Anybody ever fish the GMR north of dayton?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by catman37, Nov 16, 2006.

1. catman37

catman37 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i know a few of you fish the dayton/west carrolton area of the gmr,do any of you have any experience with the river from where it starts to maybe the degraff or quincy area?i live in bellefontaine,so dayton and west carrolton is too far south,plus i dont have a boat.antbody know of places to fish it from the shore,besides indian lake?

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    farthest north i have fished is Taylorsville Dam. a freind of my great-grandfather used to fish somewhere north of piqua years back, used to bring home some big *** channels but dont know if there are any flatties up that far. download "google earth" or go to terraserver.us and look up the area and look for sharp bends in the river that produce your deeper holes.

3. catman37

catman37 New Member

State:
    ohio
    thanks for the info dink,i dont know much about fishing rivers,i usually fish lakes and ponds,but id like to learn more about fishing rivers,i just dont know where to go.

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Gary, Dink is absolutely right, this time of year all winter for that matter, Chanels will be in the deepest holes with just a tad of current in them. Fish em on the bottom with a sliding sinker or a 3 way tight to the bottom, Cut shad or any other baitfish will always catch cats. Im sur eif you think you found a nice spot, me and Dink would certainly keep you company if schedules permit :wink:

Also suggest looking for lots of concrete on sharp bends, that means a deep hole, current and lots of snags so be prepared to retie and loose a lot of rigs.

Salmonid

5. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    For years I fished from Degraff to the low head dam at Quincy when I was a very young man, grandparents and parents had trailers on the river, we fished every weekend but from a boat, ran limb lines for Flatheads and Blues plus fished with R/R, back then the fish were real clean and we only harvested what we could eat on a weekend I know of a lot of people that still fish that area mainly from a boat, I have fished from the shore there at the bridge as you leave Degraff going towards Quincy but it is pounded hard, there are some nice holes in that stretch of river, friend of mine still fishes that area, it was always good fishing a lot of people waterskied that area for about 10 years, that is where I learned to slalom, if you can get somebody with about a 10-12 footer you can navigate most of that river, I wouldn't want to put my 20 footer in there unless I ventured back to Brown's campgrounds where our trailers were located, the water is much deeper in that area for the bigger boats, thanks for jogging some great memories of my family life when I was young..........Doc

6. catman37

catman37 New Member

State:
    ohio
    thanks for the input guys.doc,i know exactly where you're talking about,that bridge as you go out of degraff,i didnt know if anybody fished from there and did any good or not.might give it a try.so you can catch catfish outa the river in the winter?i dont have a boat so i cant go up and down the river lookin for them.hopefully theres a deep hole right near the shore or ill be wasting my time.do they stay in those deep holes during winter or will they travel up and down the river any? i have no idea how to fish rivers,but would like to learn more about it.

7. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Smaller rivers they will migrate to the deeper holes, but on that side of the river it is shallow, down near Quincy it gets deeper, you may want to fish the area just below the lowhead dam there at Quincy, not sure how far it is from the road...........Doc

8. catman37

catman37 New Member

State:
    ohio
    thanks for the tip doc,ill give it a try.