Anybody Ever Heard This?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by hct236, May 7, 2009.

1. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    I was reading somewhere that when using dough type baits to put some pulverized alka-seltzer on it. Supposidly, the fizzing of the alka-seltzer when it hits the water will attract fish. Sounds reasonable, but just curious about your thoughts.

2. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    That's a new one on me. Maybe someone here can enlighten us.

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thats a new one on me bro!:wink:

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Hey hct236 giver a try and let us know how it works,id be interested in finding out the results myself.

5. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Howard welcome to the BOC ... LOL ...Never heard of it and won't try it... But i know the ol seltezr work's on a catfish hang over lol.

6. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm thinking all that fizzing and bubbling would scare them off. But you never know until you try.

7. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I wonder if there is another type of angler anywhere in the world that has so many special concoctions for bait! I dont think that anyone can touch us catfishers when it comes to that! There's always a new recipe to try. Let us know if it works! Good luck!

8. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Howard welcome to the BOC

9. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    It might work if they have been on a feeding binge. :wink:Let us know how it works.

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Howard.

11. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i could see where the alka-seltzer would help break up the dough bait and help to disperse the scent

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Don't any of you remember the fishing lure or the toy submarine you got in a box of cereal? You put baking soda in them so they sputtered along on their own. The sub was just for fun, but the lure was supposed to work. lol These ideas have been around a long time. Ive caught channels on just about every goofy idea out there and they all work at least one time. Fish are dumb, but then there are some really stupid ones, don't let these few influence your bait agenda! lol :crazy::eek:oooh::smile2::smile2::smile2:

13. tat_n_trapper

tat_n_trapper New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    I think the noise made by the alka-seltzer would attract fish especially predatory fish.

14. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    They actually make a dough type bait that does that..I don't remember what it was called but I've seen an infomercial on it a time or 2...

15. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Howard, welcome to the BOC from Texas. Thanks for the interesting idea.

16. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    back when i was a hard core bass fishermen, i tryed crushing them up and packing tube baits hard with them, packing them hard slowed down how fast they wore out, and it would make that fizz come out onece in a li while, for bass they worked for me atlest, cats i dont know, good thing to try

17. iluvnevaeh

iluvnevaeh New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i've actually tried it before but dont know if i got anymore hits or not, what i did was throw a few out into the river near where i was throwing my bait out. They actually sell something like that thats supposed to attract fish, it does the same thing, it simulates feeding supposedly, its worked for me when i fish for bluegill, but then again bluegill bite anything once u get a school of em passing by. The general idea is to make bubbles and kinda simulate a feeding frenzy and in theory it would draw smaller fish which in turn draws bigger predatory fish. It is something that i have seen other fisherman use and they say it works, but i cant say one way or the other, when i did toss em out i did catch some channel cats.

18. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The only other group close is carp anglers. We have tried just about everything as well.

In fact, I have heard that Alka-Seltzer can in fact aide in catching picky carp, due to the subtle motion it can generate. Something to do with the latteral line in fish, carp specifically and electrolysis and chemical detection. I do not know though, but I may need to check it out.

I think the trick sometimes is not what catches catfish, but what will they not eat. I was targeting grass carp with tomatoes and I started catching channels too frequently.

So what do catfish not hit is the question.

19. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    It might help them with an upset stomach after eating a bad piece of bait!!!!!!!!! lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smile2: Welcome to the BOC brother!!!!!!!

20. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    only one way to find out, give it a try & let us know what happened