anybody do good this weekend?

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by catman79, Aug 23, 2009.

1. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    i was just wondering how everybody did this weekend,i caught a carp and a turtle.neither of which i was fishing for

2. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    where you from and what river do you fish?

3. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I haven't fished a whole lot lately, but I know there are some Bridge Brothers that have been doing real well lately here in Des Moines, fishing has definitely picked up for us the past couple of weeks. I don't know if it is the weather patterns we have been having, the shad run that is picking up, or they are finally coming out of their spawn nests...

4. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    caught a small flattie and missed one. the bite is definitly better than it has been in probably a month and a half. caught fish my last 2 times out, got some channels in the freezer waiting for a small flattie so I can have some belly meat!!! but not as small as the one I caught sat.

5. the watcher

the watcher New Member

State:
    Iowa
    caught a 6 inch channel on the wapsi

6. Catfish Dave

Catfish Dave New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I fished Ada Hayden in Ames on Saturday and experienced my first skunking this year.

The only location for bait in Ames was out of my favored bait, 6"-7" minnows (chub, suckers, dace). I used some frozen minnows and convinced a few friendly people on the shore to part with some sunfish.

Ada Hayden is an old gravel pit. I would estimate the average depth at 40 ft and with 60 ft being the deepest. There was a visible thermocline on the sonar at about 20 ft.

I had one decent hit and had half a sunfish come up missing during my day.

When I was packing up my kayak I gave my remaining frozen bait to a guy fishing on shore. He had two hits while I was packing up. :(

Oh well.

7. mudcat89

mudcat89 New Member

State:
    IA
    On the Iowa last week. Did good with cutbait on channel cats.. Put in at Tama and went north.

8. 89Ricky89

89Ricky89 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Been catching smaller channel on the Des Moines in the Fort Dodge area, but not much action.