Anybody ever had this happen?

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by chrisblue, Jan 7, 2007.

1. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I notice my depth finder has a real week bottom signal in 10 to 15 foot of water and the deeper I went the weeker it got and by 30 foot it couldnt read the bottom at all.It got worst as the day went on and now it cant hardly read the depth. If its my transducer it want be to much of a problem but if its the unit its gone take weeks maybe even months before I get it back.Have any of you ever had this happen and what caused it?

2. Fishinfreak

Fishinfreak Member

State:
    North Bend,Ohio
    Make sure you are getting plenty of power to the unit.

3. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Sorry to hear about your unit giving you fits. Call Lowrance before you send it back to them and they can help troubleshoot it. I had some erroneous bottom soundings and it turned out to be the transducer. They sent me a new transducer but I had to send the unit and the transducer back to the factory so they could examine it. It didn't seem to take a long time (couple weeks). Be sure to have it insured and delivery confirmation.

4. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Check to make sure all connections are clean (no corrosion) and staying dry during use. Check that the transducer is properly mounted and tight. some time they can ride up if its a transom mounted transducer and may reposition itself during trailering the boat. Check to make sure the transducer cable is in good condition , no breaks in the insulation.

5. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Chris my x-85 done that once but it was all off a sudden. I took it out to port-tronics and they checked it out and it turned out to be my tranducer. All they done was put it in simulator mode and it would show the bottom fine so they said that it wasnt in the unit. could have been a lucky guess for the guy but it worked. 40 to 50 dollars to try is better than being without for a good while.

6. Allen42

Allen42 New Member

State:
    South Carolina /Lake Murray
    just to chime in & agree with what the others are saying,,,, My X70A Lowrance will "act up " when the power cable hooks up to the power scorce, every few months i end up cleaning the contacts

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I would guess it's most likely the transducer, too, Chris. I've never had one go out on me, but I've heard of quite a few that go bad after 1-3 years. You can call Lowrance (quickest way) and ask their opinion, and if it is the transducer, you can have one delivered in 2-3 days from LEI. I bought a single frequency a little while back, don't remember the price exactly, but I think it was around $70-$80. I think Basspro also carries them.
    I have two on my boat, a dual and single frequency, so maybe that extra insurance will help me. :roll_eyes:

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have not seen that happen...YET!!

Mine smaller one is acting up all of a sudden this winter. The initial temperature reading is right, but thne it goes up and up and up until it gets to about 110 degrees and then goes back down to 32 degrees. :crazy:

9. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Well I hope its the transducer because I ordered one.Lowrance said they might last 6 months and they might last 4 years its just luck of the draw.I can say that I've never had it happen before though on other units just the most expensive one I've ever had.lol