Anybody doing any catching?

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEW YORK TALK' started by splitshot, Apr 7, 2007.

1. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Has anyone fished and caught any channels at south bay yet???Ive about had it with this cold weather. Cold or no cold i plan i doing some catfishing at south bay this coming week. Ill be going in the afternoon and try to stay after dark so if ya see a big fire going it will probably be me, as long as the wind aint howling.

2. coreyfence

coreyfence New Member

State:
    new york
    my brother just caught a 15 lber. about 30 min. ago on chicken liver @ the bay

3. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    Its really cold down here in OK too. I'm sick of it. Fishing has slowed down alot.

4. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Man thats great news Jay thanks bud!!!!!!!:smile2:

5. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Might head out to that Baldwinsville Spot I talked about tomorrow morning......Turkey Season is open to. If I play my cards right Might do a little N.Y. Surf and Turf.....or would that be Surf and Air.....no I'll shoot it on the ground and stick with my first thought. Anyway, wetting a line is deffinitely on the menu.

Rich

6. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Good luck Rich, let us know how you do!!

7. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I sure will.......you changed your signature, I like it.

8. Willie Ketchum

Willie Ketchum New Member

State:
    New York
    Been catching a few small Channels, whites and bullheads while fishing bloodworms and sandworms for Stripers on the Hudson out of Kingston the last week or so... The river is still a bit chilly for this late (52-54) but I'm sure I'll see some nicer catfish when i start fishing cutbait this week. In addition to a bunch of schoolie stripers this week, also boated (and quickly released) a shortnosed sturgeon..my first in 25 years on the river!

9. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thanks for the report Mark, i wished you could have gotten a pic. of the sturgeon. Ill be going to south bay monday or tuesday for a all nighter.

10. Willie Ketchum

State:
    New York
    Splitshot, I tried to get a pic with my digital..but the battery was dead.piece of junk rips through batteries like crazy..my buddy had a disposable and we got a shot with that .. he promised me a copy when he gets them developed..so I'll put one up when i get it.. I hope you put a whuppin on 'em on your all nighter!

11. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thanks for putting up a avatar, always nice to see who your talking to.

12. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Well it was a great couple of vacations days!!! I harvested a 20lb tom on Thurs. and caught 6 Channels on Fri. (Probably missed twice as many as I caught) They ranged from 2-6lbs. I caught them on Bowkers shad added. Went back on Saturday and got skunked. The Bowker I bought for this trip barely had an odor, whereas the previous batch triggered the old gag reflex. The fish sure seemed to notice a difference. The weather wasn't the same so I guess I cant blame it all on the bait, but, Bowker's will be hearing from me. Anyway what a great couple of days. For Link to the Turkey pic see below.

Rich

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47877

13. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Well guys this is a first for me ive been fishing three days in a row without catching a single channel cat. Ive fished the bay, the champlain canal, and the Hudson. Fished with cut herring, perch, gills, chicken livers and suckers, ive fished deep and shallow, fished early and late---Nothing!!:crazy: Any advice would be appreciated!!!!!!:big_smile:

14. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY

Brother, I can't tell you anything about your waters you don't already know. Just be persistant and throw those baits you know are good. If water conditions are the same in your part of the state you're up against fast, cold , waters. I've got two spots that are good about 50% of the time right now. They both have fast current on one side and lock canal slack water on the other. Both are points that stick out between the two water types. The fish seem to be staging in the slow water along the current break with the fast. I assume they are gobbling up whatever comes out of the current. I haven't caught any slobs yet, but, they seem to be producing three to four fish a trip, along with about as many missed runs. If you can match these conditions in your waterways you may get into some fish. That about all I got. Good luck and keep me posted.

Rich

15. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thanks Rich, i think the biggest problem is me.:lol: My wife said to me yesterday. (Quote)--Honey you do this every spring, you know the water is to high and to cold but you continue to beat yourself up when you dont catch anything. She is right im like a kid waiting for Christmas. The catfishing around here rarely picks up till late May early June and i do the same thing every spring. Think ill go trout fishing!!!:smile2:

16. coreyfence

coreyfence New Member

State:
    new york
    Ha,Ha:lol: Same here. Benn real warm the last few days though. I'm gonna try the Hudson over in S.G.F. I think. I haven't fished in over a week

17. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Well i called a buddy up and we went trout fishing. The spot we fished is a small natural pond about two miles from my house. Not to many people fish it cause ya have to have a four wheel drive and you still have to walk in about a quarter of a mile. We both caught our limit of native brook trout in two hrs. Would have some pics. but left my camera in my cattin bag. Fresh trout for dinner!!:smile2:

18. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Well that ought to ease your pain a bit....LOL

19. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Yup did ease the pain somewhat, and tasted good too!!!:lol:

20. Willie Ketchum

State:
    New York
    Nicely done splitshot..A proper feeding of body and soul! Hopefully the cats will co-operate as well for you on your next trip.. :smile2: