Anybody Ever Snapped a 9' or any Night-Stick Rod like a Twig?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by catfishjohn, Apr 25, 2008.

1. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Unfortunately yesterday I broke my all time Favorite(last 8 years-her age) 9' casting Nite-Stick,,, "Lucy"....LOL!!!
    The story was a little funny and very Sad and Extremely painful!!!!!
    The link below shows the stories of the whole day, catches and PAINFUL disasters.
    Anyway other than it being almost 8 years old I was wondering if anybody else has busted a 2-piece Nite-Stick or had any problems?
    I had been using it Heavy forever and caught LOTS of fish from a pound to 33.5 pounds with untold how many I had hooked that were much bigger but had a hook, line, snagged up or other non-related Rod issue and lost the fish. That happens though.:confused2::angry::smile2:
    Anyone Please share your Stories, Catches or Disasters in this thread. I fessed up and gave play by play.....No pics though, only 1 of the 3, a Channel & 2 Flatties.
    I'll post it later.
    Thanks In Advance,:wink::big_smile:

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79096

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have busted a couple of two piece surf rods over the years on hooksets. They both broke right where the two join, probably the most likely spot to. It's all part of the sport. I have had so many eyelets replaced I can't count. I know how it feels to lose your long time buddy by breaking him in two! I have names for most of my outfits also, such as the 10 twins..., shorty, and the liver lunger! my friend named one of his garcia's which is a blue model... the blueberry basher! LOL.. I would be heart broken too John. I hope I don't lose any of mine over the years. Goodluck with the replacement, and I hope your pole can rest in peace...God Bless...rollo:roll_eyes:

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Dam Rollo, don't get me crying.....:roll_eyes::sad2::wink::smile2:

Thanks for the post and comments Bro, I appreciate it!!!:wink::big_smile:

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I've broken a couple of 2 piecers John. Still have a couple. Slowly switching over to the 1 piece. Little harder to transport if bank fishing but no problem if I'm in the boat.

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey John sorry to hear about you busting your pole, sounds like you had some good memmories with the rod and caught some nice fish, I had one break on me last year, I was fishing and my cousin wasnt paying attention what he was doing and stepped on it, it was one of my best cat poles but I guess they dont last forever, sorry to hear about your loss.

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i broke a couple night sticks. cant remember how i broke the spinning. the 7' casting broke on dumb luck. i was fishing from bank in winter at a discharge. i was getting a hit and went to lift rod it snagged up. it happened so quick the last eye before tip gave out and the rod snapped at the eye. i later took off the eye and put a new tip on it. lil shorter but now i use it for strickly flats.

7. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Austin;
    John, I've had that happen to me exactly two times. Once, while NOT paying any attention I slammed the car door on a beloved rod!:sad2: T'was my fault for NOT looking first and being in too daggone big of a hurry. But it was a $15.00 Kmart rod.
    The other, {back in my YOUNG drinking days, have not had a drop in over 22+ years as I found out I am allergic to alcohol!!}
    When my "slightly" drunken and "High" buddy fell out of the boat and in the process grabbed MY rod and of course, it broke too. Thankfully it was one of those heavy fiberglass cheap rods from back in the early "60's".
    I have a couple of nice rods now, including a custom one, along with a couple Shakespeare Big Water Ugly Stiks, that I use for my serious "Blue" Fishing and if one of those broke, depending on the circumstances, I think I would shed a tear or two!
    I sure am SORRY to hear of your misfortune!:sad2: I can certainly empathize with you!:sad2::sad2:
    I hope you get a repair or replacement that is at least just as good as the one you broke and hopefully you will never have to face the pain of breaking a rod again! :big_smile:
    Just a thought, both rods were two piece but I have never had one break at the joint of the two pieces! Not saying it will never happen to me, but in over 50 years of using 2-pc rods I've not had it happen to me at the joint that connects the pieces.
    Hope this helps.
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

8. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I've never broke a Nite Stick (never owned one either, LOL), but I had a time years ago on a trip to Florida that I broke 5 rods in one week. And did it in every fashion you could dream of. One in a car door, one that got snagged on the bottom, broke one while reeling in another rod that I'd snagged (no, it wasn't a good trade off), etc. I honestly think that if you'd given me a telephone pole with a reel and guides on it, I would have broken it somehow.

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    The pain of breaking the rod was really hard to take. Actually when it broke I flew backwards and landed flat on big, rough, and hard river rocks on my low back, left butt, left leg and left shoulder. I have scrapes and bruises and a ton of soreness from it!!!!!:sad2:

Also when I fell back I knocked my 6 week old razr cell onto the rocks and gouged the bottom front pretty bad.:sad2:

It was a rough morning for sure!!!!!:angry::confused2::sad2::embarassed::eek:oooh:

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have snapped some rods, but not a 9 footer yet.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have never broken a rod...But I use circle hooks so no bone jarring hooksets.

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'm feeling better now. Today at the get-together I won the 8' Nite-Stick and Regina won the 9' Nite-Stick. Both are spinning though. She also won a Master 170 reel with a power handle and more.:wink::big_smile:

13. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Well at least you dont have to worry about the phone now :wink::smile2:

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Most or nearly all of the broken rods I have found at low water had the line wrapped or looped around the tip or one of the guides.This tells me something.If you bend the rod unnaturally in too short of a arc or curve you break it.Also I was told that you start damaging fibers in a rod each time you go over 45 degrees in some rods and most all at 90 degrees.Each injury adds up as it does not heal!Surprisingly that that they last as they do.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

15. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thanks for the info Pee-Wee! I appreciate it! I hope you're having a good day and as always you are in my Thoughts and Prayers!!!:wink:

16. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    John dont you have enough reels lol. :smile2:

17. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

No CJ, I don't. I just won between Me and Regina: 2 9' Nite-Sticks and 1 reel and other stuff at our Get-Together last Saturday. Never can have too many. I need more reels now, preferably an Abu 7000.........:wink::smile2:

Its like women's shoes(for women), can't never have enough!!!!!:crazy::wink::smile2:

18. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Dont feel bad, thats the reason I order the Abu C106 spinning reel.

19. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Sorry about your pole, I have a couple I have had for about 15 years. I do not fish with them anymore but I would be heartbroken if one of them got broke.

In 8-12 months when that Razr starts shutting off on its own, the battery will only hold a charge for 2 hours, drops every other call, requires you to stand on your head with aluminum foil wrapped around one leg to get a signal and decides on its own when you need to receive text messages, you will wish it had broke in half.:smile2: