Anybody fish flathead catfish on the Rock River?

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by BigCatDreaming, Feb 4, 2007.

1. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I saw a segment on youtube.com for flathead fishing on the rock river, and was curious if anybody knew any good spots or has a better knowledge than i do of the rock. I live very close to it, but do to the lack of a boat i havent really been able to get out and explore. Now i have a boat :smile2:

2. Arteest

Arteest New Member

State:
    Illinois by way of Virginia
    Hey man, i tried a few times last year with little success. i am without a boat so i just do the shore fishing thing. i've caught a few flats on the k3 but thats about it. this is the year, though, and i've heard tales of large prehistoric flats on the rock river...mostly folk tales, but all the more reason to give it a try.

3. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    alright thanks man. haha nice picture

4. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I haven't boated any of those rock river brutes, but they're in there for sure. I've fished some in the Dixon area, and a few other spots.

It's a big river, and you pretty much need a boat unless you're fishing one of the dams like Oregon, Rock Falls, or Sterling. The guys do better for flatheads starting below Oregon down towards the Mississippi.

The river bottom is lot of bedrock (hence the Rock river), so be careful if you're boating the first time. The pool below Dixon dam has more deep water, and is easier to boat than some of the other pools. Watch for the mid-stream boulder just below the bridge in downtown Dixon, and the shallow area between the islands downstream from Page park launch.

If you have a depthfinder, it helps especially if you're running very far up and down river.

Shawn

5. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I havent had much luck with the bigguns there either.Your best bet is to try the lower dam in Sterling.The locals keep telling me that the Flats hang out under the steel walkways.Heres the video...http://youtube.com/watch?v=5F24O15ur2I

The only thing is,if spiders freak you out...the walkways wouldnt be a great place to fish.

6. LanceRomance

LanceRomance New Member

State:
    IL
    Ditto, I'm interested too!

7. McQ

McQ New Member

State:
    Galesburg, Illi
    I'm sure they are there to some degree. We used to fish it religiously around the Colona area. Caught a bunch of 10 lb'ers or so and a couple bigger than that. I think the largest was a little over 20. In the colona area in my opinion the bankpolers have taken a lot of the fish out of the river, that aren't being replaced.

I saw a stringer a while back with three flats over 40 and two more stringers so heavy with fish that hillbilly bob could only get the first fish or two on the stringer up to the surface. And that was one night. They had a plywood and 2x4 fish cleaning station they made and they werekeeping 100%. They said they only had 6 coolers to put fillets in so someone had to make a trip back each day to their freezers at home.

I think I still might have some directions to a good place up north around Erie where "Denny Halgren" fishes or used to and there used to be video out there of him pulling some 20 or 30 lber's out.

We went up there once and I liked the river cause it was a litttle more dangerous than down here. That keeps more people out when it is a little tricky. I think that's why we have found a home with the Mississippi, cause more people seem to stay away from it.

If you want directions to that spot email me and I'll try to find it! Email me direct at mccue@grics.net

Good Luck.

Jeff

8. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    There's a Fishing Hot Spots map of the upper Rock river in IL, it gives a good idea of what's there.

I haven't tried here, but the power plan discharge near Byron would be a good place to try for channels and maybe early flats. There's a campground with a boat launch about 5 miles north of Oregon; I'm not sure how early in the season the launch is open. It's not too far upstream to get to the hot ditch.

Above Oregon dam is supposed to be good in summer.

Shawn

9. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    You may want to try the pool on the west side of the Oregon dam also...heard they have their share of big flats.But i know for sure,channels and wallys are there.

10. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    When the Fox is so low you can't get your ankles wet, I head over to the Rock.

I've had solid success w/ the channels and have grabbed a few flats here and there. I have a boat and put it by Castle Rock State Park. There's a State launch on Rte. 2.

The guy who makes G&S dip bait is on the Rock all the time. Almost every time I head out that way, I see him. And every time I see him he has 20+ 2-4 lbers. in his cooler.

Most of what I've caught is in that 1-3 lb. range. The flats I've found were under big, ugly, nasty, OLD, deadfall.