Anybody ever used crawfish for bait in Santee?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catfishinsc, Jun 15, 2009.

1. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Just wondering if anybody ever used crawfish for bait in Santee. I've got some pretty big ones I was thinking about taking down there, but I didn't know if it would be worth keeping them until I get to go down there. They usually work well in Broad River, but I've just never taken any to Santee with me.

2. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Tom, i have never used them, simply because i didn't have any and they are not that easy to catch. :big_smile: But i do know that certain times of the yr i have caught catfish on Lake Marion and they would be full of the critters. So full that they really didn't want my favorite bait. I think crawfish would be an excellant bait for Santee. If you don't want them give them to me:smile2:

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I tried a few times but didn't catch what I was after so I haven't used them in years. What area of Broad River are you using them in?

4. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    RiverratSC -

I have access to a private ramp near Harbison Forest. We fish from the Islands that are a couple miles up river all the way down to I-20. We did really well with crawfish over Memorial Day weekend, but last week they wanted worms and cut bait more. A lot of fish we catch down there are full of crawfish, and I think most of the regulars at that ramp use crawfish for bait.

gotta go -

I don't think I've ever noticed fish I've caught in Santee having crawfish in them, but that's good to know. The one thing I notice a lot is they are full of quarter sized mussel shells.

Crawfish aren't hard to catch if you have a creek. Pretty much any creek that has a constant supply of water will have crawfish. I can catch a good many with my hands or a minnow net. I've also figured out a good way to trap them and I've gotten a lot of them that way this year. You can probably trap them in the lake also, or go out in the shallows at night with a flashlight and find them and net them.

I'm not sure when I'll get down to Santee, but I think I'm gonna try some down there when I do get to go.

5. Cgoyette

Cgoyette New Member

State:
    South Caro
    In the shallows on sand they work great....but you also catch BASS and Bowfin (Mudfish)....bass are fun but the mudfish are a pain.

6. FishN4Fun

FishN4Fun New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Crawfish make pretty good bait on Lake Marion. The best way I found to catch 'em is make a rectangular basket of 1/4" wire mesh or so and leave a section cut out of the top or sides about 2" x2". Put you a slightly mutilated bream or bullfrog in there and cast it into your favorite farm pond, shallow creek flat, or anywhere else that holds crawfish. Pull it out after an hour or so. If there were crawfish in the area, they'll be in the basket.

7. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    FishN4Fun -

Thanks for that reply. I have several minnow traps that I use that are the $8 ones from WalMart. I make bait holders that I use to suspend the bait in them. After a small bit of experimenting I caught a lot more with dog food for bait in the bait holders than I did using cut bream for bait, and about 5 times a many as just pouring the dog food in the trap. I have a couple of good creeks by some family land where I catch them. I put a lot of them in our pond several years ago but there doesn't seem to be any in there now since I can't catch any in the traps.

8. FishN4Fun

FishN4Fun New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yea, it definitely helps to experiment with bait. You never know what might work best. My brother recently discovered while catchin mud minnows at the coast, that good ole merita white bread works great. Unfortunately it swells em up and kills em. Learning experience.