Anybody ever redone the handles on an ugly stick tiger rod?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by smhmc6, Jul 8, 2009.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I love my tiger rods, I've got 3 of them now. I've never been a fan of how fat the handles are though. I'm going to redo the grips with a chord wrap, got the idea from some recent posts. I think I'm going to have to take the old butt cap off and replace them with something different. Anybody ever done this before? What size inner diameter butt caps will I have to order? I know that I'll probably find out once I remove the old one and measure, but I'd rather go ahead and order the butt caps online and have them ready to do the whole project at once. I'm pretty anxious to start this project. If i have to stop after I remove the EVA foam to measure and wait for shipping on the new caps I'll go crazy:smile2:.

2. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Try to remove 1 cap using a screwdriver blade to get under it, then you can measure the butt end, order your caps a tad small so it will fit tight....hope this helps out.

3. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks I'll try that. I assume that its glued on just like the foam right? Also, on those tiger rods it almost looks like the the foam goes up under the cap. The foam stops at the butt cap right? Thanks again for the help, and the idea of wrapping the handle with 4mm cord. I think its going to look awesome, and I hope it thins that handle down some.

4. tulsa_adams

tulsa_adams New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thats a good plan I think I'll try that on my Tigers

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I hope you get an answer to this question. As I have one that I would like to do the same thing to. This one the reel seat and handle turns on the blank anyway. So it should be easy to replace. I also plan on upgrading the Reel Seat on mine. Would also like to upgrade the eyes. Like the blank though.
    Pete

6. Chicago

Chicago New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I just removed the end cap and foam from my Tiger. The foam extends to the end of the rod, and the end cap goes over it. I'm gonna pm cherokee to find out how to get the foam glue off the rod.

7. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Post some pics when you get done...I just might have to do that to my Tigers, too!

8. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I decided to try wrapping the handle on another old back up rod before I did it on my nice tiger rods. I didn't have to replace the butt cap on this one. Its a little tougher to do than what I thought. Actually it was pretty easy except pulling the tag end back under the wrap. The cord I bought was 3/8" though and I'm thinking it was probably too thick to work with. Is thinner cord easier? I tried several different stores to find thinner stuff in other colors. Walmart and lowes had some but it was all white and I didn't want white. I couldn't find anything but yarn at Hobby Lobby. Anyway, here's pictures of the practice run. Looks okay, definitely not professional though. Its kind of hard to get it to flush up to the butt cap and reel seat... maybe there's just a trick that I haven't figured out yet.

Attached Files:

9. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Looks pretty cool though!

10. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    i think it would be easier on a new rod- never built. you could actually tuck the cord into the butt cap and start wrapping. but yeah 3/8 is too big you need 3/16 or 1/4

11. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I think when I'm doing it for my tiger rods, I'm giong to try and slip the new butt cap on without epoxy. Except I'm going to intentionally not put it on all the way (maybe back it off 1/4" or so). Then I'll do my wrap, and when I'm finished I'll pull the butt cap off, put some epoxy on it and shove it on there all the way. That way it pushes up against the knot and also looks more flush than my practice run. I will for sure be using 3/16 next time... I don't know what I was thinking with the 3/8":smile2:, haha. That stuff was hard to work with. I don't like the poly cord either, every time you cut it it frays all over the place. I'm giong to try and get my hands on some braided nylon. I don't really know where to look for it other than online for an assortment of colors. Actually all I want is black, nothing special, but I've only seen it in white in stores around here.

Oh, BTW for whatever its worth I took the grips off one of my tiger rods last night and measured the blank diameter at pretty much exactly 3/4"

12. Chicago

Chicago New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I held a tape measure up to the para cord on my catfishsafari rod and it is only 1/8 in thick. And the rod itself is only 3/4 in . . . for a total of 1 in thickness overall. When I do my Tiger, I'm going no thicker than 3/16 in for the cord.

I just need to find a new end cap. The end cap that I removed from the Tiger slid over the foam, which was super thick. Anyone know a place online that sell nice end caps?

13. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
  14. Chicago

Chicago New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Those are nice, thanks. I found cheap paracord on ebay. There was a variety package available. It comes with 50ft paracord in 36 different colors for about $5. I hope it doesn't take more than 50ft to do my Tiger grips

15. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    i measured mine and it looked a bit over 1/8 but not hardly 3/16!! so i would say its 3/16 but where its pulled tight it narrows it down a little!

16. Chicago

Chicago New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Did you tie knots at the ends of your cord? Or just bury it under the wraps without knots on the ends? And what did you use to pull the ends through? Do you think I can just use strong braided line?

17. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Guy's Go to Wal-Mart in the hardware section and look for the black "crutch caps" usually in a box of 2 to 3 these work great!

18. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Here you go. All the answers are on the boards here on the BOC.
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115791
    Pete

19. Chicago

Chicago New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks Shiloh,

This entire thread is just a spill-over from Cherokee's thread. I saw that Titan tried the cord for the first time and was just wondering if he followed the tutorial exactly, or if used end knots, etc. I'm dying to get my Tiger hooked up.

20. Chicago

Chicago New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Might have to check out those Walmart butt caps. Thanks Cherokee