Anybody ever use a bull dozer to level dirt piles?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catfish_Commando, May 7, 2009.

1. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Going to have about 20 loads of dirt delivered soon, and I have a D450 dozer sitting on the property that I am going to use to push the dirt around and level it.

Is it as easy as setting the blade height and angle and driving forward leveling the piles over a distance?

I have got pretty good on a backhoe and skid-steer, but this will be my first bulldozer run.

If anybody seen the infamous 1960 Tractor tree pulling wheelie video, you know how 1st encounters of machines and me get along.

2. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Knock the piles down, spread it around, then put dozer in reverse and back drag with the blade. A box blade on the back of that old tractor would be easier to level with.

3. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Griz is right on in my experiance.

Spread the piles out as they come. Dont wait for them all to get there then spread them. Plus it give you a idea of where you need the dirt when its dumped.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    It takes a while to get that seat of the pants feel on running one. But its not that bad. Shoot I did the same thing with my Yanmar B27 Excavator and its blade is not as big as the one on the dozer. But like Grizz back blade it may be better on you to level with .
    Pete

5. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    be sure and video tape this escapade boss lol

6. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    however u move the dirt , the dump site for each pile will be compacted .... iffn u ain't careful , that dump site, for each pile, will be a HIGH when all is said and done .... the whole time u are spreading , keep in mind the fall u want for drainage.... the boxblade will make that part easier once u get the piles spread out all over .....................to fill in all the "potholes" and low places where u screwed up and let the dozer or 3pt hitch dig too deep , get a long pipe , steel , and drag it behind the little tractor ................. lol

7. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    want me and eric to come do it for ya??:wink: these guys got you going in the right direction...

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Chief,If you can "OPERATE" not run a backhoe,skidloader,A dozer will be a cinch, I can help ya out ,but it'll cost ya a round trip ticket :wink: I'm an old hand at equipment operating.:cool2:

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Get yourself a bunch of illegal aliens, a couple of real fat women and a case of corona. That should get it done. LOL! :wink:

10. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Now thats funny!!!

11. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    No wiggle in that frame Boss. Think you are going to the moon the first couple times you push and get the front end up.

Crank her up and enjoy it. If you got no neighbors to run over or cliffs to fall off who cares. You can smooth and back drag and push and you aren't running on a clock. HE$$, tell those double tandem boys to just stay out your way when making a dump.

Tell BG he needs to get a Mexican conductor and forget real work like you gonna do.

12. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    :big_smile_2:Yeah I gotta see this yer gettin input from buch crazy catters...(LOL) I gotta see ya in action bet its gonna be good(LOL)

13. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Sorry boss. Can't help ya with THIS question :confused2:.

Gees, I never even had a Tonka :sad2:. Maybe I oughta go look for a vintage toy on Ebay :wink:.

14. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    make sure your Ins and home owners is up to date.hmmm? you may want to add your adopted son smokey on them
    smokey

15. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I dont have a dozer, but I have a front end loader on my tractor and a box blade. I have drove dozers and big cat loaders, leveling to me is easier with a loader, because you can back drag with the bucket, and move the dirt around easier. when they start dumping, dont have them pile it all in one spot, have them spread as much as they can in the areas that need it. (had 3 loads of gravel on my drive, and all I had to do was box blade it).

16. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    450 dozer is a might bigger than mine, but like was said above, spread it out then back drag it. seems to work on my drive. This short dozer of mine leaves washboards goin forward no matter what level i set the blade. Just take your time Paul, it aint that bad. It takes me most of a day to do my 1/4 mile drive but its near up and down with switch backs. Dont forget to pack it in.

17. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    You can do it Paul, take from the high side and put on the low side!

18. Trapper-steve

Trapper-steve New Member

State:
    Bicknell, IN
    Like Gary said just ask the drivers to tailgate it the best they can it will make it a lot easier for you.
    If they wont try to spread it have them dump smaller piles about six feet apart.

19. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Which ever way you do it PLEASE get lots of VIDEO!

20. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Heck with all the technical advice your getting here you might want to try building your own catfish lake.:smile2: