badin let me know it would be good to have a new fishing buddy!

6. mintaka

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Will do. It'll be a while due to my car failing on my last trip to Norman.

7. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    i haven't been to norman in awhile.. i have a few spots baited up @ badin.

8. mintaka

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Did you throw rotten meat or cans of dog food into the water? That's what I should have did the last time I went to Uwharrie at that pier.

9. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    you can , but i make my own bait, i use corn,ground shad,yeast,and sugar ina bucket thats been sittin for about 3 weeks! and i also bait carp with soy bean, millet