Anybody eat drum?

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by SGTREDNECK, Aug 10, 2009.

1. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Anyone out there eat drum? how do you cook it if you do. I have eaten it twice. The first time i caught one and filleted it and grilled it with spices. It tasted great. The second time i fried it and it was nasty. Anyone have any other ways to eat it. Any recipes?

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I think I'll pass on it. Seen some recipes for it ect but just don't seem to catch my hunger too well lol.

3. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Eat drum all the time, don't really have any special recipes. Just throw the fillets on the grill with some seasoning and maybe a little butter and I've never had it go wrong. I've never tried it fried though. Might try soaking it in soy sauce for a little while before you cook it too.

4. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Look around through all the old threads in this section of the forum. I have
    seen long discussions on drum here and how they cook up. I have pan
    fried them and they tasted alright to me. Sometimes when something tastes
    nasty, it probably came from the time the critter was on the stringer. If
    they get banged around a lot or bleed out they taste funny when you
    get them home. I like to try to fillet them soon after they are caught and
    get them on ice ASAP. A little cooler time then fresh fish for supper!

Oh, look in the cooking section too. Them cajuns have found a bunch of
    tasty ways to bring a freshwater drum to the table. Most any other
    critter you can name as well. Most that you would never think to eat!

5. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Anybody eat drum? Smells like Shad, goes on hook!! Really, I have tried Drum and can say it wasn't bad. People consider it tasting like White Bass, but somewhat mushier tasting. Myself, I will not make a habit of eating them. Sooner use them for cutbait or just throw them back in the water.

6. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Drum is one of those fish that you have to bake or grill..Frying it makes it nasty..Red drum and black drum are the same way..The best way to cook is to fillet leaving the scale and skin on and throw on the grill scales n skin down..Brush on a lil melted butter and sprinkle some Toney Chacheries and whala..Check out my picture album I have a pick of some drum grilling..

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    If its one of the bigger ones. Say 10 lbs and the water is cold. There good. Meat is somewhat like catfish. There meat is courser then catfish. But as long as the water is cold there good.
    We used to fry up enough to feed 100 people or so and most thought they were eating catfish. :big_smile: Even fed some at a fish fry one time. The people did not know what they were eating. And were talking about how good the catfish was. This was also from catfisherman.:cool2:
    But let the water warm up there not as good.:crazy: Don't know why but they just are not the same out of hot water as they are cold water.
    Pete

8. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Cold water drum huh? Pete i think you've just taught me sumthin that i already knew but didn't realize i knew until now (if that makes any sense).

I was gonna say that drum >5lbs were nasty and <5lbs were good if cooked fresh, but that rule hasn't always panned out and it's probably because of the water temp like you said.

I caught a 25lb drum on trotline about 25 yrs ago (summer) and was lookin forward to eating it and it turned out NASTY. I threw what I had frozen away it was so bad.

Thanks for the tip.

IS 25 LB DRUM TOO BIG TO BE GOOD TO EAT? just curious

9. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Ive always heard if your gonna eat a stringer of catfish and their maybe 12 lbs or more then soak their fillets or whatever in buttermilk.. may be the same case for drum. Lets all face it.. every fish that swims is REALLY in there to eat. So yes every fish whatever the taste may be it just needs to be seasoned a bit. Hope this helps. Happy Hookin'

10. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    TASTE LIEK BASS TOO ME...WE TAKE EM HOME ONLY WHEN WE HAVE EM LOL

11. festus

festus New Member

I used to keep a few drum in early spring, but it's been a long time. The ones I ate were probably no bigger than a foot long and maybe a pound total weight. Their meat looks similar to a white or yellow bass. I filleted them along with crappie, stripes, bluegill and catfish, fried them in beer batter, and they were ok. Usually I kept them only to fill out a stringer. I don't think they would be very appealing if they were over 2-3 pounds.

12. fatboy2006

fatboy2006 New Member

State:
    nc
    hey this is fatboy from nc .Take your drum and soak it in buttermilk for afew hours. What I like to do is cut the fish in to small nuggetts. Cook in peanut oil. House Autry seafood breaader is the best to use. Let me know how it works

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    No 25 lb is still good eating. Also if the water is cold. There's no reason to soak it in anything.
    Its just like catfish now. Here they have a stronger taste then in winter time or cold weather. I try to put up what fish I will be eating before end of june here. Then later on when the water starts cooling off I will keep even catfish again. All fish taste better out of cooler water then the hot water we have now.
    Also we fried the drum and it was great.. I do plan on smoking some this fall. I think a 20 lb or so fillet it out. And smoke it up. Should be good.
    Pete

14. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    had drum once, my wifes grandpa fried it up,, actually tasted pretty good, id definitely try it again

15. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Drum are a pain in the butt where i bank fish. You will think you have a good fish on, and them it surfaces only to be a drum. Have caught them over 25 lbs and they put up a good fight. I usually just throw them back, or if i am low on bait they get chopped up.

16. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Drum make great cut bait I think. I've heard they are good, can't tell the difference from crappie. I haven't eaten any in 40 years. I will be trying some soon tho. My wife can make about anything taste good. I catch a lot by accident. Most are about 6-8 inches long, not real big, and hardly big enough to fillet. There is no limit on them so I can catch a cooler full to bring home. Not sure my brother - in law will let me keep em in his freezer tho.

17. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Tim, don't you all call them sheepshead up north?

18. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't know about up north but down south in Louisiana we called them gaspergoo..A sheepshead is a saltwater fish..