anybody doing any good around here

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by recordbreakin1, Jul 29, 2008.

1. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Come on guys this place looks like its dead.Any body fishn lately or is it to hot.Wouldn't you know it as soon as the wind stops blowing the heat is too bad now.I think I will hit the lake this after noon.Let me know if you guys are catching any thing.

2. lwarchery

lwarchery New Member

State:
    Texas
    caught a few this past saturday on jugs and trotlines at aquilla

3. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Hey Bro what lake are you fishing? I fish the river but no good so far (trying the wrong tactics I guess) but have had some luck on Lake Waco.

4. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I am giving up fishing until September. I can't seem to catch anything but big gizzard shad, in my net. However,I am bowfishing my A$$ off until then. I've been seeing some big gator gar and some pretty big needlenose.

5. recordbreakin1

State:
    texas
    I live out on Eagle mountain lake and that is where is fish most of the time.I did realy well out on the brazos river out by Mineralwell last week.

6. Wally_jr

Wally_jr New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    went to arrowhead last week. ran some jugs and tied up to some old oil derricks, caught 2 on the jugs and 1 small channel on rod and reel, all were 1/2-2lbs. that little devil on the rod was about 1 1/2lbs but i could have swore he was bigger than that he took line off my ambasseder 7000 and bent my pole in half. not for too long then i realized he was just showin off. had a softball game so had to go in early. It was hot:confused2:

7. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    Well We haven't done any Cattin around here in a little over a month. We were at the Family Farm for over 3 weeks, as my Grandmother Passed Away, and we had to handle all of the stuff that goes with that! We did get to fish in the 25 acre tank that is on the farm though, and we caught 20+ channels and cooked them up on the grill! We have to be careful though about which fish we keep as there are some fish that have the parasites that look like pimples on the cats skin and there will be yellow cysts about the size of a BB in their fins. We THROW THOSE BACK!! TPWD says there is nothing you can do about the Parasites! BUT if ANYONE knows any different PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!! I would love to rid the water of those damn things!! (Excuse the language Lady's!) Some of the fish we caught were over 5+ lbs!

We DID however go fishing at Navarro Mills Lake a few Sundays ago, and we did quite well on Crappies and White Bass!! The Small shad were schooling next to the dam, so we tried our best to catch them all!!!:big_smile: I did catch a nice blue on a rattle trap, he went around 4lbs! We are planning to go back soon to do some more cattin and crappie fishing soon!! We are also looking forward to doing some camping there as well this fall! They have some VERY NICE CAMPING SITES!!!!

Well that's all I know for now, so Thanks for reading my Ramblings!
    Take Care and Keep Your Hook Wet!!!:wink:
    Andy:big_smile:

8. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Sorry to hear about your grandma. Mine is getting ready to pass,so I am getting ready to deal with that stuff. Congrats on the good catch. Hope it tasted pretty good.

9. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    We fished Choke Canyon Tuesday night. We caught about 25 cats and most were small. Real slow for Choke, but still a good trip. Catfishjon

10. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    Andy,

My sincerest condolences on the passing of your grandmother.

Rubes

11. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Sorry to hear of yall loss Andy

12. brother terry

brother terry New Member

State:
    texas
    Hey buddy I fish Eagle Mountain also.... I guide for cats and sandies on the lake...are you a member of the Ft. Worth Anglers club?

13. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    Thanks for the Thoughts Guys!!! She had a GOOD Long Life!!! She was going to be 95 this September! She was in the nursing home for the last 7 years, but that was mainly due to her BAD BACK, and not able to walk or support her on weight. She was NOT in any pain though till the last few days, and she went when Both Her living Daughters and my Sister and I there with Her! So We were BLESSED for that!!!

So THANK YOU ALL Again for the Thoughts!!
    Andy:big_smile:

14. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Howdy Mr. Motard,
    Luke Clayton here. Just wanted to clue you in on a BIG bowfishing tourney(roiugh fish) at PK in 2 weeks $5,000 first place, $2,500 second. It will be out of PK LODGE.. My buddy Harold Speed will put it on. I think this will be a lot of fun.You can contact Helen at PK Lodge to sign up or for more details..

15. recordbreakin1

State:
    texas
    I'm realy sorry about your grandma.Mine also just passed away recently so I know how you feel.You and your family will be in our prayers.

16. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Hey there Guys just thought that you all should know that come Sept. 1 bow fishing for catfish will no longer be legal at least that is what it said in the book that they give out at wally world. Guess that just means gar and carp are out of luck!! Just out of curiousity :confused2: has anyone ever eaten gar before :eek:oooh: and if so what the heck does it taste like:eek:oooh::confused2::eek:oooh:?

17. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    Good question Jesse, we were just wondering about that too. We saw one of those shows about fishing and they shot it at Choke Canyon Just down the hi-way from us. (about an hour or so)
    I think the folks that took them were called : extreme bowfishing

they might have a web site.

Rubes

18. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I saw a show a few weeks ago where they were taking them from somewhere near San Antonio that was flooded. They took a 100+ pounder out of the place but they didn't say what they do with them. Sure am curious though and on top of that I wouldn't know how to prep them! I am, if you can't tell, the adventureous type when it comes to food. I'm like Andrew Zimmern on the Travel channel "If it looks good... Eat it!" Just don't want to end up messing up a good catch and making a bad experience out of the meal keeping me from trying it again... Know what I mean?

Jess

19. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I ate my first gar recently. Must say,it was pretty damn good. As for cleaning it,I found a link to a site in the gar fishing thread. Don't know if it's still there,but you could google it. When I do another,I'll take some pics and post them. As far as gar being trash fish,thats the dumbest thing I hear. The meat cooked up bright white and very tasty. Just a different texture.

20. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    A Buddy of mine has eaten Gar before, and he says the same thing! He takes the meat from down the back like you would a Muskie, or the back straps on a deer, and fry it as you would any other fish! If you think about it Gar mostly eat LIVE FISH, so they should be as tasty as any other predator fish! I know the LOVE my Minnows and Shad, and look at Channel cats, they love STINK BAIT, and live on the bottom and are still good to eat!!:roll_eyes: My Buddy says the younger ones are better though. I guess cause the big ones are sooo OLD!

Just a little info!

Be careful and keep Your Hook WET!
    Andy