Anybody familiar with these?

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by wylie catter, Jan 28, 2009.

1. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm seriously considering buying a small disk harrow for my lawn mower. Northern Tool has some nice ones made by Swisher, and King Kutter. These are the kind you can pull behind a 4 wheeler or a big lawn mower. I've got the big lawn mower already. I have a john deere 425 that's pretty stought and heavy. But I don't know how well the whole deal would work. Traction would be important. I might have to buy some lug tires for the back. And maybe fill them with water. Or add wheel weights. It has a posi petal so that helps. And the disks I meantioned look like their pretty high quality but I don't know if they'd do what I want them to do. If it could do as good a job as tilling by hand then It would be worth it to me. One cost $500 and one cost $669 so if I buy it and I don't like it or can't use it well, then I really screwed myself.

My gardens a little over 2000 square feet. That's a lot to till if I could just ride around it instead.

I could buy a tiller for the jd but it cost a fortune, pto kit, 3 point hitch kit not to mention the tiller it's self. Probably talking in the neighborhood of $2000 bucks. I ain't doin that.

If any of yall have one of these or are familiar with them then let me know how they work for ya. Thanks.

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Yup, I used to own one. You will have a couple of issues.

First, you can not pick it up like you can with a dish behind a tractor. This means you either have to make a big circle, or you have to try toback up and turn. The backiing up is nearly impossible.

Second, since there is no hydraulics involved to push the dish down you are at the mercy of how soft your soil is as to how well it bites. New ground will be tough.

I bought mine to use on food plots and ended up selling it after one season. They are a compromise at best, and you would be better off paying someone with a tractor $75 to come out and dish everything up for you.

Personally, I would not advise someone to buy one again.

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Personally, if I couldn't use the tiller, I'd give up gardening. It's well more then half the fun.

Even if they did go an name that one disc you mentioned, after me!:wink:

4. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yeah I would use it for food plots too. Last fall I was tilling a food plot and a rock about 10" in diameter turned a 750 dollar tiller into a 75 dollar tiller when it destroyed the transmission.

That was an expensive lesson.

WylieCat what did you pull yours with? A 4 wheeler?

5. rythymroach

rythymroach New Member

State:
    United States

My thought's exactly no wonder primitive man was hunters lol, it was easier to chase a wild beast for days than turn that dirt over lol.

aint yall ever heard of no till? lol :eek:oooh:

6. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Does that JD have a 3 point and hydralics. My Ingersoll does and I have a 42" tiller behind it. The way to go,,, get a beer and a cozy,,, and have at it. Just sit and till.

7. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    It has a hydralic system with power steering and power lift 60" deck and the extra hookups for attachments. But no 3 point hitch or pto. Those are expensive options from jd.

I have 2 small tillers but they aint quite gettin it. I might go with a troy built, possible a horse. So far I aint heard nothing possitive about the disk idea.

8. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I think they would be to light to do much good. I have a small disk like those I used to use for cutivating between melons and pumpkins. Now last year I just used that big tiller.

I think that 3 point and hydralic outlets are high priced on any unit from the dealer. My tiller is hydraulic.

I know they sell 3 points on Ebay for Ingersoll/Case's,, if you look you might find what you need to upgrade your tractor there,, or a tiller that will fit it.

I have bought 3 small Honda tillers off ebay,, they have about anything a person needs,, including used Troybuilt's.

9. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I've bought a lot of stuff off craigslist but I will start checking out ebay more. That's a nice setup you have.

10. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    you could always just rent one.. heck of a lot cheaper than buying/maintaining one etc...

11. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana

Yup,,, thats a good thought too. A lot of rental places have big tillers,, heck by me they even have bobcats now for rent.

And they have awsome stump grinders, I rented a 4 cylinder model that was self propelled a few years ago. It was awsome,,, it ate big oak stumps like they were nothing. We had to remove about 20 before we put in a new building.

12. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Changing subjects here a little. I bought a Merry Tiller the other day for $50. It's a Suburban model and it was made in 1966. It has a 3hp briggs on it. It didn't run when I bought it but it came with 2 sets of tines and a little furrower/plow. I figured I could get my money back if I didn't like it. So I had to put an electronic ignition on it and clean the carb and replace one gasket in the carb to get it running good. That little thing runs perfect now.

It's the first midtine tiller I've owned and I really like it. You flip the wheels up and use the drag bar thing to hold it still while it digs. That little tiller will dig over a foot deep without much trouble at all in my garden. I went right through the hard pan made by my reartine tiller. The reartine would only go 6 or 7" deep.

The Merry has ( slasher tines ) instead of bolo tines. I think that helps. It also has a set of aireator tines for pulling the little plow. It's simple and heavy duty. The new ones look basicly identicle, and they're over $1000.
    If anybody's thinking about buying one of these I'd recomend it. I read great reviews about them on gardenweb that pushed me to buy this one. It's an impressive little tiller.

13. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You need to post a picture of it. Then I will know what to look for. a couple years ago I bought an older Honda tiller,, it has mid tines and a real small motor. It does a great job cultivating,

14. LureheadEd

LureheadEd New Member

State:
    Geogia
    I've been using the King Kutter for 3 years on the food plots , I can disk and plant and drag about 2 acres in about 4 hours...I do it 2 or 3 times a year, the ground is nice and soft there now...Had to buy it when I had a new septic system put in those guys destroyed most of my yard, worked great for running around bigger areas...So I brought it home to do the garden this year (haven't had one for 7 years) and it tore up the ground really well, just not as deep as I'd liked... And yes the turning radius thing is a pain, there's a lot of the yard turned over that's not "the garden"...I love it for food plots, we'll see how the garden works out..