Anybody ever fish belews lake?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by smallieworld, Jun 15, 2008.

1. smallieworld

smallieworld New Member

State:
    nc
    i have bass and crappie fished it before but wondered if anybody knows of a good spot for cats in Belews lake. I live a miles from it and have caught 8lb bass so I figure it has some big cats. The lake is hot in the summer and I have caught bass in january on the top regularly. Someone told me it had some kinda selinium spill and its recovered somewhat. The spill makes the water on one side of the lake steril almost. You can see down 15 ft or so. thought of dropping some dod food a few days before I go out. Should I go shallow or deep? main body or cove channel? Thanks

2. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I havnt seen blues or flatheads come out of Belews I would think it would have the flatheads but the few times I fished it I caught channel cats. I cant remember the name, pine something I think. It had a bridge with narrow pass for boats right in front of the boat ramp. I fished there not going under pass. caught several but all channel cats

3. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Put in at Pine Ridge boat landing. It's best to go late, close to dark or you will hit the MASS of pleasure boaters that use that free ramp. When you leave the ramp turn left and go around the 90 degree turn to the right. You will see the old railroad trestle and the narrow gap for boats. Once thru that the channel opens up to a large pond like oval with private docks all around it. If it is already dark you can net shad in front of the retainer wall to the left especially if the lights are on.
    You can continue up the channel and it will stay from 5 to 6 feet deep for a while. There are private boat dock and backyards all along the channel. The channel will go to only 3 or 4 feet deep for a long ways until you come to another large pond like area that is basically a mud flat. Do not go back there unless you use your trolling or mudmotor, it is shallow.
    I have caught pretty good channel cats from the upper mud flat to the trestle almost any night from dark until morning. Since the selenium kill the fish are coming back but do not expect fish larger than 10 or 12 lbs max. Also DO NOT EAT any fish from this lake. Read up on selenium toxicity and you will see what I mean.
    If you go in cold weather fog is always a factor at Belews Lake. We have been out there when the fog set in and I could not see the front of my 16 foot boat from the rear seat. One night I was right in front of Pine Ridge landing and thought I was lost.

I have never had any luck on cats in the main lake. It would seem the hot water output would be the place to be in winter but alas it is perfect..........just no fish.

:eek:oooh:

4. smallieworld

smallieworld New Member

State:
    nc
    Yeah, I never eat the fish from belews. I move a huge bass out and when I crappie fish I let them go or give them to the mexicans hanging near the bridge at 65 pinebluff landing. I rarely eat the fish I catch unless I go after stripers or to the coast. I would be willing to bet its got some pig catfish in her. the bass are few over 2lb but I have caught an 8 lber this year and last year lost a bass that jumped 3 times that I think would have went 10 at least. I was in shock for a week. So it wouldnt surprise me if the cats get big too.

5. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I used to live near the lake back before the fish kill. There were some nice cats in there back then. If a hog is in Belews now it would have had to survive the kill to be that big unless someone released it there.

The lake was filled in 1973, by 1978 all 20 species of fish had been wiped out by selenium polluted waste water from the coal fired plant there. Duke Energy stopped discharging waste water into the lake in 1986. By 1996 recovery was well on the way for the fish populations but selenium was still present throughout the food chain. Any fish in the lake probably date from 1990 at the earliest. At a pound a year that means an 18 lb fish would a really big one for Belews lake.

6. smallieworld

smallieworld New Member

State:
    nc
    wow, I didnt know it was that bad. I have heard people say that the selinium cannot be completely removed so that is way the main lake side is so clear. I guess it must still have an effect on the fish. All the bass over 5 lbs I have caught in belews were caught on the channels closer to 65.