Anybody else prefer spinning reels?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by JJHACK, Sep 9, 2005.

1. JJHACK

JJHACK New Member

State:
    Wa. State and Elisrass RSA
    I have always been a spinning reel kinda guy. I have no intention of a debate on this just wonder if anyone else fishing for cats feels better with a spinning rod in thier hands then a baitcasting reel?

I cannot explain the reason it's just a feel, maybe the line under the rod seems better? Maybe the lack of attention to make long casts without the worry of a birds nest? I don't know what it is.

With the advent of the live bait feature on some new models I cannot see ever needing a baitcaster now. I have two Shimano reels that have this "baitrunner" drag setting and they are just awsome for catfish. You can hear the clicks and see line spooling off the reel just like a baitcast reel.

Anyhow this was not meant as a debate starting thread, just wonder if anyone else out there has the same character defect I do and prefers to use a spinning reel for their catfishing?

2. zebcohobo202

zebcohobo202 New Member

I prefer spinning reels too JJ. My dad taught me to fish with an old Mitchell spinning rig and nothing feels better in my hands to this day. I think they are more user friendly that baitcasters. I just purchased 4 new baitcasters not long ago because I like having the bait clicker feature. The old spinning reels I have don't have clickers, so it's either use a bell, leave the bail open, or set the drag low enough to hear line leaving the spool. Having a rod yanked in the river ( bell ringing the whole time) caused me to get the bait casters. I can tell you I've spent quite a few hours digging out birdsnests but hey, pracitce makes perfect.

3. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    It depends on the situation for me, in some areas (thick cover) I prefer a baitcaster. This comes into play a lot in small canals here. While in open water and long casting situations I almost exclusively use spin casts. I fish wiht both, but certain setups for certain jobs.

4. JJHACK

JJHACK New Member

State:
    Wa. State and Elisrass RSA
    zebcohobo, with a baitrunner you have a spinning reel with a clicker. Check out the Okuma epixor with live bait feature, or the Shimano Baitrunner series.

With these kinds of reels you close the bail but have asecondary adjustable drag lets line pay out with no effort generating audible clicks the whole time. Just like a baitcasting reel. Then with a turn of the handle it switches off that drag and your back in business with the standard drag.

Just last week I set out the first rod with wicked sticky and set it in the rod holder. selected the baitrunner feature and began setting up the second rod. While doing this I heard a few clicks on rod in the holder. I looked over and saw the rod tip moving just barely and more line was pulled out. The clicks started faster so i picked up the rod from the holder lifted the tip up and close the switch.......................Bam fish on! that live bait feature on the newer spinning reels is so fantastic I have four of them now! 2 Shimano baitrunners or bigger fish and two Okuma Epixors for smaller fish.

5. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Yes, I too am a surf spin catter. :thumbsup: ! I do think the casting reels are better overall. I don't like to fish with one of them thar clicking alarms that tell ya that a Flathead is going to drop the bait :eek: ! I know theres a time and a place but I've yet to see it :confused: ? (OPINION)

"Join in the pursuit"!
    <><Baitkiller><>

6. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Spinning reels for me too. I was thinking about buying a cheap baitcaster for practice but after seeing many birdnest im not too sure. All shimano for me i have one Okuma that the bail has failed dont know if was a defect or what. I have been considering lately a baitrunner but they are so expensive. But baitcasting have theyre place too the generally last alot longer and when wrestling with anything over 30 pounds they are practical.

7. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I also use spinning reels. I have tryed several bait casters and have never been able to do anything but make bird nests. I have caught 50lb fish on spinning reels with no problem.

8. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I have used spinning reels since I learned how to fish. The first reel I ever bought was a Mitchell 300, and I swear it's the best real I have ever used to this day. I love em so much I bought 3 more. I use them for bass as well as channels. I use a heavy surf ugly stick spin rod with a Quantum spinning reel with a baitrunner feature that I just love for flatheads. Caught my biggest fish ever with that rig, a 42 pound flathead. The quantum reels are cheaper than Shimano and I haven't had any problems with it. it's heavy duty also. I do have a few Penn level winds but I only use them for boat rods or pier fishing when casting is not a concern. Dealing with birds nests is not my kind of fun, especially if it cuts into my fishing time.
    :cool:

9. bull_head

bull_head New Member

State:
    Laceyville, PA
    almost all the reels I own are Spinning reels ...
    yes im more comfortable with them than Baitcasters

But it wont stop me from trying something new either
    if given the chance to try ...

10. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    bullhead,
    i own about 3 abus bait casters and a roddy
    as far as daytime fishing i like them pretty good but i aint
    100 percent comfortable casting yet.

so at night i would rather use a spinner for a setup that i will cast around alot
    and use my baitcaster for a tite line setup that i will let sit more.

i have a mitchell and a rhino spinner

my mitchell 300 pulls double duty bass/cats
    same as one of my abu's baitcasters the 4600 hank parker special
    these two are on fast action med heavy poles
    great for rubber baits and slipbobbers

11. dmc888

dmc888 New Member

State:
    Lake in the hills, IL
    All my reels are spinning reels. I had one small baitcaster before and never could cast it far. I fish from shore and have only caught channels. Does the baitrunners work good on channels? I have to set the hook real quick for the Channels or they will steal my bait. Smart channels by me.

12. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    dmc the reel itself can be used for any type of fishing as the bait runner feature is a engageable feature that doesnt have to be on so to speak.
    here's a pic of mine that my little son is reeling in a channel with it
    we got several that day on it and it worked fine.

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use both. but I started off with zebco spincasters, then I move up to spinning reels. now I am using a Abu 6000 baitcaster. but I still using my spinning reels from time to time.

14. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    All of the Fishing Reels that I own, (but one) are Spinning Reels. That's what I learned to fish with, and I been in love with them ever since. :006:

My favorite is my Shakespeare Tidewater Freeliner. 220 yards of 20# pound test , a Freeline System & Powerful.

Take It Easy,
    Bert :cool:

15. dmc888

dmc888 New Member

State:
    Lake in the hills, IL
    Thanks for the help DRC. I guess if it won't work for channels that well i can turn on the clicker for carp or whenever i find where those flatheads are hiding. :)

Shaina is the freeliner feature the same as a bait clicker? Doesn't say anything about clicking. The drag must be nice. I have a couple shakespeare spinning reels that have held up nicely. I have a 10ft Kingkat combo and i want to swap the reel because the drag really sux, not smooth at all.

16. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    hey dmc,

are you referring to the baitsensor as the clicker????
    if so then i wasn't actually referring to the same thing in my response.
    on the reel in the picture i posted the (BAITSENSOR) is actually
    a second or seperate drag that is provided for the live bait fish you are useing to swim around with limited free reign by this drag setup.
    the predator your after in swallowing and running with it will start peeling off line
    letting you know that this aint the little baitfish swimming.
    when this happens you flip the bar at the back of the reel and the reel is
    ready to bring the fight on .
    you should already have the main front drag set before hand .
    hers another pic of the rhino baitsensor.
    by the way it doesn't have a clicker but you can hear line peeling off.
    hope this helps

17. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey dmc888,

DRC couldn't have said it better! :D

That's is what a Freeline System on a Tidewater Reel is!

I just started using it this year - but I don't know why I didn't use this type of Reel sooner.

I Just Love It! :thumbsup:

The Tidewater Freeliner, the Rhino & the Baitrunner are all good spinning Reels for fishing with live bait.

Take It Easy,
    Bert :cool:
    :0a26:

18. dmc888

dmc888 New Member

State:
    Lake in the hills, IL
    Thanks for the help guys. You guys are great. :)

Looks like i will be adding another reel to my collection. :D

19. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    I bought a couple of baitcasters a couple of years ago. I started with some old Penns that had long since seen better days but using them told me I had to have a baitcaster because of the clicker. I ended up with a couple of Abu 6600 D5s which has been a bitter-sweet experience. I like the spinning reels better as far as durability and ease in care and use and now that I've been introduced to the Shimano 4500B spinning reel (thanks to this site) I'll never buy another baitcaster. It has a far superior "clicker" system that is tension adjustable.

20. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    i too use a spinning reel 50 yrs ago i got a baitcaster and it was nothing but trouble . i use a penn 9500 and a daiwa 13 ft rod for river fishing and have nothing good things to say about both.they handle braided line with no problem i use a breakaway cannon to increse the casting distance .